Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

In another discussion, Mel Dyer brought up using characters that had back up stories in the original Sensation Comics.

I quite like that idea and his suggestion of using Sargon the Sorcerer kind of threw my a wrench in my plans to have Extraño live in Diana's city.

Now I'm considering both, in that they could each use or specialize in different types of magic and have a friends or friendly rivalry. Obviously they're very different type of people and personalities, so that might work out in an interesting way. (And yes, I know there was a new Sargonna the Sorceress introduced at some point in the DCnU.)

He also mentioned a character called Lady Danger who was a journalist. She wasn't a masked crime fighter, but I might make her one. She might be fun to play around with in juxtaposition to Clark Kent/Superman and Peter Parker/Spider-man types. Diana's city is going to need the presence of a few types of media and she could work for one of them.

There were also a couple of ghost characters, the Black Pirate and the Gay Ghost. The former from the 1500s and the latter from the 1700s. The latter could inhabit bodies like Deadman. I might make the former be able to do that too. It's an "Odd Couple" Quartet in the making if you follow the spectres and their human hosts.

Mighty Member

Well Gateway City had the Spectre, but i think Etrigan, Zatanna or Raven would be cool(fit also with the JL Dark).

Spectacular Member

I love a lot of the ideas in this thread, especially Jason Blood/Etrigan. Another character I think would be cool and is underutilized is Skyrocket.

I mean if Gateway City was written to included mystical and maybe aliens it would be cool to see some of the villains and heroes living close by.

Personally im not in the camp of giving Wonder Woman a singular city to operate out of. Between Washington DC, New York City, Houston, London, Athens, Gateway, shes had more than a fair share of cities to call her own over the years. Plus more than any of the other big DC heroes, she has a long history of traveling about to other places with most of her crime fighting being more international or even interstellar and even interdimensional.

That said, there are some heroes I would tie to Diana. Establishing specific heroes themselves having their own cities to grow their own villains and rogues. By tying them to Diana it would allow the use of Wonder Womans rather unconnected rogues gallery for these heroes and allow them to grow. Simulatiously establishing Wonder Woman as an international hero who travels about while also tying a collection of specific cities to Wonder Woman as she would regularly visit these places due to these supporting heroes she likes to work with.

For example id want to put Cassie in Gateway City. She would be a singular hero responsible for protecting this specific city, and Wonder Woman would regularly pop over to check in on her and help show her the ropes. It would make the city a 'Wonder city' and give it a superhero without chaining Diana to it specifically.
    Donna id want to stick in New York, perhaps even tie her to the U.N.

As for what heroes aside from the obvious choices of Donna, Cassie, Etta Candy, and Artemis.....

I really want to bring back Queen Astra as Wonder Tot. Make her an interstellar hero to children everywhere who will come to Wonder Womans rescue when the need arises.

Princess Amethyst of Gem World is a hero who I think would really make sense to connect to Wonder Woman. Shes a princess of a magical kingdom who I can easily see Wonder Woman taking under her wing and doing what she can to help Amethyst find her footing and stand on her own.

Kimiyo Hoshi Doctor Light is a science hero whose a single mother of two. She has alot of qualities which would make her an interesting character to bounce off of Wonder Woman and if she was tied to Diana I could see her unique background and character being explored in interesting ways. Heck, given how Japans the second most superhero populated country in the DC universe theres doubtless several stories to tell if Wonder Woman decided to stick around a while. Plus it would just be nice to give Diana some science buddies.

The Movement. It was a short lived team of heroes based out of Coral city who were trying to start a social movement of superheroism out of youths in order to make a difference in the world. Perhaps not the most obvious choice to add to Wonder Womans cast of heroes, but so much of Wonder Womans history has involved this sort of thing that it would be kinda interesting to see.

Rose Psychic leans on the more magical side of things and until recently she wouldn't have had alot to bring to the table but with that Mystik U book...Well Wonder Woman has had a history of being tied to education and it would be interesting to see her trying to do what she could to help spread learning.

Equinox. The superhero of Canada. She had alot of interesting potential and when she was created it seemed like she would play a major part in things. Despite that though, shes been pretty much forgotten. I can see Wonder Woman standing by her.

Red Tornado. The original one. Ma Hunkel would be awesome to see with Wonder Woman. Likewise her grandaughter Cyclone.

Beyond that...It becomes a bit more muddled.
    I mean an obvious approach might be to toss in some of the characters Wonder Woman shared Sensation Comics with, though some are harder to use than others.

For example Wildcat is hard to really picture as a supporting character, Ted Grant being who he is. Though there was another Wildcat by the name of Yolenda Montez who brings with her some possibilities.

Little Boy Blue, the Blue Boys, and Little Miss Redhead....I confess im not sure what one would do with this lot of children who fight crime. Im sure something could be worked out though.

Mister Terrific...Maybe?

Black Pirate would be interesting if a means could be worked out to make him work. I mean he was a pirate from a series of period piece stories which were honestly quite good. That said theres an emphasis on period piece...

Gay Ghost the ghost which hides in the closet of history~ Id honestly make him queer and just keep him around to help fight crime.

Sargon I would actually stick in with Mystik U if I could.

And then theres the even more obscure characters like Pat Windsor, Ann Martin, Lady Danger, Astra girl of the future, Johnny Peril....

Theres alot of possibilities out there.

Well, my Gatewaya idea is i not a single city. Rather a actually Gateway. That it’s linked to anywhere in the world. Diana lives in gateway but you don’t know where she is. She can travel to any where in the world yet still be in gateway

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Well, my Gatewaya idea is i not a single city. Rather a actually Gateway. That it’s linked to anywhere in the world. Diana lives in gateway but you don’t know where she is. She can travel to any where in the world yet still be in gateway
    Oooo, I like this idea. ^^

Oh and other heroes that one might as well toss in.
    Aristedes Demetrios, the original Olympian
    Helena Kosmatos, that Fury they retconned into existence to change Lyta Trevors parentage
    That one demi god from London that popped up in Azarellos run whose name escapes me
    Ice Maiden. A bisexual scientist with ice powers. Whats not to love?
    Achilles Warkiller because why not?
    Extrano and Tasmanian Devil because a happily married gay couple with a well adjusted life is a nice treat to see.
    Betty Clawman. A bit of an odd hero, but an astral psychic would be able to tie in some of Wonder Womans more astral concepts in an interesting way.

Honestly most of the New Guardians and Global Guardians are essentially driftless and could work in one form or another.

My ideal for ARGUS also has some metahuman scientists and researchers working there and for it to be headquartered in Diana's city. I'd probably include Kimiyo Hoshi/Doctor Light as staff and have her live in the city.

Like any iconic city, Diana's should set the mood - the iconic, thematic tone - for her adventures, ..even if she's not there much. Even if she's off, liberating another dimension.

I imagine Diana's city as having the sort of comically bizarre atmosphere of the Men In Black movies. It's a place where supernatural beings - aliens, witches, demons, extra-dimensionals - have come to hang out, breed, retire and plot world domination, ..and that's why ARGUS should be smack in the middle of it. Maybe, there's an actual gateway in the city, somewhere, that's belching out weirdness, all the time.

I also think Diana's city could also reintroduce some of the more enigmatic Sensation Comics characters.

Wonder Woman is an immortal, mythical Amazon, who hangs out with Venusian nobility, Minotaurs, gods ..and flies around in an Invisible Plane. I think she fits right in, with characters, like Sargon the Sorcerer, the Gay Ghost and the Spectre. I would love to see a Wonder Family, with Donna, Etta, Hercules, Wildcat, Sargon the Sorcerer AND Mister Terrific!

Again, ..I think the city should just set a tone.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Yea like an ancient building yet are mixed with alien tech or ancient buildings yet have a mix of modern tech

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    In another discussion, Mel Dyer brought up using characters that had back up stories in the original Sensation Comics.
    The original Mister Terrific debuted in Sensation Comics. I know he's got his own thing going at the moment, but the current one (Michael Holt) would make a nice contrast with Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    . . . I also think there's a lot of interesting avenues to explore with the Freedom Fighters. Diana and Uncle Sam would make for an interesting dynamic . . .
    I wouln't mind Diana with the ORIGINAL Freedom Fighters again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Like any iconic city, Diana's should set the mood - the iconic, thematic tone - for her adventures, ..even if she's not there much. Even if she's off, liberating another dimension.

I imagine Diana's city as having the sort of comically bizarre atmosphere of the Men In Black movies. It's a place where supernatural beings - aliens, witches, demons, extra-dimensionals - have come to hang out, breed, retire and plot world domination, ..and that's why ARGUS should be smack in the middle of it. Maybe, there's an actual gateway in the city, somewhere, that's belching out weirdness, all the time.

I also think Diana's city could also reintroduce some of the more enigmatic Sensation Comics characters.

Wonder Woman is an immortal, mythical Amazon, who hangs out with Venusian nobility, Minotaurs, gods ..and flies around in an Invisible Plane. I think she fits right in, with characters, like Sargon the Sorcerer, the Gay Ghost and the Spectre. I would love to see a Wonder Family, with Donna, Etta, Hercules, Wildcat, Sargon the Sorcerer AND Mister Terrific!

Again, ..I think the city should just set a tone.
    Absolutely with you on the city setting a tone that resonates with the character (and sometimes has supporting characters that juxtapose the vibe, because: conflict and drama.)

In a way, I think having ARGUS headquarters stationed in her city helps promote the mystic vibe (Black Room) and introduce the tech/sci-fi (Red Room) along with all the different types of companies that are in the city - Empire Industries, etc.
    Last edited by WonderScott; 07-06-2018 at 09:47 AM.

The army of superheroes that fills Wonder Woman's home city was, for me, a big part of the whole "home city" debate and discussion. If you're going to give her a city, you need to consider all the various locations, persons, and activities that reflect Diana's themes. For me, it was always clear: it's hella liberal, multicultural, magical, educational, experimental, and friendly. I've gone on at length about the various economic boroughs that comprise "Gateway City" or my chosen name for it: San Entrada, but what were's talking about today is the people... Not JUST Diana's "supporting cast", but heroes who are her neighbors and colleagues.

In my headfanon, I've relocated the traditional Hall of Justice to WW's city, and opened it to the public. It's not a League headquarters so much as the public face of the superhero community. To that end, the HoJ is run like a nonprofit, with a museum, meet and greets, and offices for various well-known persons. They also feature staged "battles" where an actor villain is repelled by an actor hero... similar to the scripted events at most theme parks. Kate Spencer would be overworked defending the actions of HoJ-affiliated agents.
    Susan Dearborn Dibny, Director of Operations
    Myndi Mayer, Director of Communications
    Trevor Barnes, Director of Benevolence
    Ferdinand, Refugee Services
    Hephaestus, Research & Development
    Kate Spencer Manhunter, Legal Counsel
    Carl Bork, Security
    Daniel Tsang Striker Z, Public Relations

Diana is also involved with the creation of a school for gifted youngsters, circumventing villainous behavior by instilling Amazonian ideals in metahuman youth. Several young metahumans and heroes attend the school, so having indestructible superhumans and headstrong vigilante teachers is important. Putting Huntress so far from Gotham gives her a new playground and new circumstances that would help differentiate her from the rest of the Bat cast.
    Jefferson Pierce Black Lightning, Principal
    Alix Harrower Bulleteer
    Helena Bertinelli Huntress

The Holloway House is the dormitory for young women who attend the superhuman academy, though some are fortunate enough to live at home. Invariably though, cliques form to create rivalries and lasting friendships. Jennifer Pierce would love to just belong, but her father being Principal makes it tough. The Mean Girls won't take her, and the Bad Girls are trouble, so it's up to the leadership of new human heroine Cassandra Sandmark to challenge the status quo.
    Cassandra Sandmark Wonder Girl
    Anita Fite Empress
    Greta Hayes Secret
    Courtney Whitmore Stargirl
    Maxine Hunkel Cyclone
    Kiran Singh Solstice
    Lori Zechlin Black Alice

"Bad girl" Lori Zechlin earns her scholarship by being mentored by Witchfire, who works at Cassandra Craft's downtown Instant Karma magic shop. Witchfire understands how hard it is to be a young, empowered metahuman, and struggles to keep Black Alice in check.
    Cassandra Craft
    Rebecca Carstairs Witchfire
    Lori Zechlin Black Alice

Still, problems arise that mentors and heroes can't get to, which requires the local Police Department, filled with names we know. There's even a squad of rapid deploy officers trained for horseback combat on Pegasus. Diana is dating the flight leader for the Pegasus team.
    Commissioner Michael Schorr
    Detective Crispus Allen Spectre
    Detective Ralph Dibny Elongated Man

International metahuman concerns are monitored at the top secret ARGUS base also hidden in the city. Steve Trevor leads a clandestine team of reconnaissance, rescue, and retrieval operatives at ARGUS, utilizing invisble jet technology derived from Blackhawk engineering and Olympian craftsmanship.
    Etta Candy, Oddfellows Coordinator
    Steve Trevor Prince Oddfellows Covert Team Leader
    Celia Forrestal Skyrocket, Oddfellows Tactical

Star Labs West, a division of Star Labs is situated on the city bay, where research is led by Doctor Ray Palmer, and his assistants.
    Ryan Choi Atom
    Doris Zeul Giganta

Lastly, the city's mythological district is patrolled in accordance with divine law, as a council of selected deities maintain the peace. These are all immigrant thunder gods from around the world.
    Tlaloc of Mexico
    Donar of Germany
    Chango of Nigeria
    Leishen of China

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Absolutely with you on the city setting a tone that resonates with the character (and sometimes has supporting characters that juxtapose the vibe, because: conflict and drama.)

In a way, I think having ARGUS headquarters stationed in her city helps promote the mystic vibe (Black Room) and introduce the tech/sci-fi (Red Room) along with all the different types of companies that are in the city - Empire Industries, etc.
    'X-Files City' is the idea that I've had. What kind of superheroes would live there?

With Sargon, Gay Ghost and Queen Desira, alone, ..you have a sorcerer, an apparition and an alien. I try to imagine a city, where that's normal, ..spurring the U.S. government to monitor it with a military intelligence agency, as seen in The X-Files or Men In Black, ..so monumental that it's practically ridiculous. Put all that together, and I think it would be sort of quirky, and that the superheroes, who lived in such a place, would also have to be a little quirky, ..in a Marstonian sort of way.

Both Etta Candys, modern and Golden Age, would be NORMAL in this town, ..which seems virtually impossible to me. I am still not entirely convinced she was born on Earth, of two human parents. Show me the evidence!

I imagine being a kid in this city and asking my parents, "Is everyone here a ghost or an alien?" I can also imagine passing through, seeing Diana, Ferdinand and the Spectre sitting at a sidewalk café. Since Diana's city would be the DCU's Capital of Weird, a literal city of Wonders, populating it with a mix of Wonder-mythos players and Sensation Comics heroes ..makes sense, I think.

Donna Troy
    Artemis
    Queen Desira
    I Ching
    Wonder Girl
    Hercules
    Golden Age Fury
    Sargon the Sorcerer
    Gay Ghost
    Mister Terrific
    Wildcat
    Astra, Girl of the Future
    Hop Harrigan
    Lady Danger

Let me add that I'm hearing our fellow fans calling for Diana's city to be a diverse city, in every way, ..and it should be. I don't think changing the Gay Ghost's LI from Deborah to 'Desmond' or 'Dorian' should be too much of a problem, ..and I'm loving all of the Astra GOTF clips I'm reading, online...my new, guilty pleasure! [LOL] THANKS, Mizuno!
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 07-06-2018 at 12:38 PM.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!