Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I have said for years DC should role all these groups under one title with each branch dealing with one specific specialty. Put them all under the DEO with the head of each dept making up the governing council. There would be one person who the council reported to and they would be the head of the DEO who would report directly to the president.
    Honestly need only three.

Checkmate
    S.T.A.R Labs
    Task Force X

The others are pointless or just combine them into one faction.

Actually the Flash stuff and say Batman and Green Lantern is different the flash stuff is an explanation. Why do DC heroes have powers the can tap into these forces. It isn't watering down a concept it just fleshing out a concepts that already exists if someone is superstrong they are tapping into the strength force or whatever it is called .

They don't have create heroes just tie the existing ones.It isn't creating a million new lantern heroes and villians.It is interesting way explaining maybe when car crushes kid and mom lifts a heavy car she is tapping into the strength force.

We didn't really need it but I don't see whole bunch of new characters popping up just existing characters being using slightly different.

I don't really like all the Lanterns. Not because it's a bad concept, but because the Lanterns have taken over DC's cosmic corner at the expense of Omega Men, Darkstars, LEGION, REBELS, Adam Strange, and whatever Thanagarian is Hawkman.
    It's like if Marvel's Nova Corps took over and Silver Surfer, the Guardians, Starjammers, Imperial Guard, and the other Heralds of Galactus were simply ignored because there's now a zillion Novas out there.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I don't really like all the Lanterns. Not because it's a bad concept, but because the Lanterns have taken over DC's cosmic corner at the expense of Omega Men, Darkstars, LEGION, REBELS, Adam Strange, and whatever Thanagarian is Hawkman.
    It's like if Marvel's Nova Corps took over and Silver Surfer, the Guardians, Starjammers, Imperial Guard, and the other Heralds of Galactus were simply ignored because there's now a zillion Novas out there.
    It sounds like you want another spectrum. Don't worry, DC delivered.

Mighty Member

I never understood the argument of a superhero universe having too much of anything. These new concepts don't negate the old ones at all. To me, it just makes the sandbox so much bigger.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Is anyone here starting to get tired of all of the new forces and corps that they keep creating? I love Green Lantern, and I loved the multitudes of different Corps they created. I thought it was a nice expansion of the mythos to have a Yellow Lantern Corps, or Red, Blue, and Violet. But now we got an UV Corps, and it feels like they are just recycling the same idea again and again.

Same thing over in The Flash. The Speed force has been established for years. But now we have the Still force, and the Power force... what's next, the facial hair force?
    My short answer is "yes." Sinestro Corps was a neat idea. For one story arc. After that, it's "lets see how much milk that cow's got."

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    How did you get that out of their post?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    How did you get that out of their post?
    It was sarcasm. Apologies if that wasn't made clear enough.

Spectacular Member

I seriously have no issue with the Strength, Sage and Still Force....it's nothing different than what Geoff John's did with the Emotional Spectrum. And nothing different than when Mark Waid created the Speed Force to explain the power the speedsters possess. I am looking forward to what they are going to do with it. New ideas and new stories are not a problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    I thought this thread was about the agencies on Earth.

S.T.A.R. Labs

A.R.G.U.S.

S.H.A.D.E.

D.E.O.

Cadmus

Checkmate

Task Force X

So may of these now. X_X
    i thought so too...

and was wondering what happened to checkmate?

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    i thought so too...

and was wondering what happened to checkmate?
    I surmised it was supplanted by ARGUS when the New 52 took off. Checkmate and ARGUS are indistinguishable in what they do. Amanda Waller once ran Checkmate and Task Force X. In the New 52 she was head of ARGUS.

Granted, when DC was still using Maxwell Lord in the early New 52 days, Checkmate was around.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    That’s what I thought but then where do the rest fit in? Frankly I’d make Waller the director of ARGUS, under the authority of the DEO which has a Secretary that answers to the President. Cadmus would be the unethical research wing of ARGUS, Task Force X under ARGUS supervision, Checkmate the division of ARGUS responsible for Crisis-tier situations. That way ARGUS has more of a Presence because right now they do jack.
    I like that.

I'd say that Cadmus shouldn't be a US government organization. It should be a lot of tech billionaires and genetic researchers. Lots of unethical, super rich types.

This way you can have lots of weird stuff happening off the books, the Feds trying to investigate, Superman getting involved when people are missing, etc.

Checkmate should be a branch of Homeland security. Like a weird fraternity within Homeland.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-09-2018 at 03:21 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    That’s what I thought but then where do the rest fit in? Frankly I’d make Waller the director of ARGUS, under the authority of the DEO which has a Secretary that answers to the President. Cadmus would be the unethical research wing of ARGUS, Task Force X under ARGUS supervision, Checkmate the division of ARGUS responsible for Crisis-tier situations. That way ARGUS has more of a Presence because right now they do jack.
    I think Waller would work better as the head of Checkmate if you wanted to make Task Force X a branch of that. Given a choice I think I would like Mister Bones as the head of ARGUS. He was the head of the DEO itself for a long time so being the head of ARGUS makes sense.

I think it's very possible to have too many variations on a theme, but it often comes down to execution.

I think, as long as there's room in the cosmology, and as long as it makes some kind of comic book-y sense, it should be okay.

I think of the speed force as being the source of kinetic energy. And Flashes tap into a deeper, primal, ultra-natural form of that prevalent universal-multiversal force. It's little different than considering the root source of gravity. And if we can accept the theories that suggest a counter-force to gravity exists (and in comics any scientific theory is at least semi viable) then I suppose a force could exist that counters and balances kinetic energy. So I suppose I can't really argue with the idea of a still force.

Likewise, the emotional spectrum felt like a natural outgrowth and addition to the Lantern mythos. This new spectrum.....it's too early to tell yet but it comes from beyond the Source Wall so I'm inclined to accept it (so far), since "beyond the Wall" is a whole new cosmology we know almost nothing about.

I think the universe is balanced, as as long as the DC cosmology is balanced and not full of contradicting, overlapping concepts, I'm willing to roll with just about anything.

As far as the intelligence communities in the DCU go....yeah, that's a poorly defined corner of the DCU that I've wanted to see worked on and improved for some time now. I have no major problem with agencies that overlap or are partially redundant, since it's government and that's what they do best (nations aren't built as cleanly or precisely as nature). But each agency definitely needs to be better, more consistently defined. Like, if my neighbor is homo magi, do I call Argus, the DEO, or the FBI? Which agencies have authority where? What's the jurisdiction for Task Force X v. Argus? Who answers what calls? Does Task Force X belong to a particular branch? If so, which one? Is it part of the DoJ? Army? CIA? Does it stand on its own as a individual wetworks program?

I have my own way I'd break things down, but my personal ideas and preferences don't matter as much as just having all the "spy/government" stuff established with the same attention to detail we see in other corners of the DCU.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Ugh.
    Maybe DC's getting things ready for a 'Mutant Massacre' for the Lanterns.
    I mean... they have no qualms over killing off much more interesting characters, so why not?

And don't worry, I caught the sarcasm.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.