Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default After the inhumans, here come the eternals

Attention: This is not a VS thread or a dismissive post. I want to know opinions about these observations.

I just was reading the last issue of Avengers (with the appearance of the Eternals)and remembered than their movie is coming so is logic tha a series about them must be in development to prepare the debut in the big screen. I suspect than Donny Cates will be the chose to write a book with them.

But suddendly, I discovered how many characteristics are shared between them and the inhumans as a team and I wonder if that could lead to confusions when you had no experience to both teams.

• Both are humans (or prehumans) altered by alien intelligencies. ("god was an astronaut"yadayadayada)
    • They live mostly in isolated cities. (Attilan and Olympia)
    • Their relationships are full of political intrigues and complicated family ties. (Maximus/Druig)
    • They have a big society, but most of their stories are around a royal family.
    • Both societies had a fantastic element than define their cultural identity: Inhumans have the transformation through the Terrigen mists; The eternals have the communitary psychic experience of the Uni-mind.
    • Both had been opposed to their creators.
    • Both heavily influenced by the visuals of Jack Kirby (But that is obvious)

There are also differences:
    • The eternals are, as their name implies, very very old; the inhumans could have long life spans but not a big as the eternals. that gives them a different psychology when they deal with the people.
    • The eternals had a more close contact with the humans and influence, acting as gods in some cases or inspiring legends; the inhumans are more isolated and don't want to be known.
    • The eternals have their oposite number in the deviant race; The higher objetive of the inhumans is their own survival.

The point is the parallels made me think if there is a risk of the Eternals to be confused with the inhumans in some level. Now than Marvel is working in an adaptation of Eternals for the MCU and I wonder if there could be characteristics than are going to be changed to make look the eternals the less similar to the inhumans possible and how that could be reflected in the comics. Because I thought than the regular moviegoer or anyone who has seen the Inhumans live-action series could easily believe than the eternals are the same has the inhumans. And after the less than spectacular performance of the series, it would be understable for Marvel to transform some elements of the Eternals. Also, it should be noted than the inhumans had a more continued presence in other media than the Eternals. A minor detail, but yet the inhumans are the ones more stablished as the "secret society of superhumans", with several appearances in cartoons and games.

Comic readers can pin the differences easly, but do you think than Marvel willl make changes to the eternals franchise to differenciate them more from the inhumans? Should do it?
    Or just work in the eternals franchise without worring about them being associated with the failed inhumans franchise?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I thought this thread was about the fact that, at the same time as Death of Inhumans, spoilers:
    Jason Aaron killed off the Eternals
    end of spoilers
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

I don't think Marvel is concerned about differentiating the two groups right now.

Each group has separate issues to deal with right now

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

I think strict X-Men fans will make the comparison to the X-Men somehow and shoot it down. I always saw them closer to the Asgardians. If they give them an actual movie not a network television series, it'll work. I think people have to be more open minded to other franchises and not feel attacked when Marvel wants to spotlight other characters of the universe. And some people have to learn that there are 5 species on Earth and not 2.

I don't like that they are partially based on the greek pantheon. kind of takes the air out of the real deal. why didn't they just make Hercules an Eternal?

No need to be so worried we all know that many of these deaths will be undone at some point.

Although was expecting some kind of confrontation Eternals vs Avengers or Eternal vs X-mens for next year.

I think they are never been involved in any kind of conflict with other heroes like civil war events.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I don't like that they are partially based on the greek pantheon. kind of takes the air out of the real deal. why didn't they just make Hercules an Eternal?
    It's actually quite simple: Originally, the Eternals comics weren't canon to the Marvel U. They were retconned in later by Roy Thomas.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    I think strict X-Men fans will make the comparison to the X-Men somehow and shoot it down. I always saw them closer to the Asgardians. If they give them an actual movie not a network television series, it'll work. I think people have to be more open minded to other franchises and not feel attacked when Marvel wants to spotlight other characters of the universe. And some people have to learn that there are 5 species on Earth and not 2.
    That’s off base. The Inhumans/X-Men mess was obvious and deliberate. It’s no wonder everything backfired spectacularly there.

Quote Originally Posted by DDM View Post
    That’s off base. The Inhumans/X-Men mess was obvious and deliberate. It’s no wonder everything backfired spectacularly there.
    Yeah it's really not the same at all. And with Disney close to acquiring Fox, chances are that the shady and blatant situation will not repeat itself. Don't expect EVX: Eternals vs. X-Men anytime soon.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Yeah it's really not the same at all. And with Disney close to acquiring Fox, chances are that the shady and blatant situation will not repeat itself. Don't expect EVX: Eternals vs. X-Men anytime soon.
    Disney already has the governmental approval. On July 25th, Disney and Fox shareholders vote. After they vote yes, the merger will be official/close. Re: Inhumans, as previously noted they are being killed off. The Inhumans what the first true flop of Marvel property in the 21st century. Complete flop. And Disney had been tryingt to use them as replacements for mutants before they decided to be Fox. But the Inhumans core concepts and origin just suck. A bunch of eugenics/racists/exclusionary Royal Family. I think individual Inhumans can be great characters. I loved Crystal in both the FF and the Avengers. But as a group they suck. Mutants were interesting as the next wave of human evolution. Inhumans? Nah, what's interesting about a royal family that genetically engineers slaves?

So bummed that the Eternals are out of the picture now...

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    No need to be so worried we all know that many of these deaths will be undone at some point.
    There is no need to be worried about the Eternals.
    But I'm a bit worried about the Eternals as we know them.

There is a possibility that they are definitely dead and will be replaced by All New Eternals tailor-made for the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    I sort of responded to this over in the avengers #4 thread.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    There is no need to be worried about the Eternals.
    But I'm a bit worried about the Eternals as we know them.

There is a possibility that they are definitely dead and will be replaced by All New Eternals tailor-made for the MCU.
    Meaning what, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Have the X-men ever met the eternals?