View Poll Results: Do you believe Storm to be solely a weather manipulator?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes: she needs weather for her powers to work

64 57.14%
  • No: She percieves energy and her manipulation of this results in weather phenomenon

37 33.04%
  • I dont know.

11 9.82%
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

There was this whole era where writers were taking an existing power and saying, Well if they can do THIS, then they can do THAT. They took Scarlet Witch's hex from altering probabilities to, Well that must mean she is actually warping reality. While I applause the thoughtfulness, they just took it too far.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    There was this whole era where writers were taking an existing power and saying, Well if they can do THIS, then they can do THAT. They took Scarlet Witch's hex from altering probabilities to, Well that must mean she is actually warping reality. While I applause the thoughtfulness, they just took it too far.
    Here here!!
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

BANNED

I'm feeling that this isn't so much a thread about what canon is but about what canon ought to be, and the mass of scans aren't convincing arguments for people who think Storm's powers should be restricted to messing around with the weather...

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I'm feeling that this isn't so much a thread about what canon is but about what canon ought to be, and the mass of scans aren't convincing arguments for people who think Storm's powers should be restricted to messing around with the weather...
    More truth.
    Her name is Storm. She should manipulate the weather in creative ways, not possess vague cosmic level energy powers.
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    More truth.
    Her name is Storm. She should manipulate the weather in creative ways, not possess vague cosmic level energy powers.
    The problem is, her name is Storm and she has already shown vague cosmic levels of energy powers.

The galactic core feat puts her on a level few mutants in the universe could match.

Just because her name is Storm, doesn't mean her powers are limited to just weather manipulation. If she can rearrange the molecules of her clothing with a thought and control solar flares...then weather manipulation is just the tip of the iceberg when comes to her powers.

Step outside the box and think about what's she done over the years.

I'm not saying this as a Storm fan but as someone who seen Storm pull off some crazy shit...and think how is that weather related.
    Last edited by LordAllMIghty; 07-07-2018 at 05:20 AM.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordAllMIghty View Post
    The problem is, her name is Storm and she has already shown vague cosmic levels of energy powers.

The galactic core feat puts her on a level few mutants in the universe could match.

Just because her name is Storm, doesn't mean her powers are limited to just weather manipulation. If she can rearrange the molecules of her clothing with a thought and control solar flares...then weather manipulation is just the tip of the iceberg when comes to her powers.

I'm not saying this as a Storm fan but as someone who seen Storm pull off some crazy shit...and think how is that weather related.
    The bolded and similar 'cosmic' feats, while crazy cool and awesome, were "done in ones" and performed under extreme circumstances (and certainly not explained to any detailed degree of my satisfaction). They are not part of her regular repertoire.

While it speaks to her potential if she truly pushes herself beyond her limitations, because it is a singular occurrence, it certainly should not define how her powers intrinsically operate. Storm is no more "cosmic level" than let's say...Jean Grey without the Phoenix.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 07-07-2018 at 09:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    How is manipulating the synapses in someone's brain associated with weather? Or shutting the the power to a space ship? These things are related to electrical flow inside the human body and the other inside mechanical/computerized parts. This has nothing to do with weather.

The names may have some association to their power but by no means does it define all of what the characters can do. Kitty can walk on air, psylocke can move things with her mind and create telekinetic objects. Their names don't talk to any of those abilities. I understand you feel a certain way but do you feelings align to what she has done in the comics. If her powers only involved weather, how do you explain her shutting down someones brain, or removing the air from their lungs, or creating electromagnetic pulses, or creating breathable oxygen underwater, or control solar winds in space where there is no atmosphere or weather?

She has utilized her powers in space where there is not weather or an atmosphere. How you could be a self-professed claremont xbook reader when he was the one who established this. did you forget these encounters?:

This still goes along with what I and others have said. The only time she is able to manipulate “cosimic weather” is when she was in that enviroment. Her weather powers are linked to whatever enviroment she is in at a given time. This, in my opinion, does not make her a true energy manipulater but instead being a casualty to what she is already doing or trying to accomplish.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

BANNED

I agree with this statement. A small selection of Storms great feats aren’t weather related it really makes you think what else she can actually do.

Personally, I like Storm being a weather manipulator or if you must, someone who can manipulate + generate the planetary energies that are responsible for weather. It's such a cool and creative power and you can do so much with it. I'm not sure why there's a segment of Storm fans who want her to be this all singing all dancing all powerful supergod who can do anything; that's so boring and she's a great character with a great powerset as-is.

I wish writers were more creative with her powers because a lot of the time she's just someone who flies and shoots bolts of lightning but the shortcomings of the average writer don't necessitate her getting a ridiculous power boost to godhood. The way some of her fans talk you'd think she was Odin + The Phoenix + Jesus Christ + Dr. Strange or something. Characters need limitations.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    Personally, I like Storm being a weather manipulator or if you must, someone who can manipulate + generate the planetary energies that are responsible for weather. It's such a cool and creative power and you can do so much with it. I'm not sure why there's a segment of Storm fans who want her to be this all singing all dancing all powerful supergod who can do anything; that's so boring and she's a great character with a great powerset as-is.

I wish writers were more creative with her powers because a lot of the time she's just someone who flies and shoots bolts of lightning but the shortcomings of the average writer don't necessitate her getting a ridiculous power boost to godhood. The way some of her fans talk you'd think she was Odin + The Phoenix + Jesus Christ + Dr. Strange or something. Characters need limitations.
    She has a few panels that remind me of Jesus Christ

It really doesn't. The misinterpretations of that are utterly idiotic. The book shows Storm momentarily absorb some of the ambient galactic energy in order to kill herself, and based on that a few blind fanboys insist that she must therefore have total control over all cosmic energies.

We all have favourite heroes who have displayed power feats that make us cheer but should then make us scratch our heads, wonder WTF just happened, and realize the writers went too far or just screwed up.

"Remember that time regular Jean Grey opened a wormhole and flew through space, Steve?"
    "That was cool but so ridiculous, Roger!"
    "I know, right? Still love Jean, though."

Anyhoo... Back to other parts of the X-Forums. This argument will never end, and neither side will ever be convinced to see things the other way.

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post

Absolutely agree. I love the character, but only when she's humanized. I frankly think she needs far more limitations than she currently has, to be more interesting. Her being on a team shouldn't be a game ender, unless she's incapacitated. That's a lame writer's ploy.

I think they should take what makes sense with her power set and base more limitations around that. If you've ever played an RPG, something in those terms. If she's outside, in earth's atmosphere, she get + whatever to her attacks. If she's inside, in a normal structure no bonuses, just average. If she's underground, significant negative to attack power. If she's out of earth's atmosphere, even more negatives. She should have been utterly powerless in Hell, for example, though people complained about that.

The be-all, end-all goddess is something I find tedious to read about, and useless to be placed in a team environment.. That goes for any character on a team. Rachel was OTT in Excalibur, but that was mitigated by her own psychological hang-ups, and the weird interference of Widget, so it kept the rest of the team having a purpose. Jean, in perfect control of the PF would be equally as boring. Rogue in control of her powers I found to be dull. If Nightcrawler could teleport anywhere without coordinates, visual or a memory of the place, that would be boring, as well.

I really don't get the mentality of wanting Storm to be all powerful, at all. The more powerful she's written, the less writers want to use her, then her fan base complains because she isn't used.
    Last edited by Sundowhn; 07-07-2018 at 12:43 PM.

Let's not forget that for a significant amount of time, Storm had no powers and STILL led the X-Men. Part of the reason I'm FOR limitations and a stricter display and use of her elemental powers is so that she can showcase her thief, hand-to-hand, and tactical leadership skills... without making her a deus ex machina.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowhn View Post
    Absolutely agree. I love the character, but only when she's humanized. I frankly think she needs far more limitations than she currently has, to be more interesting. Her being on a team shouldn't be a game ender, unless she's incapacitated. That's a lame writer's ploy.

I think they should take what makes sense with her power set and base more limitations around that. If you've ever played an RPG, something in those terms. If she's outside, in earth's atmosphere, she get + whatever to her attacks. If she's inside, in a normal structure no bonuses, just average. If she's underground, significant negative to attack power. If she's out of earth's atmosphere, even more negatives. She should have been utterly powerless in Hell, for example, though people complained about that.

The be-all, end-all goddess is something I find tedious to read about, and useless to be placed in a team environment.. That goes for any character on a team. Rachel was OTT in Excalibur, but that was mitigated by her own psychological hang-ups, and the weird interference of Widget, so it kept the rest of the team having a purpose. Jean, in perfect control of the PF would be equally as boring. Rogue in control of her powers I found to be dull. If Nightcrawler could teleport anywhere without coordinates, visual or a memory of the place, that would be boring, as well.

I really don't get the mentality of wanting Storm to be all powerful, at all. The more powerful she's written, the less writers want to use her, then her fan base complains because she isn't used.

Exactly! The only thing I don't agree with is Rogue having control of her powers being boring. I thought that was an exciting new direction for the character and was eager to see what they'd do with it but alas, status quo is God so of course she lost it again. It'd be cool if they stuck to Rogue having situational or limited control of her abilities with concentration and focus so that it's not just a presto change-o difference and you could still keep elements of the "ah cain't touch nobody" aspect of her personality, toned down a bit.
    Last edited by davetvs; 07-07-2018 at 01:10 PM.