Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Unlike Spider-man, Captain America would never make a deal with the devil himself to save a life. So no is my answer.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Unlike Spider-man, Captain America would never make a deal with the devil himself to save a life. So no is my answer.
    Mephisto is NOT the Devil himself.

He is one of a bunch of archfiends vying for power and influence with the other archfiends.

There is no Devil in the Marvel Universe.

Just a bunch of beings using the name for street cred.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Haddock View Post
    Because Steve Rogers written correctly is the most principled and honorable guy there is, he will fight anyone and everyone in the name of doing the right thing, regardless of personal cost - "I'm loyal to nothing, General - except the Dream" is to me THE definitive Captain America quote. Unfortunately there are quite a few writers who take this as 'anything Steve believes = correct' and he ends up looking hypocritical and vapid - the perspective he is now holding onto no matter what is contradictory to something else he equally fervently believed earlier. At the very worst you end up with Avengers Vs X-Men type Cap, who regardless of the rights and wrongs of dealing with the Phoenix Force mishandled the whole situation from the beginning and directly and personally made the whole thing worse... but because he's Captain America, he got a free pass and Cyclops got even more derailed just to make sure there was no question who was 'right.'
    I know that he's supposed to be the best, it's just that I've never seen him act like the moral compass. At least in recent times. I mean, after Dark Reign he said to Victoria:

"I disagree with every little thought you have inside your head. But you're a patriot and I respect that." And then he gives her a position at Cage's team. So what do we make out of this? It's okay to aid to maniac and take part in murder, blackmail,etc... if you're a patriot? Over in Avengers Undercover he's willing to let kids go to prison because they killed Arcade. Why? Didn't Bucky kill a buttload of Nazis back at WW2? Didn't he kill a buttload of people as the WS? Still, he got a major pass.

Over to the NA he doesn't even care about solving the incursion problem, he just places all his bets on hope and "hopes" that everything will turn out good without lifting his finger. I am not objecting to what he's supposed to be, it's just that he doesn't act like the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Mephisto is NOT the Devil himself.

He is one of a bunch of archfiends vying for power and influence with the other archfiends.

There is no Devil in the Marvel Universe.

Just a bunch of beings using the name for street cred.
    True, but it doesn't make making a deal with A devil any less morally suspect... or any less hazardous to one's soul, considering that we have seen Mephisto and the others using the souls of the damned as currency and subjects in their hell dimensions, being tricky with the details of contracts, lying ruthlessly, and all the other stuff that is implied by the phrase 'deal with the devil'.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthkostis View Post
    I know that he's supposed to be the best, it's just that I've never seen him act like the moral compass. At least in recent times. I mean, after Dark Reign he said to Victoria:

"I disagree with every little thought you have inside your head. But you're a patriot and I respect that." And then he gives her a position at Cage's team. So what do we make out of this? It's okay to aid to maniac and take part in murder, blackmail,etc... if you're a patriot? Over in Avengers Undercover he's willing to let kids go to prison because they killed Arcade. Why? Didn't Bucky kill a buttload of Nazis back at WW2? Didn't he kill a buttload of people as the WS? Still, he got a major pass.

Over to the NA he doesn't even care about solving the incursion problem, he just places all his bets on hope and "hopes" that everything will turn out good without lifting his finger. I am not objecting to what he's supposed to be, it's just that he doesn't act like the best.
    Sure, and that's why I qualified it with 'when written correctly' at the start. Stuff like the Incursion issue is an example of where it all goes wrong with Steve - there is an interesting story to be told when there is the chance that having to wipe out another planet in the name of Earth's survival is not only viable but even logical.... BUT because Steve Rogers disagrees there is all sorts of time jumping and other plot contrivances so that he'll be right in the end, because he's Steve Rogers and Is Never Wrong Ever, even when he is. He's admirable for sticking to his principles and beliefs... but many writers forget that those beliefs can still be wrong and keep him an inspirational figure.

Magick is Everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by stingnewell View Post
    During Annihilation Quasar gave the Great Responsibility speech to Nova. Across space Spider-Man's message is still used during that holocaust of war. If that doesn't say Spider-Man is respected by Quasar and Nova well I don't know what to tell you. Their ya go.
    Not just across a universe, but even in different dimensions.

IIRC that's one of the tenets of the Vishanti that was spoken of during the last on-going Doctor Strange series.

Magick is Everywhere

Because Steve Rogers written correctly is the most principled and honorable guy there is, he will fight anyone and everyone in the name of doing the right thing, regardless of personal cost - "I'm loyal to nothing, General - except the Dream" is to me THE definitive Captain America quote. Unfortunately there are quite a few writers who take this as 'anything Steve believes = correct' and he ends up looking hypocritical and vapid - the perspective he is now holding onto no matter what is contradictory to something else he equally fervently believed earlier. At the very worst you end up with Avengers Vs X-Men type Cap, who regardless of the rights and wrongs of dealing with the Phoenix Force mishandled the whole situation from the beginning and directly and personally made the whole thing worse... but because he's Captain America, he got a free pass and Cyclops got even more derailed just to make sure there was no question who was 'right.'
    This right here.

BANNED

Sure, and that's why I qualified it with 'when written correctly' at the start. Stuff like the Incursion issue is an example of where it all goes wrong with Steve - there is an interesting story to be told when there is the chance that having to wipe out another planet in the name of Earth's survival is not only viable but even logical.... BUT because Steve Rogers disagrees there is all sorts of time jumping and other plot contrivances so that he'll be right in the end, because he's Steve Rogers and Is Never Wrong Ever, even when he is. He's admirable for sticking to his principles and beliefs... but many writers forget that those beliefs can still be wrong and keep him an inspirational figure.
    TBH, Movie Steve is ten times better than current comic Steve, and that's what's bothering me. Old Cap was a moral compass but current Cap is...ugh.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    True, but it doesn't make making a deal with A devil any less morally suspect... or any less hazardous to one's soul, considering that we have seen Mephisto and the others using the souls of the damned as currency and subjects in their hell dimensions, being tricky with the details of contracts, lying ruthlessly, and all the other stuff that is implied by the phrase 'deal with the devil'.
    We both know MJ was the main reason peter was tainted by Mephisto offer that and bad writting.
    Last edited by Heasensy32; 07-23-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The4orTy67 View Post
    He'll be the greatest hero in the MU when the reboot happens next year.
    You sure? I think Steve Rogers is far more "important" than Peter cuz he leads THE AVENGERS. He is far more both skilled and experienced in terms of combat; tactical leadership and etc and most importantly (as for me)he deserved to be a superhero.

In a word, no.

In a few more words, Parker is a whiny, needy man-child with mother-issues (or in his case, auntie-issues) who was perfectly happy to let an established villain reshape all of reality, purely for his own selfish reasons and his inability to simply accept that sh*t happens.

Respected? If the truth was ever revealed to the MU at large, he'd more likely be ostracised.

The question is quite hard to answer, hold up and hear me out the question from the op is Will Peter Parker ever be as respected as Steve Rogers in the marvel universie. Answer No he won't because of one simple fact the writers seem to want growth but not want growth if that makes sense, they will allow Peter to eperience new things but he won't grow from them for the simple fact Marvel believes that we (as in Joe * Jane Public) will reliate to him better if he has money issues, social issues amongst other things and basically doesn't grow up, however everyone on here might find these questions interesting.
    A followup(s) i would have is do i want peter parker to be as respected as steve rogers in the marvel universie; Yes
    do i believe its long overdue that peter parker to be as respected as steve rogers in the marvel universie: Yes
    Truth is the best policy

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post

Wilson Fisk is as close to a devil on earth a mephisto.

Extraordinary Member

It always fascinates me how many people want Spider Man to end up leading the Avengers or something and are mad that he isn't.

Like there a Super Hero hierarchy out there and Spider Man is stuck on some lower rung.

The whole point of Peter Parker is and was that he had a life outside the mask and that life was at very least as important to him as what he does as Spidey.

That's what Spider Man has a camera on his uniform so he could take pictures of himself fighting crime and sell them as Peter Parker for eating money and rent.

Steve Rogers is defined as pretty much not having much of a life AT ALL outside of being Cap(dude was basically homeless in the Bronze Age. No joke).

Steve HAD civilian friends and lovers a an actual Civilian job for a brief spell but those all got left behind. Steve sees this as the price he has to pay for being Cap.

Steve Rogers is a dude whose apartment is basically a crimefighting bunker.

Peter Parker might look up to Spidey but he wouldn't want Cap's life.

To be what Cap does, that level of commitment is pretty what would have to happen when Cap splits his every waking hour between going on missions and running the Avengers and nothing else.

[Vic you bring up a lot of discussion points here’s what I think baring in mind it’s my opinion and for discussion only.

It always fascinates me how many people want Spider Man to end up leading the Avengers or something and are mad that he isn't.
    If he is their favorite and that’s a position of high respect wouldn’t you want them to have it,
    The Wasp, Black Widow Cap, Iron Man, Ms Marvel (Carol), Hawkeye and Luke Cage have been leaders of the avengers heck even Havok have been/is an avengers team leader and I like Spiderman a hell of a lot more than I do Havok and I do like Havok btw.

Like there a Super Hero hierarchy out there and Spider Man is stuck on some lower rung.
    No not an official one but Spider-man is always seen as a goofball and a joke never mind the fact he has beaten 6 super powered villain’s all on his own. Regardless of the bad press where with all due respect to Cap doesn’t like bad press avengers volume 3 is an example.

The whole point of Peter Parker is and was that he had a life outside the mask and that life was at very least as important to him as what he does as Spidey.
    Sorry but big time disproves this, the downside was he was juggling too much if Peter was leading one team of avengers and wasn’t on another team he could make it work. He did it while he was a member of the FF, the avengers and the new avengers.

That's what Spider Man has a camera on his uniform so he could take pictures of himself fighting crime and sell them as Peter Parker for eating money and rent.
    Hasn’t done this in a while so I don’t understand its relevance.

Steve Rogers is defined as pretty much not having much of a life AT ALL outside of being Cap(dude was basically homeless in the Bronze Age. No joke).
    The question from the OP isn’t asking about Peter being in Steve's shoes, its about the level of respect and admiration that he will receive.

Steve HAD civilian friends and lovers a an actual Civilian job for a brief spell but those all got left behind. Steve sees this as the price he has to pay for being Cap.
    I’m sure the OP can confirm but this isn’t suggest that Peter wear the flag or carry the shield, it’s a comparison he is asking can Spider-man be counted as one of the greats be on that mystic level and be in the same breath as Cap, Hulk, Iron Man, Thor.

Steve Rogers is a dude whose apartment is basically a crimefighting bunker.
    Once again how is this relevant to the discussion, I’m actually asking not trying to be cheeky because I don’t get it

Peter Parker might look up to Spidey but he wouldn't want Cap's life.
    No one says he would.

To be what Cap does, that level of commitment is pretty what would have to happen when Cap splits his every waking hour between going on missions and running the Avengers and nothing else.
    Once again it’s not asking if he will do what Cap does, I think there is story potential there but that’s not what the OP is asking. Iron Man is as well liked and respected as Cap, the same could be said for Thor and Tony doesn’t have the commitment Steve does but he does have the respect is Spider-Man entitled or worth of that respect I think that’s the question
    Last edited by VolcanikTiger86; 07-29-2014 at 01:27 AM.
    Truth is the best policy