View Poll Results: Do you believe Storm to be solely a weather manipulator?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: she needs weather for her powers to work

64 57.14%
  • No: She percieves energy and her manipulation of this results in weather phenomenon

37 33.04%
  • I dont know.

11 9.82%
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The reason I mentioned these energies specifically is because they all have one thing in common. They are all completely fictional. Their properties don't have to align with anything about energy as we know it (and they kind of don't already). The energy perception page doesn't account for these fictional energies and her being able to control them wouldn't make sense. Looking at how her power works an how these specific energies work they should be out of her control.
    Another question. Do you think she can control gravity and other fundamental forces?
    How are these energies any different from regular energy?

Cyclops blast is concussive in nature so it functions as force (which O'roro can control ie pressure gradients etc.) TK is based upon psionic abilities when is how O'roro powers function to a degree. And Sue's powers though it operates on the same energy as the celestial armor, her shields operate at wavelengths similar to varying forms of light and sound wavelengths which is why she can allow certain lights and sound through her shield. All of this is still energy, even if fictional.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    question. is your statement based upon actual canon or your opinion of how you want her powers to work? the question i was posing is how do you understand her powers to work and why? not what you would like her powers to work.
    I do not care even a tiny little bit about canon.
    And neither does Chris Claremont.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I do not care even a tiny little bit about canon.
    And neither does Chris Claremont.
    thanks for giving me insight ttyl your thought process in the matter.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfPsylocke View Post
    This thread is just another excuse for the Storm fans to clog up the boards with how amazing Storm and her powers are.
    You could have easily discussed this in the appreciation thread. What is even the point of having it, if not for stuff like this?
    Psylocke thread too far down? you know you could have simply posted there instead of pushing this thread you have a problem with back to the top. And of course a response to your question will also do that. So basically you pushed this thread up at least twice.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Psylocke thread too far down? you know you could have simply posted there instead of pushing this thread you have a problem with back to the top. And of course a response to your question will also do that. So basically you pushed this thread up at least twice.
    every storm thread that pops up, which are not many these days, this poster make it a point to Express his distaste for storm. I was hoping people would just ignore them this go round lol.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    Yeah, mark me down in favour of her "just" being a weather manipulator. Because that's not "just" anything. It's acts-of-god level power by itself (biblical god, not loosey-goosey Marvel definition of what a god is this week) - with even a little imagination, Ororo can halt entire armies by burying them in snow, or create tidal waves, or melt the ice caps (or fix them, which someone ought to ask her about), or exhaust her enemies by dialling up the ambient temperature until they get heatstroke, or...you get it. Her powers, in their most classic form, are amazing, and only come off as unsatisfactory or 'not enough' when left in the hands of poor creators who treat her like she's just a floating lightning gun.

On the flipside, apart from the explanation of 'energy control' being hopelessly vague and less unique (Marvel has a LOT of energy controllers), this extension of her scope has never lasted long after being brought up - because sooner or later she has to be presented as mortal again - and often doesn't amount to much worthy of note. Perfect example: that last Black Panther arc, where everyone prays to her and she channels belief energy to become GODDESS OF ALL WAKANDA~ and then...is just a floaty lightning gun. But like, with a purple glow around the edges. Oooh, ahhh, etc.

(Sidenote because I'm sure it'll come up: Storm's powers working on other planets is fine. So long as said planet has a climate and atmosphere of its own, it's perfectly believable that she'd be able to exert her will over it just the same. Using her powers in actual space, however, is nonsense. Space has no atmosphere. That is its key defining trait. All it has is conflicting gravitational pulls, the naked radiation of local stars, and lots of fast-moving rocks. ROCKS ARE NOT WEATHER.)
    Agreed.

All I really want is for writers to have her actually use all the variations of weather...heat/cold, pressure, precipitation...creatively, rather than just relying on lightning...Lightning Lass is tired and stale.

Personally, while I'm not averse to a "big" feat like the galactic core/solar winds stuff, her recent Goddess ascension, I don't put much stock in them and are best left as "one and dones" as they really do stretch one's suspension of disbelief to great lengths and even more so when the writers themselves don't know exactly HOW the principles of such scenarios would/should actually work. (I would love to hear Claremont's rationale behind the SW feat at the time, other than it sounds bloody impressive).
    I tend to think less of writers who leave the mechanics of her "feats" up to the speculation of the readers. As that means it's up to as many interpretations as there are readers.

I am not advocating for a less powerful Storm, quite the opposite actually. I just want to see her use the full range of her weather manipulation powers to great and creative effect. There are so many awesome, astounding and powerful way in which her powers, in their basic iteration, can be applied if only modern day writers would just take the time and effort to do some research.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-05-2018 at 04:56 PM.

How are these energies any different from regular energy?

Cyclops blast is concussive in nature so it functions as force (which O'roro can control ie pressure gradients etc.) TK is based upon psionic abilities when is how O'roro powers function to a degree. And Sue's powers though it operates on the same energy as the celestial armor, her shields operate at wavelengths similar to varying forms of light and sound wavelengths which is why she can allow certain lights and sound through her shield. All of this is still energy, even if fictional.
    Sorry, but I don't see Storm controlling any of these at all and I hope Marvel never lets her do that.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

The reason I mentioned these energies specifically is because they all have one thing in common. They are all completely fictional. Their properties don't have to align with anything about energy as we know it (and they kind of don't already). The energy perception page doesn't account for these fictional energies and her being able to control them wouldn't make sense. Looking at how her power works an how these specific energies work they should be out of her control.

Another question:

Do you think she can control gravity and other fundamental forces (besides electromagnetism)?

I actually agree with this to an extent because given that mutants are evolutionary beings i think their powers are intrinsically connected with their bodies. For instance i don't think jean would be as powerful as she was if she was stuck in emma's body or emma would be as strong as Jean if she was in Jean's body. She could utilize the power but never fully access it. It's like us just think about how many actions our minds have subconsciously absorbed over the years to control how we move, breathe, speak, now throw us into the mind and body of someone else. Our consciousness would be the same but could we truly control that body as easily as we did our own? I doubt it. We didn't experience depth perception or lip movement with that body so i imagine our minds would try to do it as though we were in our own bodies. The only way i could really see Storm controlling Cyclops power is if she was actually sitting there analyzing it with her powers and trying to really figure out how the energies worked. I think that would only be possible if she was like "Hey scott i need you to shoot a blast for like 10 hours so i can use my powers to find out what kind of energy it is and how it works." much like how the scan showed her having to get attune to a planet. At that point i think she would only be able to produce it once he fired a blast i.e redirection but thats all as she would know how it's property works. But even then i don't tihnk she could directly control it but she could use it and convert it into something else. As for an invisible force field or TK i don't think she can because she can't see it. She may be able to feel the energy but she can't see it to learn how to manipulate it.
    Last edited by jwatson; 07-05-2018 at 04:29 PM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Sorry, but I don't see Storm controlling any of these at all and I hope Marvel never lets her do that.
    explain this to me what makes those energies different from other energies that exist in the mu?

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I actually agree with this to an extent because given that mutants are evolutionary beings i think their powers are intrinsically connected with their bodies. For instance i don't think jean would be as powerful as she was if she was stuck in emma's body or emma would be as strong as Jean if she was in Jean's body. She could utilize the power but never fully access it. It's like us just think about how many actions our minds have subconsciously absorbed over the years to control how we move, breathe, speak, now throw us into the mind and body of someone else. Our consciousness would be the same but could we truly control that body as easily as we did our own? I doubt it. We didn't experience depth perception or lip movement with that body so i imagine our minds would try to do it as though we were in our own bodies. The only way i could really see Storm controlling Cyclops power is if she was actually sitting there analyzing it with her powers and trying to really figure out how the energies worked. I think that would only be possible if she was like "Hey scott i need you to shoot a blast for like 10 hours so i can use my powers to find out what kind of energy it is and how it works." much like how the scan showed her having to get attune to a planet. At that point i think she would only be able to produce it once he fired a blast i.e redirection but thats all as she would know how it's property works. But even then i don't tihnk she could directly control it but she could use it and convert it into something else. As for an invisible force field or TK i don't think she can because she can't see it. She may be able to feel the energy but she can't see it to learn how to manipulate it.
    one cant see "thermal", "chemical", radiation forms of energy either. her energy sight is what allowed her to see various forms of energy that are not visible to the normal human eye.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 07-05-2018 at 04:44 PM.

explain this to me what makes those energies different from other energies that exist in the mu?
    Telekinesis/telepathy - It's completely psionic in nature the only ones who can should be able to control that energy are telepaths. Storm being able to psioncally control the weather just means that it's a mental process, not that she can control psionic energy.

Cyclops blasts - I'm not much of an expert on Cyclops. All I know is that it comes from the "Punch dimension" which means that it doesn't have to abide by any of the laws of 616. A Cyclops fan would be better to answer this.

Sue's Force-fields - They're weird....

Other than it not making sense to me, my major problem is that these abilities are unique to their respective characters and giving Storm access to these reduces the uniqueness of them. She doesn't and shouldn't need to be able to control them. It takes away from the characters and does nothing worthwhile for Storm. It's a bad thing for all.
    You couldn't tell me you wouldn't be pissed if Marvel decided to give Carol Danvers weather manipulation on top of her existing powers.
    Last edited by Crimz; 07-05-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Telekinesis/telepathy - It's completely psionic in nature the only ones who can should be able to control that energy are telepaths. Storm being able to psioncally control the weather just means that it's a mental process, not that she can control psionic energy.

Cyclops blasts - I'm not much of an expert on Cyclops. All I know is that it comes from the "Punch dimension" which means that it doesn't have to abide by any of the laws of 616. A Cyclops fan would be better to answer this.

Sue's Force-fields - They're weird....

Other than it not making sense to me, my major problem is that these abilities are unique to their respective characters and giving Storm access to these reduces the uniqueness of them. She doesn't and shouldn't need to be able to control them. It takes away from the characters and does nothing worthwhile for Storm. It's a bad thing for all.
    You couldn't tell me you wouldn't be pissed if Marvel decided to give Carol Danvers weather manipulation on top of her existing powers.

Psionics powers are still a form of energy, much like radio waves, light frequencies etc. So though she has never willfully controlled a psionic power her powers as described should allow her to control them.

This is also true of cyclops blast. Now I believe from what I understand cyclops beam originate from another dimension but at its core it's still a concussive energy.

As also the same with Sue's shield they are a form of energy on the wavelength of celestial armor.

The reason I would feel some type of way about Carol is that her powers have never been expressed a functioning in a way that allows her to manipulate weather. The thing with storm is that she was never just a weather manipulator. Claremont explained numerous times that she sees energies patterns and controls them. I think people who feel some type of way of her doing things outside of weather were never aware of this fact or it disnt make sense to them, none of which matters when 616 canon supports the claim she is an energy manipulator.

Psionics powers are still a form of energy, much like radio waves, light frequencies etc. So though she has never willfully controlled a psionic power her powers as described should allow her to control them.

This is also true of cyclops blast. Now I believe from what I understand cyclops beam originate from another dimension but at its core it's still a concussive energy.

As also the same with Sue's shield they are a form of energy on the wavelength of celestial armor.

The reason I would feel some type of way about Carol is that her powers have never been expressed a functioning in a way that allows her to manipulate weather. The thing with storm is that she was never just a weather manipulator. Claremont explained numerous times that she sees energies patterns and controls them. I think people who feel some type of way of her doing things outside of weather were never aware of this fact or it disnt make sense to them, none of which matters when 616 canon supports the claim she is an energy manipulator.
    Storm can not control all energy she has not been shown to be able to control any of those three energies. It's also not like she hasn't been exposed enough to some of them, her teammate was Cyclops and psychics are abundant in the X-Men and their enemies. If she had the power to control them it would have happened already. She should never be able to control them, it undermines these characters and it's unnecessary for Storm. These energies simply are and forever will be beyond her control.
    There is no difference between this and giving Carol weather manipulation. This discussion is pointless anyway as Marvel would never let Storm be able to do that (thankfully).
    Last edited by Crimz; 07-05-2018 at 06:26 PM.

Storm can not control all energy she has not been shown to be able to control any of those three energies. It's also not like she hasn't been exposed enough to some of them, her teammate was Cyclops and psychics are abundant in the X-Men and their enemies. If she had the power to control them it would have happened already. She should never be able to control them, it undermines these characters and it's unnecessary for Storm. These energies simply are and forever will be beyond her control.
    There is no difference to this than giving Carol weather manipulation.

I'm not saying she should control those energies. remember I mentioned this would probably never happen. but the fact that her power is based in controlling energy that she percieves around her, if a writer wanted to explore her full potential I think based upon this very scan her controlling those energies would align to how her powers were described even without her ever having controlling any of those forms of energy. the scan doesnt say energy that is only associated with weather.

and I disagree about what would happen already. for 40 some odd years storm was believed to be only a mutant but now we know that she is a goddess. there is so much about her powers that havent been explored or even touch on imo. and they may for ever be out of her control and never shown in canon. I'm not saying she should ever be able to control them. again I'm simply saying if it ever were to happen it shouldnt be of a surprise to anyone.

I'm not saying she should control those energies. remember I mentioned this would probably never happen. but the fact that her power is based in controlling energy that she percieves around her, if a writer wanted to explore her full potential I think based upon this very scan her controlling those energies would align to how her powers were described even without her ever having controlling any of those forms of energy. the scan doesnt say energy that is only associated with weather.

and I disagree about what would happen already. for 40 some odd years storm was believed to be only a mutant but now we know that she is a goddess. there is so much about her powers that havent been explored or even touch on imo. and they may for ever be out of her control and never shown in canon. I'm not saying she should ever be able to control them. again I'm simply saying if it ever were to happen it shouldnt be of a surprise to anyone.

The bold is the most important thing. She control's the energy she perceives with that sight. The question is can she perceive those energies I mentioned? It has never been said that they are even within her perception let alone control.

If that ever were to happen a lot of people would be rightly pissed.