Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    death threats from comic book fans. comic book fans
    Surprised?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    I think that generalizing a status quo as inherently better that the other one is why i disagree the most in these discussions.
    Indeed. Personally i'm tired of Peter going nowhere. I mean, he has roommates now.

Roommates for fck sakes, like some 18 something years old first year college student. Has comics ever known an even bigger loser?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Indeed. Personally i'm tired of Peter going nowhere. I mean, he has roommates now.

Roommates for fck sakes, like some 18 something years old first year college student. Has comics ever known an even bigger loser?
    When people complain about Peter Parker being a loser, it seems like they're kind of completely missing the point of the character.

Yes, he is the biggest loser in comics. That's what his appeal was based on, that he faced failure on a regular basis and was not a hero who had all the luck and all the answers. Life is continually dumping on him, both in his civilian and his costumed life. It's the fact that he perseveres through that is what makes him heroic and relatable.

If his life stops being a roller coaster of ups and downs, then it isn't being true to the character.

Also, saying that someone is a loser because they have roommates sounds like a complaint that someone who hasn't spent much time living on their own would say.

Roommates is something exclusive to 18 year old first year college students? No, not even close. And in a big city with sky high rent like NYC? More people have roommates, and continue to have them, at an older age than you think. Mid to late twenties is not an unusual age for someone to still have roommates, especially in the city.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    Yes, he is the biggest loser in comics. That's what his appeal was based on.

I certainly didn't get into him based off those reasons.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-20-2018 at 07:53 AM.

World of difference between "guy who has the same life problems as the average person" and a "looser."
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

When people complain about Peter Parker being a loser, it seems like they're kind of completely missing the point of the character.

Yes, he is the biggest loser in comics. That's what his appeal was based on, that he faced failure on a regular basis and was not a hero who had all the luck and all the answers. Life is continually dumping on him, both in his civilian and his costumed life. It's the fact that he perseveres through that is what makes him heroic and relatable.

If his life stops being a roller coaster of ups and downs, then it isn't being true to the character.

Also, saying that someone is a loser because they have roommates sounds like a complaint that someone who hasn't spent much time living on their own would say.

Roommates is something exclusive to 18 year old first year college students? No, not even close. And in a big city with sky high rent like NYC? More people have roommates, and continue to have them, at an older age than you think. Mid to late twenties is not an unusual age for someone to still have roommates, especially in the city.
    Thank you for mentioning that.

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

I heard about what King did with Batman. Although that isn’t a Deus Ex Machina like OMD, and you do have Dark Knight Rises if you really want Bruce and Selina together.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I certainly didn't get into him based off those reasons.
    What made Peter Parker and Spider-Man unique from the start is his problems, his real life foibles and insecurities and his ability to be knocked down - both in and out of costume - and get back up again.

I'm sure there's some fans who got into him simply because he has a cool costume and awesome powers. That's fine.

But for someone to chastise writers for portraying Peter as a "loser" seems to be completely missing the point of the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    World of difference between "guy who has the same life problems as the average person" and a "looser."
    Saying that having roommates is enough to make someone a loser is saying that people with the same everyday life problems as most people are losers.

Mid to late twenties is not an unusual age for someone to still have roommates, especially in the city.
    If you're in your late twenties and still have to share a place with roommates, sorry, but you really need to re-think quite a lot of things about your life.

Maybe it's your case and then i'm sorry if it's a delicate subject for you but no, there is nothing normal about a 26-28 years old guys not making at least enough money for living by its own. Even in a small place.

By that age you're supposed to have accomplished at least a little in your life.

BANNED

If you're in your late twenties and still have to share a place with roommates, sorry, but you really need to re-think quite a lot of things about your life.

Maybe it's your case and then i'm sorry if it's a delicate subject for you but no, there is nothing normal about a 26-28 years old guys not making at least enough money for living by its own. Even in a small place.

By that age you're supposed to have accomplished at least a little in your life.
    No, I'm 49 and the only people I share a place with are my wife and son.

But thinking that anyone in their late 20s is a failure for having roommates is ridiculous and not true to life.

And Peter has accomplished quite a bit in his life. The fact that he's having a setback at the moment doesn't make him a loser.

If you think it does and you're that judgy about people, Peter Parker doesn't seem like a character you would relate to.

I think this is wrong for a variety of reasons. Real estate prices do differ around the United States, to say nothing of around the world, so what is reasonable around one location is not reasonable elsewhere (you're more likely to need a roommate in New York City, for example, because it costs much more to get a small place.)

There are also academic programs that take years. Someone can be in their late 20s and not finished with Med School, Law School, or a PHD program. They're on track to be successful eventually, but nowhere near their peak earning power.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    and you do have Dark Knight Rises if you really want Bruce and Selina together.
    ....Five whole seconds of an ambiguous ending means jack squat and you know it.

You could have just used King's 2017 annual as a better example of just how inevitable the Bat-Marriage will be down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I'm picturing Peter opening up all the cages at the zoo.

Costs of living in California are so high that in some areas you need roommates even if you make a good salary. Even most married couples are double income now. There might still be some stigma to a late 20s person having roommates, but I doubt it comes from their peers.

Anyway, Peter seems to have willingly put himself in this situation to keep an eye on Boomerang.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.