View Poll Results: Which version of the Superman logo do you like BEST?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Oh, SCHNAPP! Gotta go with the Ira Schnapp version!

2 9.09%
  • Love the 1983 revamp the best!

3 13.64%
  • Loving the new one -- combines the best of both!

4 18.18%
  • Any of these logs is ok with me!

13 59.09%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't think he's trying to make you care, just pointing out for some people it is an interest.
    That's obvious. I never said that it isn't an interest to some people and my original comment was clearly me just expressing my opinion.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Just curious why you seemed to get defensive when he told an innocuous anecdote.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Just curious why you seemed to get defensive when he told an innocuous anecdote.
    I'm not getting defensive, I just don't see the point of his second anecdote when I made my position clear after the first one. It just appears that he is trying to change my mind when it clearly will not be changed
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Remember, we are asking (possibly) a bunch of Millennials LOL

Fair enough. Apologies to getting involved, was really none of my business anyway.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Retired

Sorry to be the source of any bad feeling. I guess it's not fair to Deku but his remarks just provided an easy prompt for me to remember some anecdotes from my past. I wasn't really expecting to change his mind. That wasn't the point.

But I still think everyone has something they obsess about, even if it's something that has nothing to do with comics--there's likely something in someone's life that seems trivial yet is important to them. However, in my experience, people who read comics usually are obsessed with trivial things in them. So a person should be able to comprehend the minor obsessions of others without having the same obsessions.

Like I say, it was just something I thought was interesting to talk about and gave me an excuse to bring in my own experience. And that Dial B for Blog is worth looking at.

Cheers.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I noticed that the Bendis logo was different but I couldn’t tell why. I listened to a you tube lecture by Arlen Schumer about Ira Schnapp and holy cow what a talent!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I immediately noticed the change when I saw the ad. I love the slight reversion to the older logo. As a kid I spent hours and hours tracing every logo onto notebook paper. I loved the DC Comics Presents, Brave and the Bold, Marvel Team-up and Marvel Two in One books that gave every character their own logo (although I was very disappointed when that logo was just basic block type.)
    With the "return" of the more classic logo, it brings in some anticipation for the stories reminding me of how they made me feel as a kid. Which is exactly what was DC's intent I'm sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    The "S" in the new Superman logo is the same as the 1983 revamp, not the Schnapp version. Note the diagonal of the "S" is more diagonal and the "S" overall is tilted in the same direction as the rest of the letters in the Schnapp version. The "S" also overlaps the "u" more in the revamps.
    Also the 'u' is different ..smooth versus jagged edges

Interesting. Typography is something I've always had an interest in, being an illustrator and what not. I like the change.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

I remember when the logo changed in 1983. It took a bit for me to figure what was different but I instantly new it was changed. I used to look at the Flash logo and count the speed lines behind each letter so I definitely paid attention to logos.

Retired

The Ira Schnapp logo was a formal redraw of the Shuster design from SUPERMAN No. 1 (1939) which also has the angled U. Schnapp's version makes those angles sharper. And the flat edges, together with the 3D and the sheen, always made me think of steel--i.e the Man of Steel. Likewise the E is similar to how they drew steel girders in comics (used to be a lot of steel girders in comics).

Spectacular Member

Looks like the retro-logo is just for promotional pieces. The pictures I've seen of the actual Superman #1 comic has the standard '83 logo on it. Bummer. I was kind of hoping they'd go back to the classic one for a while.