View Poll Results: Do you believe Storm to be solely a weather manipulator?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: she needs weather for her powers to work

64 57.14%
  • No: She percieves energy and her manipulation of this results in weather phenomenon

37 33.04%
  • I dont know.

11 9.82%
Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    its not generally restricted to weather. I can list a whole list of showings she has done that doewnr correlate to weather at all. such as shutting down sinisters brain, healing the trion dimension, commanding the energies of the galactic core, creating a solar wind blast in space to destroy a sentinel, shutting down the power to a skrull space ship... need I go on?
    The only one not associated with energies used for weather control is the Trion one. Even then you probably could categorize it under those energies too with some comic mumbo jumbo.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

its not generally restricted to weather. I can list a whole list of showings she has done that doewnr correlate to weather at all. such as shutting down sinisters brain, healing the trion dimension, commanding the energies of the galactic core, creating a solar wind blast in space to destroy a sentinel, shutting down the power to a skrull space ship... need I go on?
    This is such a weird hill to choose to die on. Storm's powers are famous for being written to do all sorts of things her mutation cannot be described as capable of doing. I'm suspicious of your intent. Acknowledging her described mutation means hand-waving Storm's more inexplicable feats as the wankings of the author. Changing her powerset to the seemingly more accurate but less unique "energy manipulator" means a retcon of the public's understanding of the character. You might even be suggesting that Storm isn't a mutant at all, but a human avatar for a wind/storm goddess, which would fit and suit the feats, but would mean she's not a mutant in the vein that she's been commonly understood.

For me, I like the idea that she's an atmospheric psychokinetic... and presented with weaknesses that Claremont and others might not be keen to present. Her mind perceives things like gaseous pressures, humidity, temperature, and electrical current in a macroscopic sense. Her mind also telekinetically moves those things, rather than move solid objects like Jean Grey. It would be nice if she was written as needing to be outside, or hindered by controlled atmospheres... or even boosted to perceive pressures, temp and electricity in liquids as well... for her psychic power to be truly elemental.

As a storm fan though, you do acknowledge she was always written as an energy manipulator though right? And how does her name define what her abilities are? You have shadowcat, psylocke, marvel girl, white queen, etc. A codename by no means should be the barometer by which a characters' powers operate.
    I feel she manipulates energy involving weather mot all energy as some like to believe. And those code names somewhat do fit. Kitty can phase as a shadow would and her name fits the cat part. Psylocke I always assume was psychic lock and she's a telepath. Marvel girl doesn't fit really but neither does captain marvel for Carol. White queen is more of a title than a code name.

....I wonder sometimes if the some posters actually believe what they are typing about their favorite character or if they are just using some highly advance form of trolling.

Anyway, I put she needs weather/atmosphere for her powers to work. Being a pure energy manipulator doesn't make sense to me in the context in which I have read it. And I have read a lot of X-Books (All of Claremonts runs included)
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    This is such a weird hill to choose to die on. Storm's powers are famous for being written to do all sorts of things her mutation cannot be described as capable of doing. I'm suspicious of your intent. Acknowledging her described mutation means hand-waving Storm's more inexplicable feats as the wankings of the author. Changing her powerset to the seemingly more accurate but less unique "energy manipulator" means a retcon of the public's understanding of the character. You might even be suggesting that Storm isn't a mutant at all, but a human avatar for a wind/storm goddess, which would fit and suit the feats, but would mean she's not a mutant in the vein that she's been commonly understood.

For me, I like the idea that she's an atmospheric psychokinetic... and presented with weaknesses that Claremont and others might not be keen to present. Her mind perceives things like gaseous pressures, humidity, temperature, and electrical current in a macroscopic sense. Her mind also telekinetically moves those things, rather than move solid objects like Jean Grey. It would be nice if she was written as needing to be outside, or hindered by controlled atmospheres... or even boosted to perceive pressures, temp and electricity in liquids as well... for her psychic power to be truly elemental.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The only one not associated with energies used for weather control is the Trion one. Even then you probably could categorize it under those energies too with some comic mumbo jumbo.
    How is manipulating the synapses in someone's brain associated with weather? Or shutting the the power to a space ship? These things are related to electrical flow inside the human body and the other inside mechanical/computerized parts. This has nothing to do with weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I feel she manipulates energy involving weather mot all energy as some like to believe. And those code names somewhat do fit. Kitty can phase as a shadow would and her name fits the cat part. Psylocke I always assume was psychic lock and she's a telepath. Marvel girl doesn't fit really but neither does captain marvel for Carol. White queen is more of a title than a code name.
    The names may have some association to their power but by no means does it define all of what the characters can do. Kitty can walk on air, psylocke can move things with her mind and create telekinetic objects. Their names don't talk to any of those abilities. I understand you feel a certain way but do you feelings align to what she has done in the comics. If her powers only involved weather, how do you explain her shutting down someones brain, or removing the air from their lungs, or creating electromagnetic pulses, or creating breathable oxygen underwater, or control solar winds in space where there is no atmosphere or weather?

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    ....I wonder sometimes if the some posters actually believe what they are typing about their favorite character or if they are just using some highly advance form of trolling.

Anyway, I put she needs weather/atmosphere for her powers to work. Being a pure energy manipulator doesn't make sense to me in the context in which I have read it. And I have read a lot of X-Books (All of Claremonts runs included)
    She has utilized her powers in space where there is not weather or an atmosphere. How you could be a self-professed claremont xbook reader when he was the one who established this. did you forget these encounters?:

ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

How is manipulating the synapses in someone's brain associated with weather? Or shutting the the power to a space ship? These things are related to electrical flow inside the human body and the other inside mechanical/computerized parts. This has nothing to do with weather.
    Easy. It's a fine tuned version of her lightning control and creative way to exploit that. If she can control lightning she can control electricity, manipulating the electrical impulses/ mechanical power sources is just an extension of that.
    Last edited by Crimz; 07-06-2018 at 05:11 PM.

Easy. It's a fine tuned version of her lightning control and creative way to exploit that. If she can control lightning it's not a stretch for her to control electricity, manipulating the electrical impulses/ mechanical power sources is an extension of that.
    this is great but that is still not weather. weather requires there to be an atmosphere, which refers to the gases that surround an earth or planet. her powers go beyond weather but to energy and how it functions.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

this is great but that is still not weather. weather requires there to be an atmosphere, which refers to the gases that surround an earth or planet. her powers go beyond weather but to energy and how it functions.
    I never said it didn't. I have said that the energy she manipulates is limited to energy associated with weather control. This definitely falls under that.

I never said it didn't. I have said that the energy she manipulates is limited to energy associated with weather control. This definitely falls under that.
    but how lightning is generated from the perspective of weather and it's interactions with the planet is totally different then the electrical flow associated with that of the brain and computerized parts. It's not a like for like thing. in fact this was explained a bit early on before she developed in her abilities:

Solar radiation in space has nothing to do with atmospheric energy displayed as a result of weather. Nor does her galatic core feat. Additionally, the energy that powered the skrull ship is alien, you are assuming that energy is based on the same forms of energy used to power ships on earth. Again, it goes beyond just weather hence why you see her manipulating energy not typically associated with that of weather.

And lastly, even if you are to ignore all of that the Trion feat, as you acknowledge, has nothing to do with the energy associated with weather so there is an instance that you would at least agree to that doesn't apply to energy associated with weather, which still supports my statement her abilities go to energy period, not just those associated with weather.
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 07-06-2018 at 06:06 PM.

but how lightning is generated from the perspective of weather and it's interactions with the planet is totally different then the electrical flow associated with that of the brain and computerized parts. It's not a like for like thing. Solar radiation in space has nothing to do with atmospheric energy displayed as a result of weather. Nor does her galatic core feat. Additionally, the energy that powered the skrull ship is alien, you are assuming that energy is based on the same forms of energy used to power ships on earth. Again, it goes beyond just weather hence why you see her manipulating energy not typically associated with that of weather.

And lastly, even if you are to ignore all of that the Trion feat, as you acknowledge, has nothing to do with the energy associated with weather so there is an instance that you would at least agree to that doesn't apply to energy associated with weather, which still supports my statement her abilities go to energy period, not just those associated with weather.
    It's not totally different, they are all electricity in various forms. How they are created is different but if she can control electricity itself then she can manipulate each of them.
    Solar radiation is mostly electromagnetic energy which also falls under her weather manipulation.
    The galactic core gives a variety of energy that it is easy to explain that she used those associated with her weather control (electromagnetic being the main one)
    Trion feat is also easy to explain, she healed it with energy under her control. Those energies being weather related does not diminish the feat.

Every feat she has done can under the energies associated with her weather control (which is still a lot). She does not have control over all energy.

It's not totally different, they are all electricity in various forms. How they are created is different but if she can control electricity itself then she can manipulate each of them.
    Solar radiation is mostly electromagnetic energy which also falls under her weather manipulation.
    The galactic core gives a variety of energy that it is easy to explain that she used those associated with her weather control (electromagnetic being the main one)
    Trion feat is also easy to explain, she healed it with energy under her control. Those energies being weather related does not diminish the feat.

Every feat she has done can under the energies associated with her weather control (which is still a lot). She does not have control over all energy.
    it is in terms of how they are controlled see the scan I posted above. and I never said she had control over all energy but the scans that talk to it diesnt limit it to just weather. I mentioned in the event she does control other forms it wouldnt be inconsistent with canon. and why do u keep citing em energy. her galactic core feat referred to living stars and their energies both spiritual and material in nature:
    Last edited by butterflykyss; 07-06-2018 at 06:18 PM.

it is in terms of how they are controlled see the scan I posted above. and I never said she had control over all energy but the scans that talk to it diesnt limit it to just weather. I mentioned in the event she does control other forms it wouldnt be inconsistent with canon.
    You've yet to provide any scans that have discredited what I have said. I have said nothing about atmosphere. Just that all her feats are an extension of the energies that fall under her weather control.

You've yet to provide any scans that have discredited what I have said. I have said nothing about atmosphere. Just that all her feats are an extension of the energies that fall under her weather control.
    her trion feat dealt with energy that has nothing to do with weather, her trion feet didnt solely contain energy associated with weather which mentions both material and spiritual aspects of energy, also her ability to manipulate unstable molecules to change her outfits. none of those are based in weather and goes to the fundamentals of her being able to manipulate energy.

Last edited by butterflykyss; 07-06-2018 at 06:27 PM.

It's late where I am I'll answer this later.

sounds good