View Poll Results: Do you believe Storm to be solely a weather manipulator?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: she needs weather for her powers to work

64 57.14%
  • No: She percieves energy and her manipulation of this results in weather phenomenon

37 33.04%
  • I dont know.

11 9.82%
Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Default The Miseducation of Ororo Munroe

I had the recent pleasure of meeting a current xmen writer (Marc Guggenheim) and actually discussing at length about my favorite character Storm. He was very nice and very knowledgeable of the xmen lore. I shared to him my love of Ororo and he mentioned to me he believes he has the voice of the character down but has a hard time writing her power-wise beyond using just lightning and wind. I then shared with him a few scans explaining that Claremont wrote her as an energy manipulator, not solely a weather manipulator. He replied that this was a retcon. I was taken aback but surprised as their has always been confusion as to her powerset, especially with new crop of writers.

So my question is do you believe her to be just a weather manipulator and why? Also, when canon has established by Claremont her powers do work by her ability to perceive energy and manipulate it why then do writers believe that without weather or atmosphere she is powerless?
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    Also, when canon has established by Claremont her powers do work by her ability to perceive energy and manipulate it why then do writers believe that without weather or atmosphere she is powerless?
    Single best reason: Keeps her from being a game breaker by putting some actual limitations on her power.

Astonishing Member Gambit, King of Thieves's Avatar

Also, isn't Storm NOTORIOUS for inconsistent power levels?
    Cyclops was SO DAMN RIGHT, BABY
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Single best reason: Keeps her from being a game breaker by putting some actual limitations on her power.
    what do you mean? please expound.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit, King of Thieves View Post
    Also, isn't Storm NOTORIOUS for inconsistent power levels?
    I think she is notorious for this due to the lack of understanding as it pertains to her powerset.

Claremont wrote some ridiculous stuff with her. I think she works better as a weather manipulator

BANNED

what do you mean? please expound.
    Being a direct weather manipulator means she has to have something tangible to actually work with. "Energy" is such a nebulous power source a writer can make it out to be just about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Being a direct weather manipulator means she has to have something tangible to actually work with. "Energy" is such a nebulous power source a writer can make it out to be just about anything.
    she's utilizing the quantum vacuum virtual plasma
    Pull list: X-23, Mr. & Mrs. X, Extermination, Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider, Uncanny X-Men
    Have been informed that the Black Swans are "only seeking female members, but thank you very much for your time"

BANNED

she's utilizing the quantum vacuum virtual plasma
    My point exactly.

the source material where I got that phrase from

webcomic called xkcd
    I absolutely love them.

BANNED

I had the recent pleasure of meeting a current xmen writer (Marc Guggenheim) and actually discussing at length about my favorite character Storm. He was very nice and very knowledgeable of the xmen lore. I shared to him my love of Ororo and he mentioned to me he believes he has the voice of the character down but has a hard time writing her power-wise beyond using just lightning and wind. I then shared with him a few scans explaining that Claremont wrote her as an energy manipulator, not solely a weather manipulator. He replied that this was a retcon. I was taken aback but surprised as their has always been confusion as to her powerset, especially with new crop of writers.

So my question is do you believe her to be just a weather manipulator and why? Also, when canon has established by Claremont her powers do work by her ability to perceive energy and manipulate it why then do writers believe that without weather or atmosphere she is powerless?
    Because her name is storm and her power is weather, when they change her name to energon and her power to dynamokinesis we can talk. . .

then again
    http://vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/Storm_(Marvel_Comics)
    Her power is stated as weather manipulations, some weather phenomena are related to energy so she can manipulate it via weather manipulation. . . Also I see solar storms as a stretch of the concept of weather. . .

It's kind of like saying that cyclops can absorb all the electromagnetic spectrum because he can harness the sun that uses similar energy

P.D: In vs battles wiki standard storm is ranked as 5-C and standard Cyclops is rated at 5-B :P
    Last edited by wano; 07-05-2018 at 01:44 PM.

Yeah, mark me down in favour of her "just" being a weather manipulator. Because that's not "just" anything. It's acts-of-god level power by itself (biblical god, not loosey-goosey Marvel definition of what a god is this week) - with even a little imagination, Ororo can halt entire armies by burying them in snow, or create tidal waves, or melt the ice caps (or fix them, which someone ought to ask her about), or exhaust her enemies by dialling up the ambient temperature until they get heatstroke, or...you get it. Her powers, in their most classic form, are amazing, and only come off as unsatisfactory or 'not enough' when left in the hands of poor creators who treat her like she's just a floating lightning gun.

On the flipside, apart from the explanation of 'energy control' being hopelessly vague and less unique (Marvel has a LOT of energy controllers), this extension of her scope has never lasted long after being brought up - because sooner or later she has to be presented as mortal again - and often doesn't amount to much worthy of note. Perfect example: that last Black Panther arc, where everyone prays to her and she channels belief energy to become GODDESS OF ALL WAKANDA~ and then...is just a floaty lightning gun. But like, with a purple glow around the edges. Oooh, ahhh, etc.

(Sidenote because I'm sure it'll come up: Storm's powers working on other planets is fine. So long as said planet has a climate and atmosphere of its own, it's perfectly believable that she'd be able to exert her will over it just the same. Using her powers in actual space, however, is nonsense. Space has no atmosphere. That is its key defining trait. All it has is conflicting gravitational pulls, the naked radiation of local stars, and lots of fast-moving rocks. ROCKS ARE NOT WEATHER.)
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Didn't she do something with solar winds once?

BANNED

Didn't she do something with solar winds once?
    Yeah. . . Moon level at best
    http://vsbattles.wikia.com/wiki/User...:_Storms_Storm

Cyclops blasts are planetary level
    https://imgur.com/KqqCy5A

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Yeah, mark me down in favour of her "just" being a weather manipulator. Because that's not "just" anything. It's acts-of-god level power by itself (biblical god, not loosey-goosey Marvel definition of what a god is this week) - with even a little imagination, Ororo can halt entire armies by burying them in snow, or create tidal waves, or melt the ice caps (or fix them, which someone ought to ask her about), or exhaust her enemies by dialling up the ambient temperature until they get heatstroke, or...you get it. Her powers, in their most classic form, are amazing, and only come off as unsatisfactory or 'not enough' when left in the hands of poor creators who treat her like she's just a floating lightning gun.

On the flipside, apart from the explanation of 'energy control' being hopelessly vague and less unique (Marvel has a LOT of energy controllers), this extension of her scope has never lasted long after being brought up - because sooner or later she has to be presented as mortal again - and often doesn't amount to much worthy of note. Perfect example: that last Black Panther arc, where everyone prays to her and she channels belief energy to become GODDESS OF ALL WAKANDA~ and then...is just a floaty lightning gun. But like, with a purple glow around the edges. Oooh, ahhh, etc.

(Sidenote because I'm sure it'll come up: Storm's powers working on other planets is fine. So long as said planet has a climate and atmosphere of its own, it's perfectly believable that she'd be able to exert her will over it just the same. Using her powers in actual space, however, is nonsense. Space has no atmosphere. That is its key defining trait. All it has is conflicting gravitational pulls, the naked radiation of local stars, and lots of fast-moving rocks. ROCKS ARE NOT WEATHER.)
    That is your key defining trait. Most writers over history have had her powers working in space since the beginning so your idea of them not working there would actually be a retcon on whatever it is she really does.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/