Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Essential Spider-Man Reading

Hey everyone!

I'm brand new here and I'm so excited to get to talk to fellow Spider-Man fans!

I've read Spider-Man for nearly 12 years, and I've picked up a few back issues. But recently, I was blessed to be able to get all 11 volumes of Essential Spider-Man, all five volumes of Essential Spectacular Spider-Man, and both volumes of Web of Spider-Man. So I have 25 years of Spider-Man comic history in my backlog, and I'm psyched!

I was wondering: what would be some writer/artist runs you guys would recommend? I have a variety now, and I'm open to pretty much anything.

P.S.: If anyone has Essential Marvel Team-Up please let me know!

Hi and welcome! I’m a big fan of both the mini and current series of ASM Renew Your Vows. It’s a really fun read and kind of a different take on Spidey by adding the family element.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've read the original "Renew Your Vows" and I loved it! The series hasn't quite grabbed me as much, but this latest issue with Scott Koblish on art and the Parkers on vacation was definitely a step up for me!
    Last edited by WebSlingWonder; 06-08-2018 at 08:49 PM.

That's a lot of comics.

A big part of the appeal of Spider-Man is seeing Peter's adventures in sequential order, so I do recommend reading complete runs. A lot of the major stuff happens in the first 150 issues.

Beyond that, periods worth checking out.

Amazing Spider-Man 189-200: A stretch of key issues that marks the highlights of Marv Wolfman's run with the debut of the Black Cat, return of Uncle Ben's killer, and some major fights against important enemies.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man 22-32: A good stretch of Spectacular Spider-Man, with a mystery threat and Frank Miller drawing Daredevil.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man 43-61/ Amazing Spider-Man 224-251: The classic run by Roger Stern, widely considered one of the best writers on the series. Includes the debut of the Hobgoblin.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man 72-80: A good stretch of crime drama from Bill Mantlo's run, including the Owl/ Octopus war.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man 107-110, 112-113: A major arc by Peter David, as Spider-Man's chase for a murderer puts him in conflict with Daredevil.

Keep us posted on what you read, and what your favorites happen to be.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That's a lot of comics.

A big part of the appeal of Spider-Man is seeing Peter's adventures in sequential order, so I do recommend reading complete runs. A lot of the major stuff happens in the first 150 issues.

Amazing Spider-Man 189-200: A stretch of key issues that marks the highlights of Marv Wolfman's run with the debut of the Black Cat, return of Uncle Ben's killer, and some major fights against important enemies.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man 22-32: A good stretch of Spectacular Spider-Man, with a mystery threat and Frank Miller drawing Daredevil.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man 43-61/ Amazing Spider-Man 224-251: The classic run by Roger Stern, widely considered one of the best writers on the series. Includes the debut of the Hobgoblin.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man 72-80: A good stretch of crime drama from Bill Mantlo's run, including the Owl/ Octopus war.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man 107-110, 112-113: A major arc by Peter David, as Spider-Man's chase for a murderer puts him in conflict with Daredevil.

Wow! I’m a huge DD fan and will have to check those issues out!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

I can second that the RYV series is great. Brian Michael Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man is a must-read, IMHO; some really great stories and it's probably the most influential in terms of how the movies depict the character. "Kraven's Last Hunt" is one of the best stories from ASM, IMHO.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I can second that the RYV series is great. Brian Michael Bendis's Ultimate Spider-Man is a must-read, IMHO; some really great stories and it's probably the most influential in terms of how the movies depict the character. "Kraven's Last Hunt" is one of the best stories from ASM, IMHO.
    Ultimate Spider-Man was my introduction to Spider-Man and Peter Parker. I was fortunate to gather and collect all 18 volumes of Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley's run. I need the last five to complete that original USM run. I love USM with a passion and it's still my favorite Spidey series.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That's a lot of comics.

Thanks, Mister Mets! I look forward to reading those. I have seen some of Roger Stern's work, and I liked what I saw!

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Ultimate Spider-Man was my introduction to Spider-Man and Peter Parker. I was fortunate to gather and collect all 18 volumes of Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley's run. I need the last five to complete that original USM run. I love USM with a passion and it's still my favorite Spidey series.
    I think most of them are still in print. Vol. 19 isn't, though, so you'll have to get that one used on Amazon or something. Pretty much everything post Ultimatum is in print, too, if you want to go on.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think most of them are still in print. Vol. 19 isn't, though, so you'll have to get that one used on Amazon or something. Pretty much everything post Ultimatum is in print, too, if you want to go on.
    Why is Volume 19 not in print?

Peter Parker's College Years, The Clone Saga, Superior Spider-Man.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Why is Volume 19 not in print?
    I don't know. A few years ago I decided I was going to collect all the Ultimate Spider-Man and other Ultimate comics that were relevant to his story in trade form. Did that (except for the of the Ultimate Team-Up stuff), but I found along the way that random volumes in the series had gone out of print and couldn't be ordered through stores, forcing me to do some used book orders on Amazon. No rhyme or reason to what's still around and what had falled by the wayside. Could be worse, though; most of those were priced okay, while I had to overpay significantly to get the New-X-Men trades, which are totally out of print now.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1528598275263.jpg_1528598277232.jpg
    MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1528598288685.jpg_1528598292015.jpg
    So I got one of them yesterday. This thing is huge! It's a phonebook size haha

Incredible Member

Hey everyone!

I'm brand new here and I'm so excited to get to talk to fellow Spider-Man fans!

I've read Spider-Man for nearly 12 years, and I've picked up a few back issues. But recently, I was blessed to be able to get all 11 volumes of Essential Spider-Man, all five volumes of Essential Spectacular Spider-Man, and both volumes of Web of Spider-Man. So I have 25 years of Spider-Man comic history in my backlog, and I'm psyched!

I was wondering: what would be some writer/artist runs you guys would recommend? I have a variety now, and I'm open to pretty much anything.

P.S.: If anyone has Essential Marvel Team-Up please let me know!
    How about the best thing (next best things are reprints, that is): checking out that Comic Book Shop Silver Age display wall / trophy case, and buy some actual originals!

Any memorable Amazing Spider-Man covers that caught your eyes while flipping through those Essentials? Maybe Mary Jane Watson dancing on issue 59, or those Doctor Octopus covers on issues 55-56? Or, how about one of those un-comic coded "Drug Issues"?

Really, while I collect most of the Ditko and some of the Romita in Marvel Tales reprint form, not like I could ever afford first appearances, other than Prowler, which I have; I'm sure you could find and afford Kangaroo, Rocket Racer, and Big Wheel, if you're into them. My opinion, it is neat to actually have a few authentic issues with the then-still living, not a clone, original Gwendolyn Stacy in then-present day, not even a flashback either. Hey, I even have one with then-still living Captain George Stacy! Or, to have at least a few Stan Lee / Johnny Romita, and maybe someday muster enough money to invest on at least one Steve Ditko, even if that one might one day be one of his the early-mid thirties issues, the tail end of creativity of his run, that would be awesome. But hey, I can at least still say I have some Gwen issues, a Spidey / Kingpin battle royale issue, the first appearance and origin of the Prowler, even the issue of Peter Parker and Mary Jane's first kiss.
    Last edited by ngroove; 06-11-2018 at 01:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    How about the best thing (next best things are reprints, that is): checking out that Comic Book Shop Silver Age display wall / trophy case, and buy some actual originals!

Any memorable Amazing Spider-Man covers that caught your eyes while flipping through those Essentials? Maybe Mary Jane Watson dancing on issue 59, or those Doctor Octopus covers on issues 55-56? Or, how about one of those un-comic coded "Drug Issues"?

Really, while I collect most of the Ditko and some of the Romita in Marvel Tales reprint form, not like I could ever afford first appearances, other than Prowler, which I have; I'm sure you could find and afford Kangaroo, Rocket Racer, and Big Wheel, if you're into them. My opinion, it is neat to actually have a few authentic issues with the then-still living, not a clone, original Gwendolyn Stacy in then-present day, not even a flashback either. Hey, I even have one with then-still living Captain George Stacy! Or, to have at least a few Stan Lee / Johnny Romita, and maybe someday muster enough money to invest on at least one Steve Ditko, even if that one might one day be one of his the early-mid thirties issues, the tail end of creativity of his run, that would be awesome. But hey, I can at least still say I have some Gwen issues, a Spidey / Kingpin battle royale issue, the first appearance and origin of the Prowler, even the issue of Peter Parker and Mary Jane's first kiss.
    I would love to buy some of the single issues, but right now I'm more interested in reading them en masse, you know?