View Poll Results: Do you believe Storm to be solely a weather manipulator?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: she needs weather for her powers to work

    64 57.14%
  • No: She percieves energy and her manipulation of this results in weather phenomenon

    37 33.04%
  • I dont know.

    11 9.82%
Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 256 to 270 of 327
  1. #256
    Extraordinary Member stormphoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    California,Sacramento
    Posts
    5,072

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    That's a slippery slope my friend. I can think of a few instances in comic where characters like the Hulk, Thor and Superman have done something once and fans hold it as a standard for their power level.

    Hell, Hulk punching a asteroid twice the size of Earth is crazy to even think about...but I've seen it use in debate.

    Keep in mind I do agree with you with on the Spiderman VS. Firelord.
    Or Hulk punching reality when he fought Vector -_-
    Ororo Munroe(Bright Lady), Hadari Yao, The Cloud Runner, Goddess of the People.
    Goddess of the Storm.
    #StormsMootyPass
    #PlusUltra!!!
    #StormCaster
    The Piercing Light of AmunRa!!!!!
    MUTANT and PROUD
    #KRAKOA FOREVER

    #catchmutanthands

  2. #257
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    16,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I don't really count feats if the character never again did anything even vaguely on that scale. See also Spider-Man beating Firelord and Catwoman laying out Cheetah with one punch.
    yea she has done a feat comparable. the only other I can think of is when she healed the entire trion dimension with her own power. so that wouldnt be accurate.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    So, I voted Yes on the poll, but now I'm not sure it's really the answer I thought it was lol.

    The way I have always seem it is that Storm has control over lightning, wind and water, and that's how she manipulates the weather. So, technically she's a weather manipulator, but she doesn't "need for weather to exist". If there's no weather, she can make the weather herself lol. But there's no deeper "she can perceive energy and manipulate all sorts of energy" thing.

    what do you mean by there is no deeper shr can perceive energy and manipulate all sorts of energy?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
    Yes and no.

    Yes, I think she is just a weather manipulator.

    No, I don't think she can just manipulate the weather.

    Storm controls all of the forces that makeup and factor into the weather. So her powers are VERY far reaching and bleed into other powersets including cosmic ones. That is also why they work in areas that don't necessarily have a functioning atmosphere. But the nature of her power has always been weather manipulation. That is why when people ask me why she can do something that doesn't seem weather based, I ask them what they think weather is, or how it can be manipulated. The answer is there are countless factors, which make her powers nearly unlimited.

    hey WG I'm so glad you are back!! I'm still not quite sure im following you. you are saying she primarily manupules weather but it extends beyond that due to the forces/energies she controls?

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Applying real life science to comic books is bad for your health.
    exactly boo.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  3. #258
    Vice High Priest ~ CTT
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    hey WG I'm so glad you are back!! I'm still not quite sure im following you. you are saying she primarily manupules weather but it extends beyond that due to the forces/energies she controls?
    Thanks, Kyss! It's nice speaking with you again as well.

    As for your question, that's pretty much what I'm saying. There are a lot of people here who assume that she isn't applying her use of "weather manipulation" into a lot of the feats and instances several of you have provided to them, when the truth is, it can all be attributed to weather manipulation if you consider all of the factors in weather and how far reaching they extend. Science of the X-men went quite in depth on many of the forces she would need to have under her control in order to affect the weather the way that she does and they even extend far beyond those theories that were presented.

    Like Magma for example, who is able to generate fire and create earthquakes, the nature of her power remains with her volcanic manipulation. But her powers allow her to bleed into other powersets to do a host of other things outside of that. Of course, Storm's is FAR more complicated, but the concept is basically the same.

  4. #259
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
    Thanks, Kyss! It's nice speaking with you again as well.

    As for your question, that's pretty much what I'm saying. There are a lot of people here who assume that she isn't applying her use of "weather manipulation" into a lot of the feats and instances several of you have provided to them, when the truth is, it can all be attributed to weather manipulation if you consider all of the factors in weather and how far reaching they extend. Science of the X-men went quite in depth on many of the forces she would need to have under her control in order to affect the weather the way that she does and they even extend far beyond those theories that were presented.

    Like Magma for example, who is able to generate fire and create earthquakes, the nature of her power remains with her volcanic manipulation. But her powers allow her to bleed into other powersets to do a host of other things outside of that. Of course, Storm's is FAR more complicated, but the concept is basically the same.
    First of all, nice to see you again.

    Well, her powers also include being able to adapt to the universal forces of wherever she is, even if it's another dimension vastly different from her home reality.

    Let's not forget she can also command the energy that composes empty space. Didn't we see her close some of Adversary's portals in Black Panther recently?

    Finally, on a different note, are you keeping up with the "Top telepath in the x-books" thread? It's a fun read. I didn't earnestly get involved in it until page 11 with my Xavier/Emma/Jean comparisons.
    Last edited by rutog98; 07-12-2018 at 12:08 PM.

  5. #260
    Ultimate Member Wiccan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    10,991

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    what do you mean by there is no deeper shr can perceive energy and manipulate all sorts of energy?
    I always thought she could manipulate wind, water and lightning, in the same way Crystal can control the elements or any mutant with fire powers controls fire. Except that Ororo can change the whole weather around her with it, and manipulate what's already there(like if it's raining naturally, she can stop it).
    Last edited by Wiccan; 07-12-2018 at 12:15 PM.

  6. #261
    Vice High Priest ~ CTT
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    First of all, nice to see you again.

    Well, her powers also include being able to adapt to the universal forces of wherever she is, even if it's another dimension vastly different from her home reality.

    Let's not forget she can also command the energy that composes empty space. Didn't we see her close some of Adversary's portals in Black Panther recently?

    Finally, on a different note, are you keeping up with the "Top telepath in the x-books" thread? It's a fun read. I didn't earnestly get involved in it until page 11 with my Xavier/Emma/Jean comparisons.
    Hi, Rutog! Long time no see!

    True, but I believe that is attributed to her being able to adapt to the natural forces that factor into the weather in any medium. How powers in the trion dimension for example, allowed her to adapt to the elemental forces that comprised that dimension, which seemed to be far more reaching than the factors/forces that she normally manipulates in the Earth's dimension.

    Space weather is part of Storm's powerset. It's elemental based, so therefore, it falls under her command. Also, the earth and the weather is influenced by the sun and the solar wind to a very large degree. So it makes perfect sense for her "weather manipulation" to encompass control over these factors/forces as well, even if we don't want to consider her able to manipulate space weather like some here have complained about.

    I thought she used faith magic to close the portals in Black Panther? If we consider magic, her powers practically extend to everything. Lol

    I have not read the top telepaths thread. I really don't want to go anywhere near that, but I'll have a look.

  7. #262
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
    Hi, Rutog! Long time no see!

    True, but I believe that is attributed to her being able to adapt to the natural forces that factor into the weather in any medium. How powers in the trion dimension for example, allowed her to adapt to the elemental forces that comprised that dimension, which seemed to be far more reaching than the factors/forces that she normally manipulates in the Earth's dimension.

    Space weather is part of Storm's powerset. It's elemental based, so therefore, it falls under her command. Also, the earth and the weather is influenced by the sun and the solar wind to a very large degree. So it makes perfect sense for her "weather manipulation" to encompass control over these factors/forces as well, even if we don't want to consider her able to manipulate space weather like some here have complained about.

    I thought she used faith magic to close the portals in Black Panther? If we consider magic, her powers practically extend to everything. Lol

    I have not read the top telepaths thread. I really don't want to go anywhere near that, but I'll have a look.
    1) I don't think the forces she controlled in the Trion dimension are more reaching than what she controls in her home reality. She can perceive the universe as patterns of energy and forces she can bend to her will even in her home reality. This includes stars, planets, and empty space.

    2) The only thing is over in Black Panther, it never stated that Storm tapped into magical powers to close those portals. So, until it says that, I think it's more likely that she merely tapped into the energy that composes empty space to close those holes up since it has been established on panel she controls the energy composition of empty space. Anyway, not saying that you are wrong, but that was my take on it.

    3) Well, if you only read a few pages, I post some fun Emma and Xavier feats on pages 11 and 12 in making my argument why both psis are far more powerful than Jean (especially Xavier).

    4) Let's also not forget we have seen Storm use electron manipulation on-panel to create clothing out of thin air. Though, I guess one could just call that a very creative, and potent application over electrical fields/subatomic particles.
    Last edited by rutog98; 07-12-2018 at 01:23 PM.

  8. #263
    Vice High Priest ~ CTT
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    1) I don't think the forces she controlled in the Trion dimension are more reaching than what she controls in her home reality. She can perceive the universe as patterns of energy and forces she can bend to her will even in her home reality. This includes stars, planets, and empty space.

    2) The only thing is over in Black Panther, it never stated that Storm tapped into magical powers to close those portals. So, until it says that, I think it's more likely that she merely tapped into the energy that composes empty space to close those holes up since it has been established on panel she controls the energy composition of empty space. Anyway, not saying that you are wrong, but that was my take on it.

    3) Well, if you only read a few pages, I post some fun Emma and Xavier feats on pages 11 and 12 in making my argument why both psis are far more powerful than Jean (especially Xavier).
    Yeah, I don't mean the forces themselves, just her ability to percieve and manipulate them. Her powers allow her to adapt to different elemental mediums, but the trion dimension was a lot like the galactic core in that it allowed her to percieve and manipulate those elements at a much greater level than she normally would on Earth. Whether or not this is self imposed is another point altogether.

    I'd have to go back and read it, but I could've swore Storm mentioned that she couldn't close the portals under her own weather manipulating powers. Once the people started worshipping her she was able to close them, and it was revealed much later in her fight with the Adversary that she could use faith magic to perform these feats.

    But even if that's not the case, I still don't dispute what you're saying. If we go back and think about all of the times Yoga provided those articles about weather and how certain forces factor into the weather... We're talking gamma rays, dark matter and all sorts of crazy forces, then this wouldn't be impossible for her to perform either. And using the Trion for a direct example, she repaired in a rift in space time...

    My god I just went in there and you guys are dragging poor Jean all through the mud!

    I think I'd have to agree with you that Shadow King would be the top telepath, with Xavier and Cassandra following next in line. The guy literally can't be killed and he's found so many way to bypass just about anyone. Hell, he was even consumed by Bast and still showed up somewhere later without a scratch.

  9. #264
    Vice High Priest ~ CTT
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    4) Let's also not forget we have seen Storm use electron manipulation on-panel to create clothing out of thin air. Though, I guess one could just call that a very creative, and potent application over electrical fields/subatomic particles.

  10. #265
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
    Yeah, I don't mean the forces themselves, just her ability to percieve and manipulate them. Her powers allow her to adapt to different elemental mediums, but the trion dimension was a lot like the galactic core in that it allowed her to percieve and manipulate those elements at a much greater level than she normally would on Earth. Whether or not this is self imposed is another point altogether.

    I'd have to go back and read it, but I could've swore Storm mentioned that she couldn't close the portals under her own weather manipulating powers. Once the people started worshipping her she was able to close them, and it was revealed much later in her fight with the Adversary that she could use faith magic to perform these feats.

    But even if that's not the case, I still don't dispute what you're saying. If we go back and think about all of the times Yoga provided those articles about weather and how certain forces factor into the weather... We're talking gamma rays, dark matter and all sorts of crazy forces, then this wouldn't be impossible for her to perform either. And using the Trion for a direct example, she repaired in a rift in space time...

    My god I just went in there and you guys are dragging poor Jean all through the mud!

    I think I'd have to agree with you that Shadow King would be the top telepath, with Xavier and Cassandra following next in line. The guy literally can't be killed and he's found so many way to bypass just about anyone. Hell, he was even consumed by Bast and still showed up somewhere later without a scratch.
    1) Her powers were not stated to be amplified in that dimension. If they were, the story would have stated that just as it stated that Xavier's powers were amplified by the energies of that reality. So, I think you are correct in your estimation that Storm could be simply operating under self-imposed limits in her home reality. To buttress what you've asserted in that regard, Storm said that she was forced to fight the Trion with an abandon that she had all but forgotten. So, she had let go of a lot of those self-imposed limits in that reality to fight the Trion.

    2) The faith that Storm received unlocked her "goddesshood", so yeah, she could not close the portal until that point. However, the whole "goddess" thing with Ororo has yet to be explained. We don't know yet if it's mystical in nature or not. It's a darn shame that Coates isn't writing her solo now so he can delve into this new development of Ororo's power and character in greater detail.

    3) I agree with you about Shadow King. Also, I'm not dragging Jean through the mud so much as I'm just telling the truth about her in comparing her showings with that over other telepaths.
    Last edited by rutog98; 07-12-2018 at 01:43 PM.

  11. #266
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    16,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
    Thanks, Kyss! It's nice speaking with you again as well.

    As for your question, that's pretty much what I'm saying. There are a lot of people here who assume that she isn't applying her use of "weather manipulation" into a lot of the feats and instances several of you have provided to them, when the truth is, it can all be attributed to weather manipulation if you consider all of the factors in weather and how far reaching they extend. Science of the X-men went quite in depth on many of the forces she would need to have under her control in order to affect the weather the way that she does and they even extend far beyond those theories that were presented.

    Like Magma for example, who is able to generate fire and create earthquakes, the nature of her power remains with her volcanic manipulation. But her powers allow her to bleed into other powersets to do a host of other things outside of that. Of course, Storm's is FAR more complicated, but the concept is basically the same.
    hmmm I see what you are saying. so only if those energies are uniquely linked to weather are the energies she can control and wield? this would then not make her a "true" energy manipulator where she could manipulate all forms of energy such as the energies associated with cyclops blast, right?

    which then goes into what this scan was saying?



    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I always thought she could manipulate wind, water and lightning, in the same way Crystal can control the elements or any mutant with fire powers controls fire. Except that Ororo can change the whole weather around her with it, and manipulate what's already there(like if it's raining naturally, she can stop it).
    ororo is actually connected to the elements she control. they become an extension of her. I dont believe crystal and other elemental powers function in the same way


    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    2) The faith that Storm received unlocked her "goddesshood", so yeah, she could not close the portal until that point. However, the whole "goddess" thing with Ororo has yet to be explained. We don't know yet if it's mystical in nature or not. It's a darn shame that Coates isn't writing her solo now so he can delve into this new development of Ororo's power and character in greater detail.
    well we do kinda understand it. we know that bast and the other missing orisha became gods similarly as to ororo. their power is not akin to a magic wielder. I would assume storms ability in using her divine power would operate similarly as bast and the other orishas based upon their similarity in ascending to being gods.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 07-12-2018 at 02:06 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  12. #267
    Vice High Priest ~ CTT
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    1) Her powers were not stated to be amplified in that dimension. If they were, the story would have stated that just as it stated that Xavier's powers were amplified by the energies of that reality. So, I think you are correct in your estimation that Storm could be simply operating under self-imposed limits in her home reality. To buttress what you've asserted in that regard, Storm said that she was forced to fight the Trion with an abandon that she had all but forgotten. So, she had let go of a lot of those self-imposed limits in that reality to fight the Trion.

    2) The faith that Storm received unlocked her "goddesshood", so yeah, she could not close the portal until that point. However, the whole "goddess" thing with Ororo has yet to be explained. We don't know yet if it's mystical in nature or not. It's a darn shame that Coates isn't writing her solo now so he can delve into this new development of Ororo's power and character in greater detail.

    3) I agree with you about Shadow King. Also, I'm not dragging Jean through the mud so much as I'm just telling the truth about her in comparing her showings with that over other telepaths.
    Agreed. Her powers were not amplified. Sorry if my wording is confusing you. Just like in the galactic core, she just had a moment when she formed a connection to a greater degree of forces than she has normally allowed herself to work with.

    Ah, I see what you're saying now. Fair enough. I'm happy to wait and see how this is played out and explained before I draw conclusions. Thanks for clearing that up. I think there's a chance Coates might still do the book. I'm honestly relieved that they aren't doing the series yet. I'd perfer this whole acquisition to be handled first, and they have the film rights firmly back in their grasp. Storm needs all the support she can get at this point.

    Have you seen the Legion show? He does all sorts of crazy tp feats on there! I haven't finished the second season yet, since the shows hasn't really been my cup of tea, but he is quite impressive. Way more impressive than I've seen any telepath used on anything related to movies/tv.

    And fair enough about Jean. I just feel sorry that some have this notion that she is the top in this class when we've seen far more impressive feats from the other candidates.

  13. #268
    BANNED
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,571

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    hmmm I see what you are saying. so only if those energies are uniquely linked to weather are the energies she can control and wield? this would then not make her a "true" energy manipulator where she could manipulate all forms of energy such as the energies associated with cyclops blast, right?

    which then goes into what this scan was saying?





    ororo is actually connected to the elements she control. they become an extension of her. I dont believe crystal and other elemental powers function in the same way




    well we do kinda understand it. we know that bast and the other missing orisha became gods similarly as to ororo. their power is not akin to a magic wielder. I would assume storms ability in using her divine power would operate similarly as bast and the other orishas based upon their similarity in ascending to being gods.
    I think you are right. It would be like Bast. Thanks for clarifying that.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Weather God View Post
    Agreed. Her powers were not amplified. Sorry if my wording is confusing you. Just like in the galactic core, she just had a moment when she formed a connection to a greater degree of forces than she has normally allowed herself to work with.

    Ah, I see what you're saying now. Fair enough. I'm happy to wait and see how this is played out and explained before I draw conclusions. Thanks for clearing that up. I think there's a chance Coates might still do the book. I'm honestly relieved that they aren't doing the series yet. I'd perfer this whole acquisition to be handled first, and they have the film rights firmly back in their grasp. Storm needs all the support she can get at this point.

    Have you seen the Legion show? He does all sorts of crazy tp feats on there! I haven't finished the second season yet, since the shows hasn't really been my cup of tea, but he is quite impressive. Way more impressive than I've seen any telepath used on anything related to movies/tv.

    And fair enough about Jean. I just feel sorry that some have this notion that she is the top in this class when we've seen far more impressive feats from the other candidates.
    I have not seen the Legion show. I think I have come across it on my Netflix scans, though. I just haven't taken the time to watch it. I gather you feel the show worth watching? If so, I'll give it a shot.

    Regarding Storm's solo title, I really hope it happens soon because if she doesn't get one, the development Coates gave her in her battle with Adversary will simply be ignored and fade into oblivion in favor of developing Jean and Kitty in the x-books.

  14. #269
    Vice High Priest ~ CTT
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    hmmm I see what you are saying. so only if those energies are uniquely linked to weather are the energies she can control and wield? this would then not make her a "true" energy manipulator where she could manipulate all forms of energy such as the energies associated with cyclops blast, right?

    which then goes into what this scan was saying?

    Absolutely. With everything you said. This is probably the best way you could explain it to others, and it makes her powers totally unique and exceptional.

    Cyclops' blast though, I don't know. Hasn't his blast been fueled by sunlight as well as with Storm's lightning before? I feel like she might be able to control it if we go deep into what that energy is composed of.

    Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    well we do kinda understand it. we know that bast and the other missing orisha became gods similarly as to ororo. their power is not akin to a magic wielder. I would assume storms ability in using her divine power would operate similarly as bast and the other orishas based upon their similarity in ascending to being gods.
    I assumed it was magic because it came from her mother's bloodline, but White Mage has indicated that people of her line may not be entirely magic based either. So I find this all very interesting.

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    I have not seen the Legion show. I think I have come across it on my Netflix scans, though. I just haven't taken the time to watch it. I gather you feel the show worth watching? If so, I'll give it a shot.
    I don't know what type of shows you watch, so I can't know for certain! But I know for a fact you will absolutely love what they're doing with Shadow King in this. He is so powerful and formidable.

    Quote Originally Posted by rutog98 View Post
    Regarding Storm's solo title, I really hope it happens soon because if she doesn't get one, the development Coates gave her in her battle with Adversary will simply be ignored and fade into oblivion in favor of developing Jean and Kitty in the x-books.
    Agreed.


    I have to go for a little bit though, sorry. I'll talk to you guys later!

  15. #270
    Mighty Member Sundowhn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I always thought she could manipulate wind, water and lightning, in the same way Crystal can control the elements or any mutant with fire powers controls fire. Except that Ororo can change the whole weather around her with it, and manipulate what's already there(like if it's raining naturally, she can stop it).
    Yes, I understood that she could manipulate weather but not manifest it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •