View Poll Results: Do you believe Storm to be solely a weather manipulator?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: she needs weather for her powers to work

64 57.14%
  • No: She percieves energy and her manipulation of this results in weather phenomenon

37 33.04%
  • I dont know.

11 9.82%
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Son_Of_A_Goddess View Post
    Did you read the thread or just decide to come in and post some snark?

It's not about something Storm did 20 years ago, it's about people misunderstanding her powers and that if she doesn't have weather she's powerless, which decades of canon have shown us is not the case at all.

People complain about Kitty because it is absolutely ridiculous that a child is leading veteran X-men in combat and said veteran X-men are acting like their brains are no longer working.
    Chile I ain't know we still responded to Dusty the Snow Woman fans
    DhjEmssWkAE8vFw.jpg
    Faves: Ororo Munroe♥ Maxima Of Almerac♥ Donna Troy♥ Mari Jiwe McCabe♥ Jean Grey♥ Cyclops♥ Monet♥ Wanda Maximoff♥ Jubilee♥
    CHECKMATE
    GA: "She moves fast"..
    F:"Compared to who?"
    GA:"Hold her!"
    F:"Does it look like I'm not trying!?"

♡♡♡

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinman View Post
    Kind of? The thread is more of a setup. It gives you a poll with some options, but if you choose the option that is different from the acolytes of goddess storm instead of just being a normal fan of hers you will be heckled. It’s more of a bait and switch than an actual thread for discussion.
    I know I missed some pages but where has a poster been heckled?
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieOnTsunami View Post
    DhjEmssWkAE8vFw.jpg
    Lol!

I had to say something, it's like they were missing the entire point of the thread to try and come in and get a quick verbal one up.

I also want to take a moment and reflect on the poll. 60% of the votes totally ignore decades worth of canon in favor of some sub-par method to her powers because of the chance it allows her to do some things they don't think she could. The inanity!.

Is it really so hard for people not to label others and generalize their opinions? Can it not just be possible for some fans to discuss and actually disagree with each other without assumed to be a biased fanboy/girl?

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JustAnotherFan View Post
    Once again, Storm fans are making the argument of why Storm is canonically omnipotent... What is it with Storm fans’ obsession over having Storm be the most powerful being in existence?! And don’t tell me all that it’s not unique to Storm because other characters have their own fans who are obsessed with their feats. I know that all characters have some faction of fans who want their favorite to be shown as powerful but it seems that most Storm fans (at least on these forums) want her to be established as this uber powerful omnipotent goddess who can do anything. If they had their way Storm could manipulate all types of energy on unlimited scale and she could channel some vague primal energies to slow her aging, heal faster than Wolverine, enhance her strenght & durability to Hulk-like levels and she could simulate psychic abilities by manipulating electrical impulses in the brains. Oh and obviously on top of that she’d be a Dr. Strange level mystic as well. I just don’t understand why her fans are so obsessed with her powers.? It’s like they actually hate her and want her to become too OP for any writer to use.
    where has any storm fan said she is omnipotent or even should be? do you guys seriously even read anything that is being said or are you making responses based upon biases you have against the character and/or her fans? do you have issue with the way thor is portrayed, how about hulk, any issue with superman? storm fans want her to be consistently shown as established early own in terms of how her powers operate. and it's very funny. you say fans want her to be this goddess character but we dont have to want it as it was confirmed she is one. do you see the hilarity of your condemnation of her fans when marvel has confirmed everything we have wanted which aligns to what happened in canon? and her fans are no different from WW, thor, hulk, superman and other powerful characters who like to see their faves do what superhero characters do. what I find confusing is how people are so amazed that comicbook fans of powerful characters would want them be shown as such.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    If Marvel did go this route, I think the best place to explore Storm's powers in depth would be a solo series. I know that one is in the works by Ta-Nehisi Coates, though Marvel hasn't committed to a release date. I would be curious to see how well this depiction of her worked, and whether it made for compelling stories. It could, though my concern would be that it would make her series about her powers rather than her character. It would potentially feel like a Brandon Sanderson novel, where it's all about exploring the magic system. Some people are into that, but I find it dull.

For context, I say this as a Gambit fan who found the New Sun/Son arc the most boring that Gambit has been. Alternate Gambit is basically a god who fulfills a prophecy and can move planets and has not a single interesting moment as a character. It made me grateful that Sinister ripped out that part of his brain.
    I agree and when the book happens I hope they do explore her abilities there.

Danke!

But the thing is, no Storm fan would want Storm to stay at that level. For decades, fans have been saying Storm is a goddess and many dismissed that claim as the preachings of rabid fan boys and low and behold Coates comes along and makes it official.

At the end of the day it would be nice to have confirmation of the things we've been saying that is supported by canon!

Yeah, this really irked me! While I appreciate them wanting to do a Storm solo if there was nothing concrete and it was condensed down to 'when they both have time' why even bother teasing it in the first place? At best it's annoying and at worse, it borders on cruel

Ha-ha, well I suppose you can thank butterflykyss as they encouraged me to start posting more. But I've been lurking on the site for years now, hell the only reason I made an account was to view the scans posted lol.

qft boo!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    is this called "miseducation of Ms. Munore" because she did something 20 years ago and never did anything like it again?

The All-Goddess isn't effective in a team book. We all complain about Kitty's ridiculous antics any other character is the same. No one character should be able to do everything and solve every problem. It's boring.

The Acolytes of the All-Goddess have their own thread this one is redundant.
    No it's called the title I gave it for the reason I gave at the beginning. If you in fact had read it you wouldn't have to ask the silly question you asked. And 20 years ago? last i checked she was confirmed a goddess and defeated a universal threat not even a year ago. maybe I'm confused here but where are you getting your numbers?

Did you read the thread or just decide to come in and post some snark?

It's not about something Storm did 20 years ago, it's about people misunderstanding her powers and that if she doesn't have weather she's powerless, which decades of canon have shown us is not the case at all.

People complain about Kitty because it is absolutely ridiculous that a child is leading veteran X-men in combat and said veteran X-men are acting like their brains are no longer working.
    people love to sass fans of storm. it's quite ridiculous but its expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinman View Post
    Kind of? The thread is more of a setup. It gives you a poll with some options, but if you choose the option that is different from the acolytes of goddess storm instead of just being a normal fan of hers you will be heckled. It’s more of a bait and switch than an actual thread for discussion.
    ha. the only ones being heckled here are the fans who want her to be written in alignment to her past showings. please show me a post where "normal fans" as you call them have been heckled? in fact your response is passive aggressive and form of heckling as you are implying fans are abnormal for not thinking as normal fans who think like you do.

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    I know I missed some pages but where has a poster been heckled?
    lolol its absurdity in its finest. I swear it is like living in the twilight zone.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Danke!

But the thing is, no Storm fan would want Storm to stay at that level. For decades, fans have been saying Storm is a goddess and many dismissed that claim as the preachings of rabid fan boys and low and behold Coates comes along and makes it official.

At the end of the day it would be nice to have confirmation of the things we've been saying that is supported by canon!

I would argue that Coates handled it as pandering to rabid fanboys and has quite possibly helped to further destroy her usability in the X-Men franchise.

You are incorrect when you say "no Storm fan would want...". I am a Storm fan, and I don't want this. I am not the least bit interested in seeing her portrayed as a goddess. In fact, I've watched her become progressively less interesting the more writers focused on her powers rather than the substance of the character. Coates simply took it to the next level and has made it harder to bring her back down to a humanized character. (Of course, I've never cared for Superman nor Wonder Woman for that very reason. I find them impossible to relate to.)

As far as the character concept and power set, this is from Storm's creator (about midway down):

https://uncannyxmen.net/miscellaneou...-for-the-x-men

"power to manipulate the weather"

She's actually a blend of three characters.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    where has any storm fan said she is omnipotent or even should be? do you guys seriously even read anything that is being said or are you making responses based upon biases you have against the character and/or her fans? do you have issue with the way thor is portrayed, how about hulk, any issue with superman? storm fans want her to be consistently shown as established early own in terms of how her powers operate. and it's very funny. you say fans want her to be this goddess character but we dont have to want it as it was confirmed she is one. do you see the hilarity of your condemnation of her fans when marvel has confirmed everything we have wanted which aligns to what happened in canon? and her fans are no different from WW, thor, hulk, superman and other powerful characters who like to see their faves do what superhero characters do. what I find confusing is how people are so amazed that comicbook fans of powerful characters would want them be shown as such.

I agree and when the book happens I hope they do explore her abilities there.

qft boo!!

No it's called the title I gave it for the reason I gave at the beginning. If you in fact had read it you wouldn't have to ask the silly question you asked. And 20 years ago? last i checked she was confirmed a goddess and defeated a universal threat not even a year ago. maybe I'm confused here but where are you getting your numbers?

people love to sass fans of storm. it's quite ridiculous but its expected.

ha. the only ones being heckled here are the fans who want her to be written in alignment to her past showings. please show me a post where "normal fans" as you call them have been heckled? in fact your response is passive aggressive and form of heckling as you are implying fans are abnormal for not thinking as normal fans who think like you do.

lolol its absurdity in its finest. I swear it is like living in the twilight zone.
    Think they're talking about Lauryn Hill not releasing anything mainstream in 20 years. I think a lot of that has to do with how she has been received by the mainstream though. The mainstream mainly the "white gaze" do not like her activism. So she has been an outcast in a sea of celebrity musicians as she does not play ball with establishment record companies

They ruthlessly smeared here but she's still around

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    I would argue that Coates handled it as pandering to rabid fanboys and has quite possibly helped to further destroy her usability in the X-Men franchise....
    I really don't understand people/fans like you in the slightest. The goddess aspect of Storm's character has been integral to the character from the beginning when Xavier saw her and her "older than time" blue eyes. You guys act like this is something Coates pulled out of his arse in an effort to just annoy people.

This relatability argument is funny in nearly every aspect because it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me. We're you worshiped as a weather goddess? Did you trek across the Sahara and almost die of thirst? Are you descended from a long line of African "witch women"? Did you marry the king of the most advanced nation on Earth? I'm going to go out on a limb and say no to everything. Are there things about Storm that are relatable, absolutely, but this claim that any power upgrade is the beginning of the end for any possible use for the Storm is complete and utter nonsense that's bordering on fear propaganda to lure in more people to that mindset.

You are incorrect when you say "no Storm fan would want...". I am a Storm fan, and I don't want this.
    No disrespect intended, but are you sure you're a fan of all of Storm? This blood right of divinity has been there since her first page on the panel and obviously over the years it was expanded until we get what Coates gave us.

In fact, I've watched her become progressively less interesting the more writers focused on her powers rather than the substance of the character.
    Please point me to a writer other than Coates, who has done anything with Storm's powers besides make her throw lightning bolts. If you're speaking of X-men Gold you will find no love for me with that entire debacle and I'd just as much rather Storm be taken out of the book entirely!

As for the bold the two intrinsically intertwined when you have one without the other Storm doesn't feel complete as a character at least to me. You may feel different and that's perfectly fine, but I don't see an issue with the woman and the Goddess being explored in full.

Coates simply took it to the next level and has made it harder to bring her back down to a humanized character. (Of course, I've never cared for Superman nor Wonder Woman for that very reason. I find them impossible to relate to.)
    Again, Storm has been called a Goddess from day 1. That's as plain as the fact she has white hair and blue eyes so why are people suddenly grabbing their torches and wanting to riot at the fact that it finally came to fruition is beyond me.

My issue is that as far as I know Storm hasn't used her new divine status in any meaningful way outside of Black Panther so I'm confused as to where you're getting this "harder to bring her back down to a humanized character." Furthermore, I'm sorry but I just can't gel with the idea that you look for a weather controlling Goddess and see 'humanized'. Again, you may be different, but when I pick up something about a character called Storm I'm expecting to be blown away by amazing displays of elemental power not some hum drum Mary Jane. If I wanted that sort of read I'd pick up an Archie comic.

As far as the character concept and power set, this is from Storm's creator (about midway down): https://uncannyxmen.net/miscellaneou...-for-the-x-men "Power to manipulate the weather" She's actually a blend of three characters.
    I was fully aware of this, but thanks for the link, but I will admit I'm confused as to why you brought it up.
    Last edited by Son_Of_A_Goddess; 07-09-2018 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    where has any storm fan said she is omnipotent or even should be?.
    Im not going to call anyone out but there's a certain poster on this forum that does act like that who's vocal and bad enough that he gives Storm fans a bad name

I really don't understand people/fans like you in the slightest.
    Back at you.

The goddess aspect of Storm's character has been integral to the character from the beginning when Xavier saw her and her "older than time" blue eyes. You guys act like this is something Coates pulled out of his arse in an effort to just annoy people.
    Her original story had her worshiped falsely as a goddess. She was living in a fantasy world.

This relatability argument is funny in nearly every aspect because it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me. We're you worshiped as a weather goddess? Did you trek across the Sahara and almost die of thirst? Are you descended from a long line of African "witch women"? Did you marry the king of the most advanced nation on Earth? I'm going to go out on a limb and say no to everything.
    Strawman argument. If that were the case, no superhero, ever, would be a relatable character. I can feel a humanity in the character from depictions of her inner strength mixed with compassion and determination. My favorite scenes have been those where she's reached out with compassion to those in need, as the big sister or the mother or the friend, where she's beat the odds with strength of will. Those are the things that humanize her for me. When she led the X-Men sans powers, that was the substance of Ororo to me. The more focus that's given to her powers, the less likely writers are to focus on her substance.

Clearly, you and some of the others posting here wish to see different things. Whatever floats your boat, but I don't agree she should be a goddess, and I think her powers work as she was designed -- to manipulate weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 07-09-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Back at you.
    Hot potato.

Her original story had her worshiped falsely as a goddess. She was living in a fantasy world.
    Xavier and yourself are both right and wrong. Storm is a mutant, but she's also something more! As T'challa put it the power that flows through her blood is more than just any mutation. Xavier was ignorant of that power as well as the lineage Ororo descends from.
    RCO019.jpg

Strawman argument. If that were the case, no superhero, ever, would be a relatable character. I can feel a humanity in the character from depictions of her inner strength mixed with compassion and determination. My favorite scenes have been those where she's reached out with compassion to those in need, as the big sister or the mother or the friend, where she's beat the odds with strength of will. Those are the things that humanize her for me. When she led the X-Men sans powers, that was the substance of Ororo to me. The more focus that's given to her powers, the less likely writers are to focus on her substance.
    If that's the way you feel my friend then I think you are wholly underselling Ororo's strength of character out of some misplaced fear that she'll suddenly develop into some power hungry creature that makes Dark Phoenix looks like Tweety bird. My Ororo is perfectly capable of balancing immense power while retaining that reverence for life and the strength to beat the odds. Why do I think that? Look at her history and look at all she's overcome. Think about the fact that everyday she has to keep her emotions on lock down or risk the weather going crazy. That amount of dedication and strength of will is all the proof I need. Also, the fact she hasn't totally gone off the deep end and just fried every enemy on sight is also a plus.

Clearly, you and some of the others posting here wish to see different things. Whatever floats your boat, but I don't agree she should be a goddess, and I think her powers work as she was designed -- to manipulate weather.
    I'm sorry where did I say her power isn't to manipulate the weather? That has always been the case the issue that some people like yourself can't seem to grasp is that it doesn't stop there due to the root of her powers. I won't spam the thread with the same scans explaining her energy sight as I'm sure we've all seen 100 times already but that's my point. Yes, she can control the weather, but it goes deeper than that and people are scared of those possibilities.

We can agree to disagree. I can assure you you're not changing my mind with the argument you're giving me. Either way it's really not up to either one of us! Let's not forget that by this time next month the source and strength of Storm's powers may be dependent on the length of her hair. #X-menGold31

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I would argue that Coates handled it as pandering to rabid fanboys and has quite possibly helped to further destroy her usability in the X-Men franchise.

You are incorrect when you say "no Storm fan would want...". I am a Storm fan, and I don't want this. I am not the least bit interested in seeing her portrayed as a goddess. In fact, I've watched her become progressively less interesting the more writers focused on her powers rather than the substance of the character. Coates simply took it to the next level and has made it harder to bring her back down to a humanized character. (Of course, I've never cared for Superman nor Wonder Woman for that very reason. I find them impossible to relate to.)

As far as the character concept and power set, this is from Storm's creator (about midway down):

https://uncannyxmen.net/miscellaneou...-for-the-x-men

"power to manipulate the weather"

She's actually a blend of three characters.
    I love that you are quoting the creators. How about we quote Dave Cockrum himself regarding his intentions behind creating ororo:

What I had in mind was to make her the most powerful woman in comics, and the most beautiful woman in comics, and I think I’ve succeeded,” Dave Cockrum told the audience at RiverCon ‘75. “If I can find someone who looks like her, the two tickets to Tierra del Fuego are right here in my pocket.”

http://seanhowe.tumblr.com/post/1270...e-her-the-most

How's that for a rabid fan? (^_^)

Now to your points. Why would Coates need to pander to a rabid fanbase? And why are you attacking fans calling them rabid in the first place is it really that serious that you must insult people who think differently from you? He wrote the character that way because he wanted to. Coates doesnt even write for the xoffices. If any fanbase he would need to cater to it would be the BP fans.

And Storm has never been a human and was never created to be one (see above). The punk era was done to show how human she could be without powers (which technically she never lost) but even then she was still exceptional. Coates actually tied a loose string that Claremont had hinted at years ago where she stated she wasnt a goddess yet. Its fine if you don't like it. There are many things I dont like that has been with her over the years but to color this as him catering to a fanbase as if it isnt based in stories canonically sound coming from a fan of hers is really disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by CookieOnTsunami View Post
    DhjEmssWkAE8vFw.jpg
    lolol why am I just seeing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Im not going to call anyone out but there's a certain poster on this forum that does act like that who's vocal and bad enough that he gives Storm fans a bad name
    I dont give a storm's thunderclap about how some people let storm fans rub them the wrong way to the point that the come into a thread to make irrational claims not mentioned by any poster in this thread nor in the OP. there is simply no excuse for that and we all should hold people accountable for their silly and petty behavior as opposed to enabling it by justifying inexcusable behavior.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 07-10-2018 at 08:50 AM.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    There is nobody on this forum who thinks Storm should be written at her absolute best in every issue.

Energy manipulation doesn't make Storm too powerful for Storm to venture into the too powerful realm she would need a pure energy form or superman like resistance damage. It is interesting what people deem to strong just a point of reference Magneto shows up in team books just fine with no complaints from what I have observed and Magneto has feats that make Storm look tame imo. They are still stamina issue and physical issues(yeah a bullet or knife kills her) that make her in comic book sense have weakness. I don't understand the big deal about energy manipulation aspects of her power. If her powers is just "Weather control" that is pretty limiting considering how does one make weather indoors and other places. It is easy to see why her powers if that wasn't the original intent was change to work in that manner. I can't speak on zealousness of some people approach to talking to about Storm but the arguments of her being too powerful with a writer exploring the full extents of her energy manipulation I find silly. Comics is filled characters way more difficult to write while I have seen anything mention in thread that prevents a Storm scene from being written like this

Storm turns back, Person picks up brick, Person throw bricks and knocks out Storm

As long as that remain true Storm is fine. Now try doing that scene with Superman,Wonder Woman or Thor in place of Storm.