Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardEugenius View Post
    ... Why was Old Man Logan the envoy when Storm, her friend who is like a sister, was right there?...
    OMG, lol, I should've known. It's OK, you'll get over it. I already have.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    ... one book that’s getting good reviews. ...
    Just like PhoeniX Resurrection. But hey, to each their own.
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 07-11-2018 at 02:28 PM.

BANNED

I'm liking this roster and recently I've become a huge Rosenberg fan, so this will be the only X-title I'm reading for now (apart from the upcoming Wolverine mini by Soule).

*Clutches Pearls* LeonardEugenius's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Heroine Addict View Post
    OMG, lol, I should've known. It's OK, you'll get over it. I already have.
    My like or dislike of a character has no effect on continuity nor preexisting relationships. Just like my like or dislike of a character doesn't make or break a comic. Phoenix Ressurection's characterizations were wonky and the dialogue followed suit. The pacing was . . . nonexistent, because it meandered for four issues. Jean was gone over a decade, and this sloppily written concoction is what they muster? And huzzah, nice try. I'm no Storm stan. My favorite thing she's done all year was get knocked out in that issue of Gold where they went after Omega Red. Insert some "lols" and "omgs" in there wherever you think they'll best accentuate my point. 🙃

BANNED

My... dislike... is... my point. 🙃
    I took a quick look at some of your previous posts, and this is what I came away with. So by all means, carry on, it's of no consequence to me. As I said, to each their own.

BANNED

The HITS, just keep comin'!

DoYouEvenComicBook.com, REVIEW: Astonishing X-Men #13
    ... Rosenberg is a well-established X-Fan and it shows in each panel of Astonishing X-Men #13. ... Rosenberg understands the X-Men mythology, and knows how to use the world to the fullest. ...

... might already be the best X-book out right now.

So, as I mentioned before, Havok gives this speech. One about Xavier’s dream, in the middle of the book. It’s a speech that not only points out what Havok believes, but what the X-Men are. They are heroes in a world of people who fear them, so what should they do? Protect themselves? No, they need to be heroes, they need to astonish. That’s what X-Men is, that’s what Havok wants to feel again, astonishment. That seems to be the moral of the book, mutant heroes saving a world that’s scared of them. Like Havok says at the very beginning, “Even when I was little, I was never afraid to face my fears.”

This is just the first chapter in the hands of a writer that could have an all-star run. This is just the tip of Havok’s iceberg, we haven’t delved into Beast or the sixth X-Man or the other four members on the cover. Already ongoing series that pick up when new creative teams come on, have somewhat of a precedent for not selling, in recent years. Don’t let this be one of them. This is the most X-Men-feeling X-Book out right now, and you can feel that radiating off the page. You can feel Havok’s frustration, Beast’s annoyance, Kitty’s anger, and any book that remembers Shark Girl exists deserve to be read.

Verdict: 4 out of 5
    I agree on the speech, found it REALLY inspiring. Probably my favorite part, among many, save the BIG Banshee reveal.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    We dont know who owns the trademark. Everything in this thread is speculation based off of what Kitty said, which could have been a lie. Lets say the X-men name was trademark, did Xavier do it under his name or the school? Lets say he did it under the school. The headmaster doesnt own the school; they only run it. Its a job. To bring in an analogy, its like a CEO being hired to run a company. Said CEO doesnt now own the company and its intellectual property. They just run and oversee things.

Alot of this speculation is based off of Xavier getting the name trademarked. For all we know Wolverine, Beast or even Quentine Quire could have done so. This has never been brought up till now
    I don't know many aspects of the X-Men that we don't see are based off less than speculation let alone a character directly acknowledging it herself. Kitty has no reason to lie to Havok of all people who was a "villain" five seconds ago he was recruiting x-kids he was so desperate.

Plus Xavier created the name and was the head of the X-Men as a superhero group I don't think it's out of the realm of possibilities he trademarked the X-brand to ensure it couldn't be used by anyone else. And personally I don't find it unreasonable that in the case of his demise he took precautions to have his assets and the X-brand transferable to whoever was leader/headmaster. Especially when the school itself has never been the message or the symbol it's been destroyed, repaired, and relocated to several locations at this point.

Kitty stated it and we don't have any proof at this point to question it until a story tells us so, this is also imho more believable than some of the more forced or contrived things we've seen even recently.

IT WAS TRASH!

Nothing happened for four issues, and when things finally did happen they made no sense. Why was Old Man Logan the envoy when Storm, her friend who is like a sister, was right there? This guy clearly did not read up on Jean. It was trash in a bag, but I appreciate your use of gifs. And I don’t think you have to remind people that they are welcome to their own opinion. It’s like saying that you’re free to inhale or exhale as you wish.
    Rosenberg has had a good run with the New Mutants series, and scored a hit with his first issue of AXM. But no one will convince me otherwise that PR was anything other than prodding, superficial, retreads of Jean's life without any of the emotional impact. Five issues of Jean utterly irrelevant to a miniseries dedicated to who Jean was. Love or hate them the several Wolverine miniseries tell a story that gives all the characters something to do while reminding the audience why these people have come together under the strength of one person.

Jean had been gone for fourteen years at that point, and that was the "big" return she received. PR could have been a unique opportunity for an in depth examination of Jean, who she was as person, why she mattered or why any of the people involved cares other than the overtold tale of the big bad and evil DP. Instead she was less involved in her own story til the end where everything is nicely cleaned up without celebrating or acknowleding the purpose of her return Red did that and in less issues.

Ultimate Member

Almost makes me wonder if Arcade is the big bad...or was his name there just a joke given that amusement park behind Alex...

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    Almost makes me wonder if Arcade is the big bad...or was his name there just a joke given that amusement park behind Alex...
    I noticed it when the book came out. If so, it's subtle yet not subtle foreshadowing on Rosenberg's part. Dazzler in Murderworld would be trippy.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

Potentially GREAT news, Astonishing 2.0 fans:

ComicsBeat.com, Comixology Sales Chart: Batman Tops Walking Dead and Critical Role Returns to the List (Week of 7/4/18)
    ... In the #12 slot, Astonishing X-Men was hyped as a sort of soft relaunch with a new creative team and sales sure do seem to be up. It’s outselling X-Men Gold, which also appeared to be up a little, so I’m guessing that the pair are selling somewhere around the print equivalent of 40K… which is a hit by current Marvel standards. ...
    If this holds, it could turn out to be best selling X-title for the month. AND, it held the following week & stayed top 10, among:

BleedingCool.com, Comixology Bestseller List 14th July 2018 – Bend it like Bendis
    ... Old Issue Rankings:

1. Batman #50
    2. Justice League #3
    3. Captain America #1
    4. Man of Steel #6
    5. The Walking Dead #181
    6. Avengers #4
    7. Catwoman #1
    8. The Immortal Hulk #2
    9. Cosmic Ghost Rider #1
    10. Astonishing X-Men #13...
    Of note, from the first link:
    ... I’ve had multiple publishers tell me that digital sales of new issues are roughly 10-15% of print sales and the titles more or less have the same proportional popularity in digital as in print. ...
    And if THIS holds, closer to the higher end, it could put it near 50K.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnapulon5000 View Post
    I’m not gonna blame someone for not reading up on jean and writing her the way her rabid fans want her to be written because Jean and Storm fans want both characters to be the only two x people ever doing anything and everything in a damn book with the hyper exclusion of literally everyone else. Matt Rosenberg apparently has more interesting characters they choose to focus on and hot damn characterize wonderfully. Phoenix Rez was probably his homework. ��
    Don't come for Jean fans, we're certainly not rabid and even if we were after 14 years, multiple stand ins, and teased returns we've earned it. Be less bitter, Alison is actually in a ongoing.

BANNED

Ya know, I thought that the Disney/Fox deal would've made X-fans happier as a whole, and more in harmony with one another. But strangely, it seems to have had the opposite effect, for some reason. It feels like there's more sharp elbows than ever, which is sayin' somethin'. I just find that, peculiar, and counterintuitive.

BANNED

Yet ANOTHER one:

MonkeysFightingRobots.co, Rosenberg & Land Give ASTONISHING X-MEN A Major Face-Lift
    Astonishing X-Men gets a face-lift in the form of a new creative team. Lead by writer Matthew Rosenberg and artist Greg Land, this new lineup and direction is a very promising one. ...

... Matthew Rosenberg has absolutely been on fire recently with his Marvel contributions, this seems to be another great addition to his collection of X-Men work. There’s an injection of joy and excitement that was missing towards the end of Charles Soule’s 12-issue run of Astonishing X-Men. With the heavy dose of humor, there’s also a star-studded cast that bounce perfectly off of Summers as he takes a tour through some of Marvel’s mutants.

The little character moments are fantastic. Alex and Hank talking about superhero fatigue, Kitty phasing through the chalk-board, Havok getting the Stark treatment, etc. Astonishing X-Men #13 has so much charm spread throughout all of the featured characters. Havok’s thirst for being an X-Men and what it means to him puts him right in the reader’s shoes. ...

... As X-Men: Gold and X-Men: Blue trend more and more into obscurity, irrelevance, and apparent cancellation, Astonishing X-Men emerges to keep X-Men fans satisfied. Between Astonishing X-Men and X-Men: Red, Marvel has their new flagship X-books. It’s safe to say at this point, any time you see Matthew Rosenberg writing mutants you need to pick it up.

OVERALL SCORE
    (Out of 5)

Ultimate Member

I think that Soule's Astonishing run ended on such a flat note that this is so different that it's helped by how the last run ended, not saying that #13 was bad or anything but it was helped by the previous run so hopefully this run keeps the momentum going...

Would love it if Rosenberg somehow became the architect of the x-books.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    I think that Soule's Astonishing run ended on such a flat note that this is so different that it's helped by how the last run ended, not saying that #13 was bad or anything but it was helped by the previous run so hopefully this run keeps the momentum going...
    IDK, maybe, I guess. But I definitely agree with the first, and of course, loudly echo the second. TBH tho, I think this:

... Astonishing X-Men #13 has so much charm...
    ... from that latest review I posted, was key, as it just flowed effortlessly from every page. It helped give it that classic feel, fused with a modern sensibility. Making it a pure delight to eXperience, filled to the brim with dynamism, and just SO solidly entertaining. I truly enjoyed it a great deal, and can't recommend it enough. Immensely lookin' forward to the neXt issue, with MUCH more Banshee, I anticipate. And naturally, the glorious Dazzler, arriving on the scene.

... my friend.