Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default John Constantine Appreciation thread 2022

An appreciation thread for our favorite Laughing Magician.

Upcoming appearances:

Comics:
    - Justice League Dark backups seem to be wrapped up for now, but JLD is supposed to be a part of upcoming Justice League event Lords of Chaos. Hopefully John will have some appearances there.
    - John currently appears in a 6-part storyline in Batman: Urban Legends with Batman and Zatanna.

TV:
    - His storyline in Legends of Tomorrow has wrapped, although Matt Ryan continues on the show as another character. (Lucky for me, I am way behind on all Arrowverse shows, so I still have one full season to enjoy)
    - There's the announced Justice League Dark series produced by J. J. Abrams for HBO Max, but there's been little detail so far. No casting announcement yet.
    - Not John personally, but his ancestor Johanna Constantine will be a part of upcoming Netflix series Sandman, played by Jenna Coleman. The first season has been filmed, we are still waiting for the release date.

Other:
    - John is supposed to be in an animated DC Showcase short Constantine: House of Mystery sometime this Spring, voiced once again by Matt Ryan.

Feel free to let me know if I missed anything.

What are everyone's wishes or predictions for this year?

Personally, I enjoy John both in his own comics and as a part of DC universe, so I would love to see him get his own series again, preferably a continuation of Spurrier's run. If not, at least some limited Black Label book, like Rise and Fall. And I hope that JLD will continue in some form, preferably as a separate title, I really liked the last one by Tynion IV and Ram V.

In other media, I loved Matt Ryan's portrayal and hoped he could continue playing him in the JLD series, but that seems to be unlikely at this point. I hope that we at least get some more info soon and that the project will not get stuck, because I am beginning to fear that, as there has not been much info since it was announced almost two years ago.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Continuation of Spurrier's run would be awesome. He nailed Classic Hellbalzer Conjob

Quote Originally Posted by chamber-music View Post
    Continuation of Spurrier's run would be awesome. He nailed Classic Hellbalzer Conjob
    Same. I don't think he works in the DCU, he just feels restrained by it. So I'm fine with him leaving it- keep him in the Sandman universe imprint.

Just started the Sandman comics and now I'm very keen to read more John Constantine. can anyone help me with recommendations? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Just started the Sandman comics and now I'm very keen to read more John Constantine. can anyone help me with recommendations? Thank you.
    The Spurrier/Campbell run is a good start.

Comixology has Hellblazer omnibuses so there's an option. It depends on how you feel about old comics.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The Spurrier/Campbell run is a good start.

Comixology has Hellblazer omnibuses so there's an option. It depends on how you feel about old comics.
    i don't mind old comics so long as the story is enjoyable.

More importantly i want to get to know John. follow his Journey.

So start from the 1980s Hellblazer.

Astonishing Member

The Jamie Delano and Garth Ennis runs on Hellblazer (i.e., up through #84) are essential reading, but they are very much tied to the society of England at the time, namely the final years of Margaret Thatcher's tenure as PM and the years immediately following. John is a rebel, and to fully appreciate his character you meed to know some background of just what he is rebelling against. Even if you don't, it's still a fine comic. I would add the Hellblazer Annuals, and the 4-part Books of Magic that gave us Neil Gaiman's tour of DC's stable of wielders of the craft. (John is one of the 4 guides - the "Trench Coat Brigade" - who show young Tim Hunter who's who and what's what.) Spurrier's recent series had John being in modern England pretty much what Hellblazer had him being around 1990, namely an angry bloke who takes a stand (and casts a spell) against the government and society in general, so once again it helps to have read a newspaper. Anyway, enjoy!

Seconding the original Hellblazer comics, most importantly Jamie Delano's run (issues 1-40) and the recent Spurrier run.

Also, maybe you would be interested in Alan Moore's Swamp Thing comics where John debuted as a supporting character. That would be Swamp Thing 2nd series, issues 37-50, if I remember correctly. The end of that storyline is also a kind of precursor to Justice League Dark, as it includes probably all magical characters that existed at that time.

Constantine: WB Circling Ṣọpẹ Dìrísù To Star As John Constantine In New HBO Max Series: Exclusive

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2022/...%A3ope-dirisu/
    According to our sources Warner Bros. is circling Ṣọpẹ Dìrísù to play John Constantine in the new HBO Max series. Ṣọpẹ Dìrísù is an exciting possibility with the British Nigerian actor having experience in film, television, and on stage. With this series focusing on horror and the warlock often finding himself embroiled in supernatural mysteries, Ṣọpẹ Dìrísù could be the perfect actor to take on this beloved role. With experience in horror from the film His House and action with the British action crime drama series Gangs Of London.
    What do you guys think?

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Constantine: WB Circling Ṣọpẹ Dìrísù To Star As John Constantine In New HBO Max Series: Exclusive

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2022/...%A3ope-dirisu/

What do you guys think?
    No idea who that is but best of luck bruv. Matt Ryan was perfect casting. I can feel the "outrage" machine getting started....lol
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-20-2022 at 05:25 PM.

Extraordinary Member

No idea who that is but best of luck bruv. Matt Ryan was perfect casting. I can feel the "outrage" machine getting started....lol
    And he got to play Constantine for almost 10 years live and in animation

They were never gonna transfer CW actors

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    And he got to play Constantine for almost 10 years live and in animation

They were never gonna transfer CW actors
    He's the perfect John, though, performance and look-wise.

I'm glad they brought him back for the House of Mystery showcase short. Maybe he'll get to continue with John in animaton.

I am completely fine with where this could potentially go...