Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Useless chart. Why? Here's why, IMO:

Superman should be the slowest of the group. His power is bound by the laws of physics of the DCU, not by "magic", or "pure energy".

Ahead of him would be the godly-empowered bunch, with Black Racer in the lead, followed by Wonder Woman, then Shazam, then Cheetah, all whom are empowered by their gods, and are avatars.

Then you have those empowered by the Speed Force, like the Flash Family, Godspeed and so forth.

Now, this isn't to say that any number of them can't increase their speed. Other factors, including training, can take things up a notch. But the back half of the bunch are not "speedsters", while the front half are. Just saying...
    Have you heard bioelectric aura and gravity manipulation other whimsical explanations. He doesn't need magic. He can be as fast as he pleases and tries. Don't bring that kind of Explanation. He isn't bound by anything. He is born to break the chains that bind him.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    You got it wrong. Max Landis said "superman is the guy from kansas who got the best superpowers. He is unstoppable". Don't twist words to suit your narrative. Superman is "the man of tomorrow". He can do anything any man can imagine and then some. That is the core of the silverage guy.
    One, thank you for the correction. It's been a while since I last heard the quote.

Two, my original point still stands. It's not about his "powers", but who the man is, as Max continued to describe him.

BTW, Don't let that stick up your butt get in the way of a good discussion. You're coming off a bit combative in this case.

Incredible Member

Have you heard bioelectric aura and gravity manipulation other whimsical explanations. He doesn't need magic. He can be as fast as he pleases and tries. Don't bring that kind of Explanation. He isn't bound by anything. He is born to break the chains that bind him.
    And, I began, IMO, why Superman should be in last place. I also stated that there were exceptions to this, too. So, yeah.

Incredible Member

And, I began, IMO, why Superman should be in last place. I also stated that there were exceptions to this, too. So, yeah.

One, thank you for the correction. It's been a while since I last heard the quote.

Two, my original point still stands. It's not about his "powers", but who the man is, as Max continued to describe him.

BTW, Don't let that stick up your butt get in the way of a good discussion. You're coming off a bit combative in this case.
    I am cause. Its been a while and people don't seem to get the meaning behind "superman". They just want average man. We have been stuck with just that guy since 1980's.superman as an ip has never gotten any better.people keep saying and trying to tell what superman shouldn't be.and never say what he should be. Power matters. The powers accentuate the man he is and the character he has. To quote Lincoln said: “Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. ”
    If power really didn't matter? Then fine, have flash lose and be second. Superman is a flight of imagination. Especially, when he is the silverage guy. Without that there is no impact.he is fast. He is strong. He is intelligent. He can do anything except control your desires and action. That is the essence of silverage guy. The best superman we had in two decades had the silverage guy. All star superman is silverage guy in a nutshell. "human" ising clark like peter parker has never worked and will never work. They are two different characters with two different evolution.

Astonishing Member

You got it wrong. Max Landis said "superman is the guy from kansas who got the best superpowers. He is unstoppable". Don't twist words to suit your narrative. Superman is "the man of tomorrow". He can do anything any man can imagine and then some. That is the core of the silverage guy.
    Max Landis is a fucking awful creep who's never going to write a comic again because of it so I'm not sure you should be taking his word as holy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Max Landis is a fucking awful creep who's never going to write a comic again because of it so I'm not sure you should be taking his word as holy.
    I don't need to. The books from 1930's to 1980's speak it for me. @dswynne was the one who said superman doesn't or shouldn't be this or that - something Along those lines. Superman doesn't need power to be superman .. Etc. That's all suger cotting nonsense. Powerfantasy is one of superman's attributes. That's the blunt truth. And I just said what max landis really said.Superman was best when he was breaking chains. Not when he settled for being in them comfortably .

Astonishing Member

Power Fantasy is also part of the Flash's fantasy. I don't get why you think Superman's tertiary power fantasy should overrule Flash's primary.

I mean, I get why. You like Superman more. But it's not a good reason.

Power Fantasy is also part of the Flash's fantasy. I don't get why you think Superman's tertiary power fantasy should overrule Flash's primary.

I mean, I get why. You like Superman more. But it's not a good reason.
    It’s the preference of many Superman fans..especially those steeped in the Silver Age..fans that Superman is top echelon in his core powers, intelligence, vision, strength, speed, physical durability.

It’s up to DC whether they want to cater to that preference..there’s a fair amount of evidence they don’t..so I guess at least some such fans do what I do and don’t bother buying any modern Superman stuff.

Astonishing Member

Flash was the fastest man alive in the Silver Age, too. This hasn't changed.

He was tied to superman. Pretty much. Barry allen still isn't the fastest. I have no problem with flash being fastest. Saying the superman can't compete is where i draw the line.i only said flash should lose to prove a point.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 10-17-2019 at 09:46 PM.

This is silly. Superman isn't "Superman" just because of his power-set. If he was defined by his power-set, then he would be "Averageman" simply because there are others who have similar power-sets.

No, Superman is Superman because he is a good man who can do the impossible: to inspire others to use their gifts to protect others from harm's way. Or, as Maz Landis would say, "Clark is just a good guy from Kansas who has no tragic back-story to inspire him to be a champion of Justice." No other character is like that, which is why Superman is the best character of them all.
    But he is not just a normal man. He is man of tomorrow, a sun god and one who invokes myths of old. He is modern Hercules, except with the humility and an example of nurture trumping over temptation of absolute power. If Superman is just another hero who gets bested in everything, where is the awe of his power?

He was and wasn't depending on the story. But he never left Superman in dust as Flash fans prefer it nowadays.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Max being a creep and his opinions on Superman aren't mutually exclusive. He can still be an absolute rubbish person and be correct about a fictional construct or character. Judging an idea based on its source as opposed to its own merit is the practice of every adult who wishes themselves to be in some way an authority on a matter, such as when parents dismiss their children's input because how can a child know more than an adult? You don't have to be an actor to critique a performance and you certainly don't have to be a good person to have an opinion on a fictional good person.

A good idea is a good idea, no matter where it comes from. I don't want Max Landis writing Clark again for a long time-- if ever-- but he can still provide his own insight that may be particularly well-founded. Neither fundamentally invalidates the other.
    Last edited by Robanker; 10-17-2019 at 10:26 PM.

Useless chart. Why? Here's why, IMO:

Superman should be the slowest of the group. His power is bound by the laws of physics of the DCU, not by "magic", or "pure energy".

Ahead of him would be the godly-empowered bunch, with Black Racer in the lead, followed by Wonder Woman, then Shazam, then Cheetah, all whom are empowered by their gods, and are avatars.

Then you have those empowered by the Speed Force, like the Flash Family, Godspeed and so forth.

Now, this isn't to say that any number of them can't increase their speed. Other factors, including training, can take things up a notch. But the back half of the bunch are not "speedsters", while the front half are. Just saying...
    Having your powers born from magic or god gifted doesn't makes you do anything special in fiction. By that logic they should be faster than Flashes too since they are also bound by laws of physics.

Superman was a speedster before Flash was even a concept.