Super Moderator

Default "Hellblazer's" Past Weighs in on "Constantine's" Future

"Hellblazer" writers Jamie Delano, Mike Carey, Peter Milligan & Paul Jenkins react to NBC's "Constantine" series and whether the comic should even be adapted.

Full article here.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

This was a great article! I really want to go back and re-read the entire series from the beginning now...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Mild-mannered journalist

Many of their criticisms could be arguably levied against the character they're insisting is John Constantine in "Justice League Dark" and "Constantine." (Of course, the way they sent off "Hellblazer" sort of winks at the idea that character may not be our John, anyway.)

BANNED

I don't have much experience with Constantine other than the dreadful Keanu Reeves movie. I thought this would be cool but somehow I missed the part where this is going to be on NBC and now my level of excitement has taken a severe nose dive. I'm glad I ordered Hellblazer vol.1.

Like Hellblazer, this was a good read.
    BB

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hanson724 View Post
    I don't have much experience with Constantine other than the dreadful Keanu Reeves movie. I thought this would be cool but somehow I missed the part where this is going to be on NBC and now my level of excitement has taken a severe nose dive. I'm glad I ordered Hellblazer vol.1.
    See I enjoyed the Constantine movie. Yes I admit it wasn't a good adaptation of the character, but overall as a movie I enjoyed it.

BANNED

A good (and what should have been obvious) question to have asked these writers was: would they feel more confident about a TV show if it was on a paid channel like HBO or Showtime, instead of NBC, where all the edge of the Hellblazer series could have been much more graphically and faithfully depicted. Or even on BBC, where it probably would have a much more British/Liverpool feel.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    A good (and what should have been obvious) question to have asked these writers was: would they feel more confident about a TV show if it was on a paid channel like HBO or Showtime, instead of NBC, where all the edge of the Hellblazer series could have been much more graphically and faithfully depicted. Or even on BBC, where it probably would have a much more British/Liverpool feel.
    I know I would. There's some amazing scenes in the comic I know that will either flat out not appear or have to be heavily altered to make it to tv.

All-New Member

There's a real irony to seeing Milligan, Hellblazer's worst writer by far, commenting negatively about someone else's approach to the series and the character. His run was so far off the mark, from start to finish, that it was laughable. He never understood Constantine as a character, he had no clue how to write John's dialog, his knowledge of the previous writers' run was spotty at best, he created tons of continuity errors, his original characters were almost uniformly boring, and his plots were insipid. There's a reason he's widely considered one of the least favorite writers from Hellblazer's entire series. (One visit to the Voices From Beyond forum would confirm that.) So for him to slag the TV show is remarkably un-self-aware.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hanson724 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I feel like you guys aren't watching Hannibal.