Default Keri Russell cast in episode 9

She and JJ have worked together a few times before of course, mainly on Felicity and the third Mission Impossible movie.

No real world on who she's playing, but I'm guessing maybe she's a resistance character, perhaps filling the void left by Holdo and (probably) Leia (Although Poe can certainly function as a leader that way too). Or she could be a member of the first Order I suppose, or even some shady character like DJ or a CG character (Hopefully not the last one).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Fantastic Member

Rey's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
    Rey's mom.
    I'm torn on this subject, part of me what's what Kilo Ren said to be untrue and Rey is connected to the lineage of Star Wars some how. The other part of me wants them to stick with what is there. Though I don't like Johnson's story and think he can't write I do understand his reasoning for making Rey come from nothing.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

I kinda like the idea of Rey's parents being space John and Jane Doe.

No one else find weird that idea so common in media that you're nobody if you're parents were nobody?

I don't believe for a second that they are going to do that and i'm sure we will learn that Rey is the daughter of someone famous, or the living incarnation of the force itself why not considering how she's OP, but that would be something i would actually praise.

See? I can praise the sequels, i'm not unfair.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    the living incarnation of the force itself why not considering how she's OP, but that would be something i would actually praise.
    That's weird, because something close to that is actually stated as fact in The Last Jedi. Rey is the Force trying to balance itself.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I kinda like the idea of Rey's parents being space John and Jane Doe.
    I'm fine with it, but I never really understood how some defenders of the Last Jedi argued that making Rey's parents no one was so groundbreaking or a great dramatic turn.

The Skywalker's are pretty much an aberration in terms of being a family of Force users given that Jedi don't normally breed. Regardless of whether Anakin was some science experiment or not, he was literally drafted from the street. So it's not like I every had this notion of Jedi being the children of nobels or anything. And as far as I recall, it's not like Rey ever said anything about their parents being important, so for me it's not really a plot point.

I don't think that they'll make her Rey's mom though, unless this is a real small role where it's just a flashback. Even then I really fail to see the point of dredging up to point again (or in the first place).

My guess is that she's going to be used to connect the plot of the last film with the larger universe. For example, maybe she leads up some other faction fighting the first order, and she's trying to find the resistance. Or maybe a member of the resistance in an away mission while TLJ happened and is trying to reconnect with them.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthon616 View Post
    I'm fine with it, but I never really understood how some defenders of the Last Jedi argued that making Rey's parents no one was so groundbreaking or a great dramatic turn.

The Skywalker's are pretty much an aberration in terms of being a family of Force users given that Jedi don't normally breed. Regardless of whether Anakin was some science experiment or not, he was literally drafted from the street. So it's not like I every had this notion of Jedi being the children of nobels or anything. And as far as I recall, it's not like Rey ever said anything about their parents being important, so for me it's not really a plot point.

I don't think that they'll make her Rey's mom though, unless this is a real small role where it's just a flashback. Even then I really fail to see the point of dredging up to point again (or in the first place).

My guess is that she's going to be used to connect the plot of the last film with the larger universe. For example, maybe she leads up some other faction fighting the first order, and she's trying to find the resistance. Or maybe a member of the resistance in an away mission while TLJ happened and is trying to reconnect with them.
    I'd be more fine with it IF they'd not completely wrecked the old hero's life's work. "Random desert" girl swooping in to save the day just isn't interesting to me after that. And you're right that this "random hero coming from nowhere" idea is nothing new in SW. It's been a Well-established idea for DECADES, the Skywalker's are the exception to that if anything, so LF/Rian Johnson/TLJ defenders arguing that it's some "grand new subverise" idea is just, not true.

As for Keri, I'd like to see her as a villain personally. Kylo and Hux lack credibility as villains and it's high time that we got a major female villain in one of these films (and no, Phasma does not count).

I agree I've seen some reviews and comment that with her a "nobody" and broom boy at the end that Jedi or what ever the symbolism (read a lot of theories on that) can come form anywhere. But the prequels sort have made that clear anyway its nothing ground breaking and new.

I think Russell may end up as some type of Mon Montha political leader.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    That's weird, because something close to that is actually stated as fact in The Last Jedi. Rey is the Force trying to balance itself.
    I think that's Rey and Kylo myself. I think the 'visions' they both had have yet to come - ultimately the Force will find balance by a combination of dark and light.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by motherofpearl1 View Post
    I think that's Rey and Kylo myself. I think the 'visions' they both had have yet to come - ultimately the Force will find balance by a combination of dark and light.
    I'm pretty sure they didn't have visions. Snoke just showed them false stuff to puppeteer them into a position thought he wanted.

You know, it would be nice perhaps to have the series have a decent female villain for once. Zam Wessel didn't do too much (and it's a bit debateable that she's even a she); and Phasma turned out to be disappointing, especially given that the TLJ comic books and novels were really hyping her up. I don't really count Kira or Enfys Nest.

It's kind of weird because the Disney non-film media has had a ton of female villains. Apart from Ventress and Talzin who sort of pre-dates them, the character of Rae Sloane in the novels pretty much created the first order. There was Governor Pryce in the Rebels series, and of course Doctor Aphra has been around for a while now, although she's more of a Han-like character at this stage rather than really evil. I guess you can toss in Cienna Rhee and Iden Versio, although both sort of turned 'good' (Well, Versio more than Cienna).

I think TFA was also the first SW film to show female bad guy officers/technicians/stormtroopers (There's at least one other female Stormtrooper who reports to Ren)-the ones played by Hannah John-Kamen and Kate FLeetwood (Who I iniitally thought was Lucy Lawless).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Well we can kill one rumor today:

The role of Leia Organa will once again be played by Carrie Fisher, using previously unreleased footage shot for Star Wars: The Force Awakens. “We desperately loved Carrie Fisher,” says Abrams. “Finding a truly satisfying conclusion to the Skywalker saga without her eluded us. We were never going to recast, or use a CG character. With the support and blessing from her daughter, Billie, we have found a way to honor Carrie’s legacy and role as Leia in Episode IX by using unseen footage we shot together in Episode VII.”
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Hmm, ah well, better than again one of those accursed CGI zombie i guess.

Mighty Member

Anakin's first 9 years was as a slave
    Qui Gon Jinn took him from slavery
    he wasn't drafted from the street
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

Rey being from nothing has grown on me. I still feel it was a letdown initially based on what I will always see as clear foreshadowing about something connective of her origins in TFA. But, I have grown to appreciate a subtle connectivity to Anakin himself in the origin. Anakin came from nothing, as a direct product of the Force, to balance it. Perhaps it can now even be seen that Anakin balancing the Force almost meant the whole shebang going into slumber, hence it "awakening" in Episode VII. Anakin was created by the Force to put to sleep the old ways. Rey was created by the Force (just not as literally) to awaken it and start it anew. Luke meanwhile was the guy in the middle who saved the whole thing, putting it back on course after it was derailed by Palpatine when he turned Anakin into Darth Vader.

Long story short, I like it better now than I used to and won't be disappointed if it stays that way. Is it possible that her mother might be revealed? Perhaps, but even if so it doesn't mean she herself is connected in anyway to the OG characters. All that said, I'm counting on her just being something like a Holdo-type authority figure.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-11-2018 at 02:29 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El