View Poll Results: Do you believe Storm to be solely a weather manipulator?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: she needs weather for her powers to work

64 57.14%
  • No: She percieves energy and her manipulation of this results in weather phenomenon

37 33.04%
  • I dont know.

11 9.82%
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

and now that i think of it sonofpsylocke wasnt it you who called storm grotesque? lolol sounds like something a fan of her would call her . lol
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    and now that i think of it sonofpsylocke wasnt it you who called storm grotesque? lolol sounds like something a fan of her would call her . lol
    What on Earth are you talking about?
    What a vile thing to make up, you Storm fans are disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfPsylocke View Post

of course. bye now.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfPsylocke View Post
    You my friend are either a very sad or a very bored individual. Every time I see your name in a Storm thread I know no matter what type of thread it is you are going to bring negativity! We all get it man, you don't like Storm "fans" so why do you feel the need to engage while bringing nothing but negativity to the thread(s)? Normally, I wouldn't have even bothered to respond, but when you say 'you Storm fans are disgusting' you are painting a wide swath and you got me with it.

So I'm genuinely curious as to why you seem to go completely out of your way to come into Storm threads that you know are going to have posters you don't like. To me that seems a bit masochistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Son_Of_A_Goddess View Post
    You my friend are either a very sad or a very bored individual. Every time I see your name in a Storm thread I know no matter what type of thread it is you are going to bring negativity! We all get it man, you don't like Storm "fans" so why do you feel the need to engage while bringing nothing but negativity to the thread(s)? Normally, I wouldn't have even bothered to respond, but when you say 'you Storm fans are disgusting' you are painting a wide swath and you got me with it.

So I'm genuinely curious as to why you seem to go completely out of your way to come into Storm threads that you know are going to have posters you don't like. To me that seems a bit masochistic.
    he does it for attention. you make great points but if I were you I wouldnt engage.

he does it for attention. you make great points but if I were you I wouldnt engage.
    Yeah, you're right. I hardly post as it is and the last thing I need is for the mods to see me in the middle of some drama ha-ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Son_Of_A_Goddess View Post
    Yeah, you're right. I hardly post as it is and the last thing I need is for the mods to see me in the middle of some drama ha-ha.
    lolol me too. and fyi a good friend of mine sent me the images were he called her grotesque.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    There definitely should be tiers of certain techniques and only really powerful telepaths can do certain things:

Low level - basic mind reading
    Mid level - telepathic suggestions
    High level - Mind control
    Expert level - telepathic invisibility

Place the skills into certain categories of difficulty and put telepaths on one of the levels. Like a Cuckoo would be mid/high level while Emma would be Expert level.

To differentiate telepaths from each other some would be better at certain skills than others. For example Emma Frost would be better at illusions than Jean, while Jean would be better telepathic suggestions to large groups pf people at once.
    Right now telepaths are too interchangeable.
    I totally agree with this sub-topic. Back when the New Mutants came out, two fifths of the starting lineup (Karma and Mirage) had their entire mutant powers being a tiny subset of things that Xavier could do. When Cipher joined, he became the *third* New Mutant whose power was a tiny fragment of what Xavier could do. And back when it was just Xavier, that wasn't terrible, but once Jean and Psylocke started teaching people entire languages by touching their foreheads, or downloading skills into people, or having photographic memories, or creating illusions, or becoming psychically invisible, or altering memories, or killing people by shutting down their autonomic nervous systems, or astrally projecting, or 'mind blasts, doing any of the half-dozen other completely valid independent super-powers that got strapped onto the basic 'telepath' skillset, it got kind of gross.

And they *still* kept introducing mutants whose *entire powers* were just fragments of what a telepath could do, like Trance or Scanner (astral projectors) or the Mastermind girls (illusionists) or Prodigy (download skills, and only into himself, making him explicitly weaker than one of the throwaway tricks a basic telepath could do...).

Bad writing, IMO.

I'd prefer for all of those tricks beyond just 'read minds and project thoughts,' including stuff like messing with memories or perceptions, or straight up mind control, or astral projection, or skill assimilation or fast-teaching skills and languages, to be things that someone like Xavier could have developed over an entire lifetime of being a telepath, and not something that a relatively young person like Jean or Betsy or Rachel would just pick up like a stranger at a bar. If mind control, or illusion generation, to pick some examples, were as hard to learn as becoming an opera singer, or neurosurgery, I'd like it a lot better (and characters like Karma and Mirage and the Mastermind girls and Cipher and Prodigy and Trance and Scanner would get to keep their mojo, instead of being instantly redundant the second Betsy, Jean, Rachel, Emma or the Cuckoos swagger into the room).

I just showed two scans from two different eras of storm's self imposed limits. How does exploring her potential fully as a character and acknowledging that her powers are beyond weather control indicative of wanting the things you described? First you must recall Ororo was in full control of her abilities when she first became an xmen sp the likelihood she would disrupt the planet on a global scale because she isnt relaxed isnt in alignment to her showings in the past:

Instances where she has lost control typically hinge around her claustrophobia or when she is angry and that even never resulted in the weather being affected on a global scale. The only time her emotions resulted in any affect on a global scale that i can recall was when Logan died.

I disagree with your last statement; however, I do think the the xmen thst she typically teams with holds her back in the type of power displays I would like to see. She should be on a team with heavy hitters like thor, captain marvel, rachel, etc. The threats the xmen tend to fight dont allow her to cut loose often.
    I think a chief difference in the X-Men and in other Marvel comics is that the X-Men were initially designed to be based around a team. It was never meant to be where just one of them could consistently carry the fight. Heavy hitters with minimal limitations or one button "I win" characters don't work well in that environment. We've seen it often enough that, when a character becomes too strong, their usage drops. We've already talked about, on this forum, the irritation when a single character in a team roster is focused on to the detriment of everyone else. Having her as an all powerful goddess isn't fixing that, to be honest. If she totes around the powers like you describe, with little to no limitation or weaknesses, what's the use of everyone else on the team? That may be fine for people who just want to read about Storm (like Guggenheim's run might have been okay for some Kitty fans), but it's not okay for people who want to see others get time to shine.

The examples I gave were just that -- examples. They were the types of things that could maybe be used to show a price for power. And she should pay a price for the type of power you're talking about.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The energies on that page mentioned were mainly based around her weather control, it does not say all energy. Reducing those energies to "it's all energy so it's all the same" ignores the complexity and properties of these powers. Do you also believe that she is a matter manipulator?
    Considering that she makes wind (pushing air molecules around), makes it hotter or colder (agitating or slowing the movement of those same air molecules) and can make it rain or foggy or dry up (manipulating water molecules in the air), she's *more* of a 'matter manipulator' than she is an 'energy controller.' 'Manipulating energy' doesn't necessarily push air around, or make it rain (or foggy, or clear up rain or fog), or make it hotter or cooler out. She'd be a pretty crap 'weather controller' if what she did was actually manipulating energy.

Indeed, an Ororo constructed primarily around 'energy manipulation' might be unable to 'control weather' at all, and just be able to fly and throw zaps... (Huh, maybe post-mohawk Ororo *is* an energy manipulator, and killed and replaced the original one who could control weather, and that's why she's been so uncreative with the use of her powers for so long!)

And shooting lightning zaps at people, IMO, has always been her least impressive 'feat.' *Tons* of characters can throw zaps. It's Cyclops and Havok's only power! And throwing zaps while flying? Congrats, you're now Banshee or Sunfire or Thunderbird III, characters that are so exciting they've been killed off or abandoned... Throwing zaps is such a generic power that there are characters like Shatterstar who have the ability to shoot zaps (strapped onto the character a few issues after his introduction, when somebody took Liefield aside and reminded him that he kept creating 'mutants' like Cable and Shatterstar and forgetting to give them any actual mutant powers), and never even bother to use it, because they'd rather be edgy and use stupidly-designed double-bladed swords.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 07-08-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    I think a chief difference in the X-Men and in other Marvel comics is that the X-Men were initially designed to be based around a team. It was never meant to be where just one of them could consistently carry the fight. Heavy hitters with minimal limitations or one button "I win" characters don't work well in that environment. We've seen it often enough that, when a character becomes too strong, their usage drops. We've already talked about, on this forum, the irritation when a single character in a team roster is focused on to the detriment of everyone else. Having her as an all powerful goddess isn't fixing that, to be honest. If she totes around the powers like you describe, with little to no limitation or weaknesses, what's the use of everyone else on the team? That may be fine for people who just want to read about Storm (like Guggenheim's run might have been okay for some Kitty fans), but it's not okay for people who want to see others get time to shine.

The examples I gave were just that -- examples. They were the types of things that could maybe be used to show a price for power. And she should pay a price for the type of power you're talking about.

Question. What weaknesses does she not have by not embarrassing her abilities as driver since cksremont wrote? would reality warping not work on her, telepathy, could she not be crushed by falling debris? and I don't think the current group of characters work well with her abilities. however she makes it work because of her self imposed limits. and let's not act like storm and her usage in the books is anything like kitty. storm isnt shown knowing everything, saving the day, and being infallible. this didnt even happen when ororo lead a team. need i remind you of ivx.

no disrespect but I don't think you examples are good ones. I'm not asking for her to be unbeatable I'm asking that she be written powerwise consistent to how Claremont wrote her. I'm not sure how that equates to her being unbeatable and without weakness.

lolol me too. and fyi a good friend of mine sent me the images were he called her grotesque.
    The only thing grotesque is his constant bashing of our dear and powerful Ororo......your absolutely right! I wouldn’t engage any further.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfsbane View Post
    The only thing grotesque is his constant bashing of our dear and powerful Ororo......your absolutely right! I wouldn’t engage any further.
    thanks beloved when they go low we go high

Once again, Storm fans are making the argument of why Storm is canonically omnipotent... What is it with Storm fans’ obsession over having Storm be the most powerful being in existence?! And don’t tell me all that it’s not unique to Storm because other characters have their own fans who are obsessed with their feats. I know that all characters have some faction of fans who want their favorite to be shown as powerful but it seems that most Storm fans (at least on these forums) want her to be established as this uber powerful omnipotent goddess who can do anything. If they had their way Storm could manipulate all types of energy on unlimited scale and she could channel some vague primal energies to slow her aging, heal faster than Wolverine, enhance her strenght & durability to Hulk-like levels and she could simulate psychic abilities by manipulating electrical impulses in the brains. Oh and obviously on top of that she’d be a Dr. Strange level mystic as well. I just don’t understand why her fans are so obsessed with her powers.? It’s like they actually hate her and want her to become too OP for any writer to use.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    Once again, Storm fans are making the argument of why Storm is canonically omnipotent... What is it with Storm fans’ obsession over having Storm be the most powerful being in existence?! And don’t tell me all that it’s not unique to Storm because other characters have their own fans who are obsessed with their feats. I know that all characters have some faction of fans who want their favorite to be shown as powerful but it seems that most Storm fans (at least on these forums) want her to be established as this uber powerful omnipotent goddess who can do anything. If they had their way Storm could manipulate all types of energy on unlimited scale and she could channel some vague primal energies to slow her aging, heal faster than Wolverine, enhance her strenght & durability to Hulk-like levels and she could simulate psychic abilities by manipulating electrical impulses in the brains. Oh and obviously on top of that she’d be a Dr. Strange level mystic as well. I just don’t understand why her fans are so obsessed with her powers.? It’s like they actually hate her and want her to become too OP for any writer to use.
    Every Character has their own fanbase that has some fans that want to see their character grow. AND Yes, do need to hear it what your doing is singling out Storm fans. We are not the ONLY fans that are obsessed with their character's powers. There is nothing wrong with wanting to see your characters full potential. Storm has been written down pretty badly for a while now and her fans are fed up. Storm has a lot of untapped potential and when she finally gets a push it seems like everyone has a problem with it. If this is a problem that you don't particularly like then don't visit a thread that has Storm in it.....