Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Question If You Wrote Comics: Ant-Man and the Wasp

In honour of the sequel to Ant-Man and Hope Van Dyne's debut as the Wasp I decided to pull the trigger. So once again welcome to another If You Wrote Comics thread. As always just imagine if Marvel gave you full control over Ant-Man and the Wasp, as well as their supporting cast and rogues gallery (if they have any of those) and anyone connected to them like Stature and the rest. And it doesn't matter if it's Scott Lang or Hank Pym, Janet Van Dyne or Nadia Van Dyne-Pym everyone is free to pick anyone. As always let loose, live, and enjoy and maybe find a new direction for them that will give them new life..
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 07-06-2018 at 10:59 PM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I’d have a team comic with all the surviving size-changers including Hank, Janet, Scott, Nadia, Eric, Cassie, Ben Foster and the like. Eric would come back as a human with some injuries from the Secret Avengers run and return to his lovable jerk self whilst his more evil LMD counterpart Black Ant would be more of a loose cannon, neither hero or villain. The book would be about family as well with Hank and Janet finally giving the wife beater stick some much needed closure, Hank’s relationship with Nadia and Scott’s with Cassie.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I’d have a team comic with all the surviving size-changers including Hank, Janet, Scott, Nadia, Eric, Cassie, Ben Foster and the like. Eric would come back as a human with some injuries from the Secret Avengers run and return to his lovable jerk self whilst his more evil LMD counterpart Black Ant would be more of a loose cannon, neither hero or villain. The book would be about family as well with Hank and Janet finally giving the wife beater stick some much needed closure, Hank’s relationship with Nadia and Scott’s with Cassie.
    Good idea! The wife beater thing is a dead horse that has been beaten to death and now the only thing Hank is known for other than creating Ultron no one's really told any positive stories that try and fix Hank's reputation and his and Janet's relationship ever.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Good idea! The wife beater thing is a dead horse that has been beaten to death and now the only thing Hank is known for other than creating Ultron no one's really told any positive stories that try and fix Hank's reputation and his and Janet's relationship ever.
    Exactly, I think at this point with Hank as a positive figure in the MCU it’s time for him and Janet to have an issue of a comic where they sit down and either try to have a relationship where both parties accept what happened was tragic but long enough ago that they have suffered over it enough, or accept both have moved on romantically and they can become good friends whilst forgiving is accepted. One way of doing that would be having their ‘daughter’ Nadia as a mediator of sorts, possibly others. But however things resolve, Marvel STICKS to it.

Exactly, I think at this point with Hank as a positive figure in the MCU it’s time for him and Janet to have an issue of a comic where they sit down and either try to have a relationship where both parties accept what happened was tragic but long enough ago that they have suffered over it enough, or accept both have moved on romantically and they can become good friends whilst forgiving is accepted. One way of doing that would be having their ‘daughter’ Nadia as a mediator of sorts, possibly others. But however things resolve, Marvel STICKS to it.
    That is indeed a challenge for Marvel to not simply regress the development of their characters just because they seem stuck as to what new stories they want to tell about them. Marvel should hire you to do an Ant-Man and Wasp solo because either Hank and Janet reconcile or remain good friends is a good idea. Thugh i don't know I kind of like Black Ant's current status as Taskmaster's partner in crime.

Love the idea of having all the Pym Particles users in one book, and love the idea of the story being family-driven (with Hank-Jan-Nadia, and Scott-Cassie). Also love the idea of having Eric coming back flesh and blood and not a LMD. He's kind of a jerk, but one that we love to hate. He's too much of an interesting character to keep him on the side.

As for what I have quoted, it has been done a good fifteen years ago, and it was called "Ultron Unlimited" by Kurt Busiek, during his Avengers run, and later on in an Avengers Annual (forgot which one it was). The idea that Hank and Jan are not on speaking terms nowadays, and furthermore because of the infamous slap, is just a false assumption. Yes they did separate on rather bad terms after Disassembled, but it had nothing to do with their first separation, and then Hank got captured and replaced by a Skrull, and just when he got back Jan disappeared into the Microverse. Since she came back, we haven't seen them interact much (except when he went to rescue her in the Microverse, and then in RoU) but they seem pretty good with each other.

All in all, it has been resolved many years ago, and the writers (or readers) who keep bringing that up are mistaken.
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

The problem is that Hank & Jan HAVE talked it out... multiple times. And Hank has owned up to his actions… multiple times.

But in the eyes of a chunk of the readership, none of that matters. The idea that he's "a wife beater" has become so ingrained in the fan consciousness that nobody remembers anything that came afterwards. And if they do, they don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    Love the idea of having all the Pym Particles users in one book, and love the idea of the story being family-driven (with Hank-Jan-Nadia, and Scott-Cassie). Also love the idea of having Eric coming back flesh and blood and not a LMD. He's kind of a jerk, but one that we love to hate. He's too much of an interesting character to keep him on the side.

As for what I have quoted, it has been done a good fifteen years ago, and it was called "Ultron Unlimited" by Kurt Busiek, during his Avengers run, and later on in an Avengers Annual (forgot which one it was). The idea that Hank and Jan are not on speaking terms nowadays, and furthermore because of the infamous slap, is just a false assumption. Yes they did separate on rather bad terms after Disassembled, but it had nothing to do with their first separation, and then Hank got captured and replaced by a Skrull, and just when he got back Jan disappeared into the Microverse. Since she came back, we haven't seen them interact much (except when he went to rescue her in the Microverse, and then in RoU) but they seem pretty good with each other.

All in all, it has been resolved many years ago, and the writers (or readers) who keep bringing that up are mistaken.
    I guess we were mistaken it will be a while before Hank and Janet ever get tings right over Disassembled what caused them to separate in Disassembled anyway? And you can thank the writer of Unstoppable Wasp for bringing that up instead of what happened in Disassembled.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I would want to do something outside of continuity: The Life and Times of Ant-Man and the Wasp

- Hank and Janet are active superheroes up until Hawkeye and T'Challa join the team then they retire after a fight with the Masters of Evil and the Giant Man and Wasp identities are passed on to Bill Foster and Rita.
    - Hank and Janet come back to help the original Avengers and Cap America fight evil android versions of themselves. The android versions of Hank and Janet survive and re-christen themselves as Ultron and Jocasta
    - Bill and Rita retire; Clint and Bobbi become Goliath and Wasp.
    - Hank encounter with Scott Lang still occurs; Lang becomes Ant-Man
    - Ultron and Jocasta return to assault the Avengers with their "offspring" the Vision. The Pyms convince Vision to side with the good guys and Vision rebels against his parents.
    - AIM creates their own variation of the Pym Particles in order to access the microverse. Their rip-off Ant-Man agent is Eric O'Grady known as Black Ant.
    - Hank has a climatic battle with Black Ant resulting in both of them getting lost in the microverse with Pym leaving his wife and son behind.
    - Years later, Cassie and Vision are close and leading members of the new generation of the Avengers.
    - While under-studying with Cassie, the Pym's son encounters his older half-sister Nadia operating as Yellowjacket working for AIM.
    - After AIM is defeated, Nadia stays with Janet while Pym's son joins Valeria Richard's Future Foundation on his quest to become Scientist Supreme.

The End.

I guess we were mistaken it will be a while before Hank and Janet ever get tings right over Disassembled what caused them to separate in Disassembled anyway? And you can thank the writer of Unstoppable Wasp for bringing that up instead of what happened in Disassembled.
    I'd better not get started on how Whitley decided to go about this

What happened after Disassembled so that Jan and Hank separated? I'd say Bendis happened In all seriousness, I still get the feeling to this day that he decided to have them split up because of the Secret Invasion story arc in which Hank was replaced with a Skrull. I guess it was easier for the story line to have Hank and Jan apart, since Jan could have picked up on the imposter (unlikely, but still a possibility) Busiek had them as a good solid couple, working together and getting along just fine throughout his long run, and then Austen (ugh...!) came along and decided that the years and years of great storytelling that Busiek had done didn't mean squat. Since then, others writers, such has Bendis, have come along and went with the flow. But the reality is that their troubled relationship in the early 2000s came out of nowhere. They may have split up again eventually, but the way the story had been built up ever since Avengers Return didn't call for such a messy breakup at that point in the story. Mischaracterization at its best, and the first glimpse I personally got at a writer trying to fit characters into a narative instead of the other way around.
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

I'd ditch "Ant-Man" and make it simply...

The Winsome Wasp!

Janet juggles being a leader of her own team of Avengers (filled with mostly B-listers, with maybe a few big names) while also continuing her career as a fashion designer.

She-Hulk would be her BFF and member of her Avengers team. I've always loved the two of them together.

Wasp's rogues gallery would be established: Whirlwind is obviously her arch-nemesis. The female Beetle would be a perfect foil for both Jan and Jen since she's a lawyer and she's bug-themed. The Grapplers would return to their evil roots after their brief stint with Nadia in the Unstoppable Wasp series, making a great villain team for the book. I'd also bring back Madame Macabre, an obscure Ant-Man/Wasp villain from the 60's.

Beyond the standard superhero fare, I'd love to see more bizarre adventures featuring Wasp, like being transported to an alternate world inhabited by fairies and feeling right at home. My Wasp wouldn't be afraid to be very girly and very gay. Wasp could easily become a gay icon like Wonder Woman, Catwoman, or Storm.

I'd want to use Nadia as little as possible. I get it, she's a part of Jan's life now, but I really don't have much interest in the character. And she has her own series anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    I'd better not get started on how Whitley decided to go about this

What happened after Disassembled so that Jan and Hank separated? I'd say Bendis happened In all seriousness, I still get the feeling to this day that he decided to have them split up because of the Secret Invasion story arc in which Hank was replaced with a Skrull. I guess it was easier for the story line to have Hank and Jan apart, since Jan could have picked up on the imposter (unlikely, but still a possibility) Busiek had them as a good solid couple, working together and getting along just fine throughout his long run, and then Austen (ugh...!) came along and decided that the years and years of great storytelling that Busiek had done didn't mean squat. Since then, others writers, such has Bendis, have come along and went with the flow. But the reality is that their troubled relationship in the early 2000s came out of nowhere. They may have split up again eventually, but the way the story had been built up ever since Avengers Return didn't call for such a messy breakup at that point in the story. Mischaracterization at its best, and the first glimpse I personally got at a writer trying to fit characters into a narrative instead of the other way around.
    Whatever it was there was no reason to toss away what Busiek had done to repair the damage between Hank and Janet you have ot wonder why and how Chuck Austen became a writer at with the way he does things. Well writer making characters fit their narrative is indeed a problem at times not sure why this tends to happen the editors must be asleep at the wheel

Hank and Janet remarry. Hank goes by Giant-Man again. Nadia is retconned out of existence. Eric is brought back. Cassie is Stature again. Rita is brought back as Yellowjacket (she technically was already brought back in Chaos War, but the editors pretended it never happened).
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I'd ditch "Ant-Man" and make it simply...

The Winsome Wasp!

Janet juggles being a leader of her own team of Avengers (filled with mostly B-listers, with maybe a few big names) while also continuing her career as a fashion designer.

She-Hulk would be her BFF and member of her Avengers team. I've always loved the two of them together.

Wasp's rogues gallery would be established: Whirlwind is obviously her arch-nemesis. The female Beetle would be a perfect foil for both Jan and Jen since she's a lawyer and she's bug-themed. The Grapplers would return to their evil roots after their brief stint with Nadia in the Unstoppable Wasp series, making a great villain team for the book. I'd also bring back Madame Macabre, an obscure Ant-Man/Wasp villain from the 60's.

Beyond the standard superhero fare, I'd love to see more bizarre adventures featuring Wasp, like being transported to an alternate world inhabited by fairies and feeling right at home. My Wasp wouldn't be afraid to be very girly and very gay. Wasp could easily become a gay icon like Wonder Woman, Catwoman, or Storm.

I'd want to use Nadia as little as possible. I get it, she's a part of Jan's life now, but I really don't have much interest in the character. And she has her own series anyway.
    The tile of this sould be the Winsome Wasp and the Avengers then.

I thought about connecting her with the Brotherhood of Wasps from Spider-girl. They were introduced as rivals to the Spider-totem clan so exploring that side of the conflict would be fun.

It might have been easier to do this with Stature/Stinger tho.