Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Best Parent In Fiction

Since we have a "Worst Parent in Fiction" thread, I decided that we needed a "Best Parent in Fiction" thread.

Best Dad: Greg Universe

Best Mom: Midoriya Inko
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence.
    - C.S. Lewis

Extraordinary Member

The entire staff at U.A. Seriously, Nedzu only seems to hire people that can act as fantastic parents (or grandparents in Recovery Girl's case) to 20+ dumb future super heroes.

Son Gohan is just fantastic as far as dads go.

Isshin Kurosaki might be the best biological dad of a shounen protag I've ever seen.

Molly Weasley is just great.

Mufasa deserves a mention, I feel.

Kiritsugu Emiya was pretty legit as a parent, despite his tragic anti-heroism.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

kyros from one piece.

.......Picollo? ;p
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Incredible Member

Jonathan Kent

Optimus Prime

Data surprisingly enough had my favorite fictional father advice. When his daughter Lal ask him why the two of them should brother being human when they'll never succeed, Data replies with: I have asked myself that many times, as I have struggled to be more human. Until I realized, it is the struggle itself that is most important. We must strive to be more than we are, Lal. It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal. The effort yields its own rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul # 7 View Post
    The entire staff at U.A. Seriously, Nedzu only seems to hire people that can act as fantastic parents (or grandparents in Recovery Girl's case) to 20+ dumb future super heroes.

Son Gohan is just fantastic as far as dads go.

Isshin Kurosaki might be the best biological dad of a shounen protag I've ever seen.

Molly Weasley is just great.
    Came here to say the exact same thing.

Pretty much all of Tomasi's Superman is great but the road trip arc was really the icing on the cake. Superman being a great dad and teaching Jon about America? Sign me up. The whole run was like a more grounded, less flawed Fantastic Four story, with multiverse threatening shenanigans and Batman investigating haunted farms and getting dropped by psychic cows in equal measure
    Last edited by The Dork Knight; 07-07-2018 at 01:26 AM.

Jonathan and Martha Kent. There's a reason Clark thinks of them as his "real parents" and thinks of himself as Clark and not Kal
    There is no "overkill". There is only "open fire" and "I need to reload.".

I like to think the 90s was the time when comics hit puberty. They’d grown out of being endearing but hadn’t yet figured out where to channel their emotions to not be utterly whiny cocks. -Beadle

Godzilla. Showa era of course.

Littlefoot's mother. Oh dear Lord that had me tearing up when I was younger, worse than Bambi's mom.

Also, Bambi's mom.

When it comes to Molly, people always remember "Not my daughter, you bitch!", and that is a great moment. But this exchange was far better for me:

Sirius: He[Harry]'s not your son.
    Molly: He's as good as.

Extraordinary Member

Zuko may call him "uncle" but we all know that Iroh is Zuko's dad in every way that counts. And he is fantastic at it.

Uncle Iroh

Molly Weasley

Son Goku

Naruto Uzumaki

(yes they are in spite of fandom insistence of the contrary).

The Kents.

Those are the ones that i can think of right now.

Unpopular opinion: Piccolo wasn't a dad to Gohan, at best he was a surrogate uncle or big brother.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    Uncle Iroh

Molly Weasley

Son Goku

Naruto Uzumaki

(yes they are in spite of fandom insistence of the contrary).

The Kents.

Those are the ones that i can think of right now.

Unpopular opinion: Piccolo wasn't a dad to Gohan, at best he was a surrogate uncle or big brother.
    I'll give you Naruto. But Goku? Sorry, he isn't a good parent in any sense of the word. Neither is Chi-Chi to be fair.

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    I'll give you Naruto. But Goku? Sorry, he isn't a good parent in any sense of the word. Neither is Chi-Chi to be fair.
    well to be fair..........goku isn't the worst but he's far from the best. chi-chi, i can give a pass on, due to her wanting gohan not to turn out like goku too much. and she succeed. gohan is a great father. and so is krillin. and vegeta too.

goku's not the worst parent. he's just.........the least good in dragonball.