Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 73
  1. #1
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    4,774

    Question Why Does Anyone Continue?

    In light of this unfortunate conclusion of the Wedding in Batman. I found myself asking a big question for all this is why is everyone complaining about Marvel and DC when there are people still buying their stuff? People went into a tirade over the Death in the Family where a hotline was set up to vote for a conclusion that was already decided and they still buy from them. And then came the Death of Superman and they still bought from DC even though complaints came about being cheated. Civil War happened and they still bought from them. One More Day happened and Spider-Man is still in print and selling. The New 52 happened and people still buy DC. Civil War II happened and Marvel still sells somewhat. The mass replacement and downgrade of all Marvel's flagship characters came and people still buy from them. Secret Empire happened and for all the anger regarding Captain America people still buy from Marvel. And now this. Let me ask for all the complaints and predictions that either company would die out one day from all this why is it aside from the odd person out there who has left them out of disappointment why does anyone from them after so many scandals and issues still even buy their stuff? And why should anyone believe that either company would die or a certain franchise would take a hit when the past thirty or so years have proven otherwise for some reason regardless of the bungling of the publishers, public relations guys, editors, and writers?

    PS: And no independent publishers are not to be trusted either I know I certainly don't because they are human and can make the same mistakes DC and Marvel have committed.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 07-04-2018 at 06:58 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  2. #2
    Fantastic Member Chubistian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    477

    Default

    I donít like how DC handled the marketing, but I like what King has been doing in Batman, so personally I donít have a reason to stop reading it yet, even less reason to stop reading DC. I didnít care much if the wedding came to fruition or not. I donít have big problems with Marvel either
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

    "We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

  3. #3
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    I don’t like how DC handled the marketing, but I like what King has been doing in Batman, so personally I don’t have a reason to stop reading it yet, even less reason to stop reading DC. I didn’t care much if the wedding came to fruition or not. I don’t have big problems with Marvel either
    Yet people still say all kinds of things about them and have even come back or jumped to either company. At this point I see little reason to complain about this when truth be told I lose adn gain nothing by reading the stuff from either company except time that could have been used for other tthings.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  4. #4
    Incredible Member Restingvoice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    994

    Default

    What I've heard are people who don't want to have a hole in their collection and people who are scared they're gonna cancel the book featuring their favorite characters. Especially if that character only has one book and nothing else to fall on.

    I already stopped a long time ago but I have fallen in love with some of the characters in the period when I read it, so I check every once in a while to see if there's a reason to buy again. So far I got only 2 or 3 one-shots of Nightwing. Not enough to follow an ongoing, and the one reason they have for me to pick up Batman has been cancelled, so the next reason would be if it'll actually happen, oh, two years from now. If not, then nah.

    Oh, I'll keep an eye on the next Super-Sons, especially when they're out of continuity because they'll be free of my reason not to read the DC comics.

    I guess my answer is, I will not pick up the liars, the bait and switch, and the inconsistent ones, because those are my gripes, but will support the ones that are free of those things. Then if I do end up not liking them, I will stop picking those as well.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 07-04-2018 at 05:49 AM.

  5. #5
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,792

    Default

    Right now, as far as I am concerned, it's way more probable that I start reading Batman on a regular basis and I stop reading posts on the boards.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

    DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

  6. #6

    Default

    I have no problem dropping a book if I'm not enjoying it. Going digital for the most part has made it a lot easier to drop something without being precious about my collection being complete.

    I find it helps sticking to good runs rather than characters and trying out something new whenever you drop something. Reading older stuff helps too.

  7. #7
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Someplace thats not here
    Posts
    1,658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Sneezing_Stormtrooper View Post
    I have no problem dropping a book if I'm not enjoying it. Going digital for the most part has made it a lot easier to drop something without being precious about my collection being complete.

    I find it helps sticking to good runs rather than characters and trying out something new whenever you drop something. Reading older stuff helps too.
    I agree on the digital part. Although for me its often not the case of stopping with reading it completely but putting it in my wish list on comixology and then waiting for a sale. They come often enough that its not really a problem for me. 2.99/3.99 is more then I am willing to pay for a series I am not completely cracy about but 0.99 is not.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member Nite-Wing's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,385

    Default

    People get mad but I doubt anyone on this forum is ever going to be mad enough to get rid of all their DC comics and trades
    And that's exactly why nothing changes because all the outrage amounts to nothing.
    Batman will still be DC's top book

  9. #9
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    People get mad but I doubt anyone on this forum is ever going to be mad enough to get rid of all their DC comics and trades
    And that's exactly why nothing changes because all the outrage amounts to nothing.
    Batman will still be DC's top book
    I won't get rid of any of my comics, but I have essentially stopped collecting comic books for a period of time in the past.
    But then after a while, I get nostalgic for the joy I remember of reading about heroes like the Justice Society of America (usually pre-CoIE version, but the later early 1990s runs) and start to browse again.
    If I drop DC books now, though, I'm not sure that will happen again. I've been annoyed with DC even before the King/Bat-Cat-wedding-FUBAR; Batgirl was the only Bat-connected book I was still buying. But it was the hope of the JSA returning has been one of the few things that has kept me going, though even that may not be strong enough at this rate.

  10. #10
    Fantastic Member Chubistian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Yet people still say all kinds of things about them and have even come back or jumped to either company. At this point I see little reason to complain about this when truth be told I lose adn gain nothing by reading the stuff from either company except time that could have been used for other tthings.
    Well, if that was my position, I probably wouldn't keep on reading comics from DC nor Marvel. I read comics when I find a title that I enjoy, I gain entertainment, inspiration and a hand of feelings depending on the title/story
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

    "We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

  11. #11
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    Well, if that was my position, I probably wouldn't keep on reading comics from DC nor Marvel. I read comics when I find a title that I enjoy, I gain entertainment, inspiration and a hand of feelings depending on the title/story
    All I know is that for all the feelings of disrespect many feel towards either company it doesn't seem to last but I would actually do that same as you regardless of which one does commit a scandal though i don't read titles I don't like.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

  12. #12
    Mighty Member My Two Cents's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,328

    Default

    I love to read comic books....... so I read comic books.

  13. #13
    Boisterously Confused
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,050

    Default

    I suppose the answer to why some keep coming back is different for each who does so.

    Would you mind clarifying one point for me? When you say "scandal," to what are you referring?

  14. #14
    Fantastic Member Chubistian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Chile
    Posts
    477

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    All I know is that for all the feelings of disrespect many feel towards either company it doesn't seem to last but I would actually do that same as you regardless of which one does commit a scandal though i don't read titles I don't like.

    I also avoid reading things that I don't like. I've never felt disrespected by those companies, but I get why some people feel as they do. I have complaints, of course, I wasn't fond at the idea behind the N52, par example, but it didn't mean I was pissed off at DC and some cool stories came out of it
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

    "We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

  15. #15
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Look East
    Posts
    4,774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I suppose the answer to why some keep coming back is different for each who does so.

    Would you mind clarifying one point for me? When you say "scandal," to what are you referring?
    I'm referring to the all these controversial things that both companies often to get publicity like Identity Crisis while well-liked it was a very controversial story. And One More Day which was simply a contrived story where the plot had to be forced in the direction Marvel wanted it to go.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •