BANNED

Default New Bat-Titles Announced For DC Ink and Zoom Line (Oracle, Cassandra, Nightwing)

New Projects from Best-Selling Authors Include ORACLE: RISING by Marieke Nijkamp, SHADOW OF THE BATGIRL by Sarah Kuhn, DIANA, PRINCESS OF THE AMAZONS by Shannon and Dean Hale, DICK GRAYSON: LOST CARNIVAL by Michael Moreci, TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES: A JACK HYDE STORY by Alex Sanchez, and Leigh Bardugo’s WONDER WOMAN: WARBRINGER, Adapted by Louise Simonson

San Diego, CA (July 19, 2018) – DC Entertainment announced today during a press breakfast at Comic-Con International: San Diego 2018 (SDCC) the next wave of titles, authors and artists for the publisher’s upcoming young reader imprints, DC Ink and DC Zoom.

Marieke Nijkamp, the #1 New York Times best-selling YA author of This Is Where It Ends, will bring her storytelling to DC’s young adult line of graphic novels—DC Ink—with an original tale about a teenage Oracle, the superhero alter-ego that Barbara Gordon assumes after an encounter with The Joker confines her to a wheelchair. ORACLE: RISING will be joined by another tale about a teenage Batgirl, Cassandra Cain, in SHADOW OF THE BATGIRL, written by acclaimed author Sarah Kuhn, known for her popular Heroine Complex novels.

Credit: DC Entertainment
    Additional DC Ink titles announced today include: TRUTH OR CONSEQUENCES: A JACK HYDE STORY, the working title of an Aqualad story written by award-winning author Alex Sanchez (Rainbow Boys); DICK GRAYSON: LOST CARNIVAL, written by critically acclaimed comics writer Michael Moreci (Roche Limit); and Leigh Bardugo’s WONDER WOMAN: WARBRINGER, which will be adapted from its prose form into a graphic novel by writer Louise Simonson.
    https://www.newsarama.com/40919-new-...-line-ups.html

Truth or Consequences should be a Jackson Hyde story, shouldn't it? He's never referred to as Jack!

With this and the Birds of Prey movie, I gotta wonder if they're going with movie synergy. And that would mean a change of status quo soon for Babs and Cass in the mainstream comics.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

These sound really interesting, and it's nice to see DC doing books that acknowledge Barbara as Oracle and Cass as Batgirl .

Although since it's called "Oracle: Rising," I'm wondering if it's going to be another story showcasing Babs learning to live with and adapt to her disability.

I'm curious what continuity these stories will draw from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    With this and the Birds of Prey movie, I gotta wonder if they're going with movie synergy. And that would mean a change of status quo soon for Babs and Cass in the mainstream comics.
    I thought about that too, but I think the Ink/Zoom author just have a lot of freedom as far as characters/premise for their books, so if someone wanted to do a Cass Batgirl book, they were free too.

Just like we're getting a GL book with a completely original GL.

I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    These sound really interesting, and it's nice to see DC doing books that acknowledge Barbara as Oracle and Cass as Batgirl .

Although since it's called "Oracle: Rising," I'm wondering if it's going to be another story showcasing Babs learning to live with and adapt to her disability.

I thought about that too, but I think the Ink/Zoom author just have a lot of freedom as far as characters/premise for their books, so if someone wanted to do a Cass Batgirl book, they were free too.

If they adapt Oracle: Year One, that would be pretty amazing.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

BANNED

Can we now stop with the "Didio" hates Cass theories? These Zoom/Ink/Hanna Barbera/Loony Toons/Black Label/New Age of Heroes books are his babies.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

I'm actually expecting these to be very continuity lite so I don't think these books will be fitting into any specific comic book continuity. They could, however, be set within their own continuity if they wanted to go that route. Because of that and because these writers are not comic book writers its also very likely that the writers will have lot more freedom to tell the story they want to tell than the normal comic book writers have. I doubt most of them would put up with the editorial shenanigans comic book writers have to deal with when writing for the Big Two.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

I'm not sure why Nijkamp would choose to have Barbara as a teenager when she assumed the Oracle identity, but I'm never gonna say no to more Oracle stories. In fact, between this and Shadow of the Batgirl (very inspired title, if I may express an opinion) these new GN's might help me forget for a few hours the existence of the regular Batgirl series.

Overall a really intriguing initiative.

Congratulations cass