Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Its apples and oranges. I didnt even like 616/ult. parker the same, different things were liked about them

A relevant scan (from the ending of Spider-Man's first encounter with Carnage, after having asked for Venom's help and "betraying" him by capturing him as well at the end):

...and this makes Spider-Man much more interesting, imo.

All-New Member

I don't think we'll ever see it happen in-continuity. It just doesn't mesh well with his iconic portrayal that no one wants to stray from.

However, I think it makes perfect sense that he'd go down in history as one of the greats. The Avengers and the FF are out saving the world every day. Spider-Man is, generally, out saving individuals. That's...kind of more endearing, in a way. He's a small steps hero. Nobody goes home and tells their kids about how Captain America saved them by stopping an alien invasion, because there is nothing personal there. They'll tell their kids about Spider-Man pulling them out of the way of speeding traffic, though, because that's personal...it happened to that person specifically. And while, yeah, almost every superhero stops small, day to day crimes, Spider-Man does it pretty much constantly.

To put it simply, Captain America saved the world, and he'll always be remembered for that. But Spider-Man saved people, one at a time, and he'll always be loved for that. Look at Ultimate Peter Parker's funeral. I think that sums out Spider-Man's impact, and how he'd ultimately be remembered in the MU, pretty well.

Not only would Peter, but he has.
    He never killed anybody.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by nmiller7192 View Post
    I don't think we'll ever see it happen in-continuity. It just doesn't mesh well with his iconic portrayal that no one wants to stray from.

However, I think it makes perfect sense that he'd go down in history as one of the greats. The Avengers and the FF are out saving the world every day. Spider-Man is, generally, out saving individuals. That's...kind of more endearing, in a way. He's a small steps hero. Nobody goes home and tells their kids about how Captain America saved them by stopping an alien invasion, because there is nothing personal there. They'll tell their kids about Spider-Man pulling them out of the way of speeding traffic, though, because that's personal...it happened to that person specifically. And while, yeah, almost every superhero stops small, day to day crimes, Spider-Man does it pretty much constantly.

To put it simply, Captain America saved the world, and he'll always be remembered for that. But Spider-Man saved people, one at a time, and he'll always be loved for that. Look at Ultimate Peter Parker's funeral. I think that sums out Spider-Man's impact, and how he'd ultimately be remembered in the MU, pretty well.
    Spidey has saved the world before. Also his iconic status should reflect that bigger aspect of his long lasting adventures as a superhero.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    He never killed anybody.
    Not deliberately, but he has killed. Blame Wolverine for goading him into being reckless when it happened.

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Heasensy32 View Post
    Spidey has saved the world before. Also his iconic status should reflect that bigger aspect of his long lasting adventures as a superhero.
    Oh, he has before, but it isn't his standard wheelhouse. Just like Captain America has stopped muggers, even if it isn't his usual MO.

And maybe it should...but it doesn't. He's always got to be down on his luck. At the very least, any success is short lived. It's the "iconic" version of the character.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchist View Post
    He never killed anybody.
    Peter has killed numerous times, and a few weren't exactly accidentally. And I'm not just talking about in the recent dark era. As far back as 1968 he's killed. He killed the Finisher by swinging a missile back at him; not an accident. He's used villains as meat shields. He's even thrown a villain to his death and joked about it afterwards.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MyriVerse View Post
    Peter has killed numerous times, and a few weren't exactly accidentally. And I'm not just talking about in the recent dark era. As far back as 1968 he's killed. He killed the Finisher by swinging a missile back at him; not an accident. He's used villains as meat shields. He's even thrown a villain to his death and joked about it afterwards.
    More proof he was Deadpool before deadpool.

Being that this thread started with reference to the Cable reborn story or whatever the title was (I cant remember)...you guys remember at the conclusion of the story when the Avengers took the power dampener tech that Cable had? Nothing came of that huh? Really thought they were going to use it in AVX

Back to my opinion of the matter. I believe we've already seen Spider-man become the greatest hero/most respected albeit in Ultimate U. Once better was killed the public rallied and mourned his loss. In 616, the same would have to happen.

Maybe in alternate futures, but part of the point of the character is that he's misunderstood.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Maybe in alternate futures, but part of the point of the character is that he's misunderstood.
    And that part originated from the Stan Lee and Steve Ditko era.

As much as they have trashing Caps morality, Peter doesn't even have to move and Cap will fall to his level.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    IIRC the IRS came in shortly after and whacked him for tax that he couldn't pay.

That's the IRS for you, the one evil in the world that no one can ever beat.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaokhaN View Post
    A relevant scan (from the ending of Spider-Man's first encounter with Carnage, after having asked for Venom's help and "betraying" him by capturing him as well at the end):

...and this makes Spider-Man much more interesting, imo.
    Not as long a stheir are charectors like J jonah jameson.