Default Justice League Giant #1 (Walmart Exclusive) - Spoilers

Found this at Walmart yesterday!

The original story is "The Conversion" and is remarkably small (12 pages). In it, Diana and Steve save a group of women who were traveling to attend a humanitarian aid conference in Bialya from terrorists. Suddenly, Ares appears to her and talks about the power he has over all mortals and even Diana herself. As she is about to be corrupted by Ares, a terrorist goes to shoot her until the ceiling begins to collapse. Diana, rushing to her senses, saves the man, and he is shocked that she would save his life. She tells Steve that she'll be there to end his influence, even if she has to convert his followers one at a time (she says this while embracing the man in tears).

So, yeah. Loved it. Seeley needs to write the main Wonder Woman title. He gets the character and all she stands for.

As for the question: When does this take place? It's very possible it takes place in Rebirth, as Wonder Woman's in her full costume and Steve is still young and attractive. But the biggest problem is Ares. Diana says he's trapped in Tartarus and was projecting an illusion of himself. That's entirely possible, but as we know Ares is fully content to stay in his prison in Rebirth. Unless Grail is having her own corrupting influence on him... I guess that could work.

Also, Diana mentions that she's not a god. Just an Amazon from Themyscira. It's possible she considers herself to be an Amazon like her sisters rather than a god, but it clashes with the demigod origin and her acceptance of Zeus in Robinson's run. Either way, this one I'm okay with Seeley ignoring.

The only disappointing part of the short issue? The art. I'm really not a fan of the style used here.

And for those interested: the other issues presented here are Justice League #1, Flash #1, and Aquaman #1, all from the New 52 era.

So is this not in main continuity? Cause that would explain Ares being very different from what Rucka did with him.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

The XY misogynist gang strikes again, it's so goddamn on-the-nose

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Found this at Walmart yesterday!

The original story is "The Conversion" and is remarkably small (12 pages). In it, Diana and Steve save a group of women who were traveling to attend a humanitarian aid conference in Bialya from terrorists. Suddenly, Ares appears to her and talks about the power he has over all mortals and even Diana herself. As she is about to be corrupted by Ares, a terrorist goes to shoot her until the ceiling begins to collapse. Diana, rushing to her senses, saves the man, and he is shocked that she would save his life. She tells Steve that she'll be there to end his influence, even if she has to convert his followers one at a time (she says this while embracing the man in tears).

So, yeah. Loved it. Seeley needs to write the main Wonder Woman title. He gets the character and all she stands for.

As for the question: When does this take place? It's very possible it takes place in Rebirth, as Wonder Woman's in her full costume and Steve is still young and attractive. But the biggest problem is Ares. Diana says he's trapped in Tartarus and was projecting an illusion of himself. That's entirely possible, but as we know Ares is fully content to stay in his prison in Rebirth. Unless Grail is having her own corrupting influence on him... I guess that could work.

Also, Diana mentions that she's not a god. Just an Amazon from Themyscira. It's possible she considers herself to be an Amazon like her sisters rather than a god, but it clashes with the demigod origin and her acceptance of Zeus in Robinson's run. Either way, this one I'm okay with Seeley ignoring.

The only disappointing part of the short issue? The art. I'm really not a fan of the style used here.

And for those interested: the other issues presented here are Justice League #1, Flash #1, and Aquaman #1, all from the New 52 era.
    Sounds like a decent story. Guess I'll need to hit my local WalMart, but is where the story takes place in relation to New 52 or Rebirth really all that relevant? Can't it just be enjoyed as a good Wonder Woman story?

Extraordinary Member Vanguard-01's Avatar

They've stated that these books are not necessarily in-continuity. They're just supposed to be nice, accessible introduction to the DCU for potential new readers.

But yeah, sounds like a great Wonder Woman story and the perfect way to give people a nice, short primer on who she is and what she stands for.
    Though much is taken, much abides; and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Lord Alfred Tennyson--

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Sounds good. I agree that this being continuity light is the best approach. Diana is going to be visiting Themyscira in the next story, which we know she cannot casually do in Rebirth. I wonder if Hippolyta will be blonde or brunette there, and what other Amazons will appear?

Where was this located in Wal-Mart? Near the registers or the magazine aisle?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Where was this located in Wal-Mart? Near the registers or the magazine aisle?
    My Walmart had them near the trading cards/nerdy memorabilia near the registers.