Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My real world DC Universe... would end in 1960 and we'd just get new stories set between 1938 and 1960.
    And then another real world DC on another Earth that goes from 1960 to 1980. And then new stories set between 1960 and 1980.
    And then another real world DC on another Earth that goes from 1980 to 2000. And then new stories set between 1980 and 2000.
    And then another real world DC on another Earth that goes from 2000 to 2020.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    I don't know,Jon. A pre-puberty Batman would have looked kind of stupid in 1960, IMO.
    That's because you aren't taking into account that the suit would have been padded.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    My real world DC Universe... would end in 1960 and we'd just get new stories set between 1938 and 1960.
    And then another real world DC on another Earth that goes from 1960 to 1980. And then new stories set between 1960 and 1980.
    And then another real world DC on another Earth that goes from 1980 to 2000. And then new stories set between 1980 and 2000.
    And then another real world DC on another Earth that goes from 2000 to 2020.
    Sounds awfully similar to :
    Earth 2 (1938-1951/1955) later revisited from 1963-1986
    Earth 1 (1955-1986) with some fudging of time passing
    Post-Crisis Earth (1986-1993) ….

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    That's because you aren't taking into account that the suit would have been padded.
    Heh. I forgot about that.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

There's enough time shenanigans involved at all times that there's been plenty of real time DCU's New Frontier, The Golden Age, Generations and others within the DC Multiverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    My point is that whether Superman has that staying power based on not being in real time is not a given. There's nothing to say .....
    Cause you have a comparable franchise with "real time" ongoing comics, books, cartoons, tv shows, movies, games, where the lead has aged and/or died and passed on the legacy, that has sold longer, and is more popular?

If you do just name it?
    Anyone name it.
    We can look at it as proof of longer working model.
    One that sells more.

Soap-Operas are great examples, although I'm not familiar with any, which has been the longest running one, how long?
    Trek was a great example, although they've fallen back to reboots, and now instead of new legacy, going back to Picard.
    Young Anakin(prequel) and Rey, are great starts, although not nearly as long not yet, we'll know it's staying power, when the next gens. moved away from Luke & Leia (who wil no longer be a presence), and just solos the new Legacy and/or prequel characters.
    Bond uses sliding time scale.
    Dr. Who has the lead character regenerate through a sliding time-scale.

Right now our more successful and longest running popular franchises, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, use sliding time scale, moving the lead character forward, not real time.
    And most successful comic characters have followed this model. Marvel: Spider-Man, etc...

Unless I'm missing a "real time" franchise, where the original character is dead or aged, and replaced by legacy, that has been more successful, just name it!?

And we we'll take it as better working model.

Otherwise, we know what works, sliding time scale, it's why these comic characters, have the staying power they do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magmaster12 View Post
    What would a real time DC Universe be like?
    Basically the question above,
    "Real time" and the fans clamoring for it, would have long ago tanked or ended the industry, and all the huge successful franchises built on it's "sliding-time" scale.
    Last edited by Güicho; 08-06-2018 at 01:24 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Most fans' favorite characters would be dead or completely decrepit with advanced age.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

This basically supposes that we're the last generation that gets to read new adventures of these characters because they'll die or retire with us. I think they have to be timeless it basically all the best ideas get forced into the grave because some fans can't accept their fantasy characters after unrealistic.

This is before we consider the delivery method of one issue per month. So characters like Blue Beetle can get like 6 arcs, six stories to tell, before his book is cancelled and then he ages out or returns a few years later but now older and with issues. You'll get a couple years of JSA and then everyone starts to die. What, four stories before their blood pressure spikes? What if their book is cancelled and it takes four years for it to get another shot? Did they all die off-panel?

I think it's fun as an elseworlds title to approach with a finite story to tell, but it's incredibly selfish of me to consider aging Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman to geriatric/retired age before my niece or grandkids get to experience them.

I think a DC universe that's just all the legacies will look like a fanfic. It's just not the DC universe if you remove everyone recognizable and introduce characters maybe only comic readers would know. It would lose the magic. I'd certainly stop reading because it wouldn't be the DCU anymore.
    Last edited by Robanker; 08-06-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Unless I'm missing a "real time" franchise, where the original character is dead or aged, and replaced by legacy, that has been more successful, just name it!?

Otherwise, we know what works, sliding time scale, it's why these comic characters, have the staying power they do.
    .....Crickets.

.....Crickets.
    Cause you have a comparable franchise with "real time" ongoing comics, books, cartoons, tv shows, movies, games, where the lead has aged and/or died and passed on the legacy, that has sold longer, and is more popular?

If you do just name it?
    Anyone name it.
    We can look at it as proof of longer working model.
    One that sells more.

Soap-Operas are great examples, although I'm not familiar with any, which has been the longest running one, how long?
    Trek was a great example, although they've fallen back to reboots, and now instead of new legacy, going back to Picard.
    Young Anakin(prequel) and Rey, are great starts, although not nearly as long not yet, we'll know it's staying power, when the next gens. moved away from Luke & Leia (who wil no longer be a presence), and just solos the new Legacy and/or prequel characters.
    Bond uses sliding time scale.
    Dr. Who has the lead character regenerate through a sliding time-scale.

Right now our more successful and longest running popular franchises, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, use sliding time scale, moving the lead character forward, not real time.
    And most successful comic characters have followed this model. Marvel: Spider-Man, etc...

"Real time" and the fans clamoring for it, would have long ago tanked or ended the industry, and all the huge successful franchises built on it's "sliding-time" scale.
    Only example I can think of a successful long running franchise with consistant legacy characters.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JoJo...arre_Adventure