Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Rest in peace Steve Ditko and thank you for creating one of my favourite characters the Question.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

I thought he already passed away. I remembered years ago reading Spider-Man's early appearances and looking at his art. I feel sad now.

Today is a sad day for one of the greatest creators of these great characters.

R.I.P

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Dr. Strange. Spider-Man. Blue Beetle (II). Captain Atom. Nightshade. The Question. Mr. A. Shade The Changing Man. The Hawk and The Dove.

I loved them all.

Thanks Mr. Ditko. Farewell.
    You forgot the Creeper, but I share your sentiments.

Steve Ditko, we hardly knew ye . . .
    Pull List: Currently Empty

His Spider-Man design absolutely changed the game. Infantino’s Flash costume was probably the first step of the modern superhero costume designs but Ditko took it to a whole new level with Spider-Man.

The Creeper has always been one of my favorite characters. Spidey combined with The Joker. One of the most crazy character designs that somehow works.

Hopefully the news of his passing will give him more recognition with the new generation of comic book fans. Although that was never something he strived for. I just think it’s something he deserves.
    Last edited by Robotman; 07-06-2018 at 11:38 PM.

I loved the ways he did things “differently”. The way his dream landscapes for stuff like Dr Strange had a real quality, like he was drawing them from a reality that he could see, and pull the reader into.

When he drew the Parker family, Aunt May, Uncle Ben, and Peter...you could see how ordinary looking people could be transformed by love and nobility of spirit into something special. Arttists since haven’t been able to do that..they draw Peter and Aunt May as film stars.

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I loved the ways he did things “differently”. The way his dream landscapes for stuff like Dr Strange had a real quality, like he was drawing them from a reality that he could see, and pull the reader into.

When he drew the Parker family, Aunt May, Uncle Ben, and Peter...you could see how ordinary looking people could be transformed by love and nobility of spirit into something special. Arttists since haven’t been able to do that..they draw Peter and Aunt May as film stars.
    I loved that in Ditko's art.When he wanted,he could produce surreal magic planes,but when he draw common people,there's a realism in that. Aunt May and Uncle Ben looked ordinary and plain,like ordinary people,but you could see the loving and caring atmosphere that Pete had with them.

As for DC,he created Question and Ted Kord,the second Blue Beetle,my favorite DC characters.Thank God that JLU promoted Question and he was an important character,especially in Cadmus arc.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    One of the most important individuals ever in the history of comic books.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Without a doubt, BA, and one who was still going strong when I was a kid. The Creeper was my favorite of his contributions from DC, FWIW.

RIP
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

We also have him to thanks for the Ted Lord Blue Beetle, The Question, and Captain Atom. Basically, we wouldn't have had Watchmen without his earlier work. And yes, he created The Odd Man, whom I use as my name/avatar. A kooky character I would have loved to see more of.

Requiescat in pace, Mr. Ditko.

51nYqfJ9BTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post

I know this is a DC forum, but I was especially fond of his foundational run on Dr. Strange. You couldn't quite be sure if magic influenced "the real world," or if the mystic arts were purely telepathic phenomena that happened to occur on more than one level of reality.

The entire On The Run From Domammu and Baron Mordo epic was fantastic. As far as I know, that was the first really extended arc seen in monthly superhero comics.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 07-07-2018 at 07:34 AM.

Last edited by Güicho; 07-07-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Last edited by Güicho; 07-07-2018 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    You forgot the Creeper, but I share your sentiments.

Steve Ditko, we hardly knew ye . . .
    He created Speedball and Squirrel Girl for Marvel as well.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Incredible Member

I am really wishing that DC would see fit to trade paperback some of his work with volumes of SHADE THE CHANGING MAN, his STARMAN drawn stories from Adventure Comics, STALKER and then maybe trade some of his various works together.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    [/IMG]
    I believe the first time I ever heard of Ditko was due to the introduction of Shade back in '77, though I found out about his earlier contributions later on that same year.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?