Default Understanding Marvel

Read a little of everything growing up, but not much of anything. However, since the new 52 I've been a DC reader since it gave me a clear jumping on point, but never got into Marvel because it just seemed to overwhelming and I can't keep anything straight with it. However, I just discovered the Unlimited app and its just do good not to get it. So I'm going to jump in now, but I'm so lost.

Does anyone have any tips to help out with keeping up with everything. I mean there are about 10 X books, a bunch of Avenger books, and non stop events. Any help would be great to figuring everything out.

BANNED

Stick with DC and Indies. Marvel cannot be understood, even by Marvelites that have only read this company and this company alone for the last 30 years. Nothing makes sense.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'd tell you to "trace backwards" but that might be easier said than done if you're just starting. What appeals to you? Let's see if we can come up with good reference points.

Extraordinary Member

It does depend on what you are looking to read. There are a lot of books you can just read as they mostly do their own thing. If you want to get into the Avengers or X-Men those can be pretty complicated. If you are reading a title or two that hit an event there is a section in the app that lists the bigger events and shows all of the issues involved.

Marvel is not meant to be understood; you just need to read, enjoy and play along, any attempt to try and understand anything can lead to a serious risk of your mental health.

BANNED

I got into Marvel when I was 8 or 9 and before the internet existed. I just read a few old issues I inherited and then started buying the titles I liked, filling in the gaps of my knowledge as I went. Granted, this was back in the dark ages, when there wasn't quite as much history, but honestly, the history isn't usually needed to understand what's going in a specific book.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I'd tell you to "trace backwards" but that might be easier said than done if you're just starting. What appeals to you? Let's see if we can come up with good reference points.
    Yes, if you could let folks know what exactly you are interested in, perhaps we can suggest jumping on points.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheged View Post
    I got into Marvel when I was 8 or 9 and before the internet existed. I just read a few old issues I inherited and then started buying the titles I liked, filling in the gaps of my knowledge as I went. Granted, this was back in the dark ages, when there wasn't quite as much history, but honestly, the history isn't usually needed to understand what's going in a specific book.

Yes, if you could let folks know what exactly you are interested in, perhaps we can suggest jumping on points.
    Right now i'm just trying to figure out what are the main titles in Marvel are.

DC - Justice League is the main title that the universe flows through, outside of events. Is that just the normal Avengers title for Marvel?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    DC - Justice League is the main title that the universe flows through, outside of events. Is that just the normal Avengers title for Marvel?
    Avengers and New Avengers might be the closest to that role as they were central to Infinity, although I think Uncanny Avengers was supposed to be the flagship title and is the lead in for this fall's big event, Axis.

However, how much Avengers interests you will determine just how important the Avengers stories are. Just as is true with Justice League it is more a matter of marketing. As an X-Men reader I pretty much do not bother with most of the Avengers stuff. Just as I stopped reading the Justice League titles before Trinity War and it did not affect how I read any of the other twenty DC titles I was still following.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Avengers and New Avengers might be the closest to that role as they were central to Infinity, although I think Uncanny Avengers was supposed to be the flagship title and is the lead in for this fall's big event, Axis.

However, how much Avengers interests you will determine just how important the Avengers stories are. Just as is true with Justice League it is more a matter of marketing. As an X-Men reader I pretty much do not bother with most of the Avengers stuff. Just as I stopped reading the Justice League titles before Trinity War and it did not affect how I read any of the other twenty DC titles I was still following.

Sounds good.

One more question

What is the main "event' going on right now? I see things for Infinity and Original Sin?

Sounds good.

One more question

What is the main "event' going on right now? I see things for Infinity and Original Sin?
    Infinity is already over. As for Original Sin, it's not tied to a particular book and the tie-in issues deal with the revelations that come forth from the mini series. You don't have to read the actual event book to read the tie-in issues.

Extraordinary Member

Sounds good.

One more question

Original Sin is the current event but it is independent of any other title and other than being an excuse for the tie in books to do similar stories it does not really have that much impact on the MU. Infinity was the last one to do that, as it not only was essentially a bridge between Avengers and New Avengers (and tied in much more directly to several others) it also resulted in some bigger additions and changes to the MU.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I don't understand trying to understand Marvel. Nothing's overwhelming. You don't need to know tons of backstory. Just jump in if you see something interesting.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Just read Ultimate Spider-Man and make sure to cry by the end of #160.

BANNED

Ask your local comic shop, see if they can walk you through the Marvel shelves and give you some suggestions. If a cover looks interesting to you, grab it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    I don't understand trying to understand Marvel. Nothing's overwhelming. You don't need to know tons of backstory. Just jump in if you see something interesting.
    boom, this right here.