Default Live Action Mobile Suit Gundam Movie In The Works

Legendary has just announced a new collaboration with Sunrise at Anime Expo 2018 that will see Gundam get its first ever live-action movie. Details are scarce and a provided press release by the studio stresses no story details are being revealed right now. However, it does include a brief synopsis for the premise of the original beloved anime series and its setting in the “Universal Century,” the main timeline that many of the dozens of Gundam anime, mangas, and video games have been set in:

The original Gundam series is set in the Universal Century, an era in which humanity’s growing population has led people to emigrate to space colonies. Eventually, the people living in the colonies seek their autonomy, and launch a war of independence against the people living on Earth. Through the tragedies and discord arising from this human conflict, not only the maturation of the main character, but also the intentions of enemies and the surrounding people are sensitively depicted.
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/legendary-is...-mo-1827373774

Well Pacific Rim did prove a movie about giant robots by Hollywood can work. On the other hand Hollywood adaptations of Japanese media is still pretty poor.

Well I guess the good news is that it almost certainly can't be as bad as the last time they tried it

This will be bad.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

I think it was only a matter of time before we saw a serious effort at a big-budget live-action Gundam movie, and Legendary Pictures makes as much sense to spearhead it as anyone.

Interestingly enough I've heard rumors this might be set during the Universal Century timeline.

Gundam's been sort of making little cameos in various movies and things-including of course, Ready Player One-for quite a few years. Although it's mainly just a model sitting on a shelf in the movie or something like that

There was of course some stateside popularity around 2000 with Gundam Wing, however some poor marketing decisions led to it fizzling out rather fast (despite some sporadic shows on TV here and there), although the last few years have had a revival of the home video releases and even some model kits here-but mainly appealing just to the fans.

With it being based on Universal Century, they'd probably confuse audiences if they tried to tie it directly into UC canon, so maybe they mean it will adapt the original series plotline-or part of it-into live action.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

I did not watch a Gundam series in my life. I might watch one just to avoid letting this movie soil the image of those shows for me.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Meh! If it ain't THIS, I ain't interested!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!