Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    World's Greatest Hero blackspidey2099's Avatar

RIP. We have lost a true legend. "If This Be My Destiny" (and really the entire Lee/Distko run of ASM) are classic examplars of the absolute best visual storytelling.
    "Anyone can win a fight when the odds are easy! It's when the going's tough - when there seems to be no chance - that's when it counts!" - Spider-Man

Steve Ditko was by far one of my all time favorite artists in all of comics. IMO, Spider-Man has the best looking superhero costume out of every other superhero because of the amazing amount of detail that was stylized by Steve Ditko. Of course, I will always hold his original Spider-Man run alongside Stan Lee to the highest regard. I respect the fact that despite all of the fame and fortune that came with Spider-Man, the man still stayed true to himself.

RIP, Steve Ditko and thank you for your contributions to the comic genre.

Spectacular Member Knightmare10880's Avatar

Rest in Peace Mr. Ditko and thank you for all the great memories you gave to us all.

BANNED

RIP to a legend.

Every creative run on Spider-Man post-Ditko, even the best of those runs, have all been facsimiles of the genuine article.

Ditko's Spider-Man stands alone.

RIP Steve Ditko. You co-created my favorite superhero of all time, Spider-Man, and your impact on comics will not be forgotten.

Astonishing Member

The unique looks of Steve Ditko's characters, Spider-Man is the standout with Green Goblin and Doctor Strange with THAT artwork of his. Thanks and RIP.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Nothing can beat time,unfortunately and it's sad to lose such talents,even in old age. Ditko's impact in comic book industry is unparallel. He is the co-creator of one of the most iconic super-heroes(two,if you count Dr Strange) and let's not forget that he created iconic DC characters as well,like the Question.

RIP mr Ditko,you earned the only immortality we have, the artistic one.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

BANNED

Ditko's visuals brought some vitality and even a dose of reality to my comic book escapism. You felt when Peter overcame something, ended an issue on a crushing heartbreak or an exhilarating victory. It was one of the two extremes each time. While there is the iconic "If this Be My Destiny", everything before that, the "book length epics" set the tone and the heart for what was to come. Very few have replicated that to a fine science, Lee and Ditko's are the ideal gateway to the world outside your window and into the personal and extraordinary life of one such hero in it.

And of course Squirrel Girl goes from strength to strength now...at least Steve lived long enough to see her achieve mainstream relevancy, as well as see Spider-Man and Doctor Strange achieve theatrical successes multiple times over.

He will be missed, and he will also be revered. A private man who helped weave a world of heroes with real struggles to the public.

RIP
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 07-07-2018 at 12:23 AM.

RIP Mr. Ditko.

Well this was really sad news to wake up to. Today I'll pick my ASM and Dr Strange omnibuses off the shelf and do some reading in his honour. RIP Steve Ditko.
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

Terrible news, now the two icons are gone, maybe Steve and Jack can entertain other spheres with their talents.

Rest in Peace Mr Ditko, and my deepest gratitude for your work.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Gutted, Steve helped to create many of my favourite heroes and villains in comics, including my arguably fav bad guy ever, Doctor Octopus. My Ditko ASM omnibus is one of my favourite comic purchases from the last ten plus years ago, so I will open it up again in his honour.

BANNED

Was never a huge fan of his art, but surely he was one of the legends... RIP

BANNED

I feel so... so terrible! I am shattered!
    May he rest in peace!

He was an important artist, and so distinctive, that he's basically a genre of artist. RIP.

The Master Planner Saga is the definitive Spider-Man story, with the five page opening of ASM 33 being arguably the most famous (for good reason) sequence in comics.

One of his most underrated stories is Amazing Spider-Man 24 where Spider-Man thinks he's going nuts, a decent showcase for Ditko's style.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets