Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ghost of the Stratosphere Not BAMF's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Technically no character was designed to even live on the same world as the others. But what makes you think other are more suited to share the same Earth?
    I don't want to pimp the podcast I am a part of more than I already do, but if you want to hear an elongated response, PM me, and I can direct you to where we discuss this at some amount of length.

That said, the short answer would be that the "super hero" aspects of DC all fit basically the same level and scope, and I like the idea of these god-level beings intermingling and having they mythologies affect one another. You have meta humans based on Earth, Mars, an various aspects of the universe, and it all feels huge and interconnected. I don't mind the idea that the Speed Force and the Guardians of the Universe and Apokolips all existing and interacting on the same plane. The universe is a huge place, and all these beings fighting for different pieces of the pie creates a fun pantheon.

But when you bring in a lot of street level characters, and the Bat-family in particular, those low-to-the-ground characters feel essentially pointless. And to counter that inadequacy, the writers and editors have to pump their tires to ludicrously unrealistic proportions (which is when you get a Batman who is capable of taking down the JLA with silly plans). Those stories are fun and goofy, to be sure, but really destroy who and what Batman (and his universe) is supposed to be.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Not BAMF View Post
    I don't want to pimp the podcast I am a part of more than I already do, but if you want to hear an elongated response, PM me, and I can direct you to where we discuss this at some amount of length.

That said, the short answer would be that the "super hero" aspects of DC all fit basically the same level and scope, and I like the idea of these god-level beings intermingling and having they mythologies affect one another. You have meta humans based on Earth, Mars, an various aspects of the universe, and it all feels huge and interconnected. I don't mind the idea that the Speed Force and the Guardians of the Universe and Apokolips all existing and interacting on the same plane. The universe is a huge place, and all these beings fighting for different pieces of the pie creates a fun pantheon.

But when you bring in a lot of street level characters, and the Bat-family in particular, those low-to-the-ground characters feel essentially pointless. And to counter that inadequacy, the writers and editors have to pump their tires to ludicrously unrealistic proportions (which is when you get a Batman who is capable of taking down the JLA with silly plans). Those stories are fun and goofy, to be sure, but really destroy who and what Batman (and his universe) is supposed to be.
    Okay then. But based on the trade-off you mentioned a shared universe might cost more than it's worth despite the benefits.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Dying Detective View Post
    Well what I am proposing can allow company wide crossover events but due to being segregated they will be trickier to pull off and may even discourage them completely. But don't team books affect solo books too?
    What happens in Back Panther with Storm is RARELY if at all acknowledge in X-Universe and that includes when they were married.

Stuff done in Cyborg's book has been ignored in Justice League.

For a time We Are Robin was ignored by Batman Rebirth books.

For team books you can leave that time frame vague or restrict any change to a character after an arc is done. In other words if Superman changes color again-you will not see it in the JLA book until that arc is over (if his color change is just temporary).

BANNED

Expanding on something that was said earlier -- the people who are into the shared universe, and thus shared continuity, are the mostly the hard-core fans. The casual fans don't care much about it if at all, and they're the ones who the company should be trying to reach.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    What happens in Back Panther with Storm is RARELY if at all acknowledge in X-Universe and that includes when they were married.

Stuff done in Cyborg's book has been ignored in Justice League.

For a time We Are Robin was ignored by Batman Rebirth books.

For team books you can leave that time frame vague or restrict any change to a character after an arc is done. In other words if Superman changes color again-you will not see it in the JLA book until that arc is over (if his color change is just temporary).
    That's interesting to know still I already have a plan for team books but I doubt anyone would be too taken by it since it prevents all-star teams like the Justice League from existing. Still somehow some way people will allude to these things or even bring in the effects from events and other books this plan I have if they stick to it will lessen those issues. ALso there was a good reason for why no one really talks about Storm and T'Challa's relationship and marriage it was sloppy work.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    Expanding on something that was said earlier -- the people who are into the shared universe, and thus shared continuity, are the mostly the hard-core fans. The casual fans don't care much about it if at all, and they're the ones who the company should be trying to reach.
    So what I am proposing could be perfect for the average Joe and if DC and/or Marvel come up with something similar or at least stop being such continuity nuts or at if the fandom stops that it will work out in their favour and they can find a way win the casual reader more.
    Last edited by The Dying Detective; 07-08-2018 at 02:51 AM.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he