Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Fleer Ultra X-Men 2018 cards.

There might already be a thread about these, but a search yielded nothing.

Has anyone actually seen these out in the world? They're supposed to have already been released but I don't see them anywhere. When I look online, I only see them being sold by the box for over a hundred dollars. I really just wanted to buy a couple of packs, relive some nostalgia and then go from there.

There's actually a certain irony to this. Because I remember when I was growing up in the '90s, the trading cards (as well as the toys, pogs, etc) were easier to find than the actual comics.

I saw a box for under $150, but there are only 12 packs in a box and 6 cards in a pack. The base set is 150 cards. This will be expensive to complete.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by autbey View Post
    I saw a box for under $150, but there are only 12 packs in a box and 6 cards in a pack. The base set is 150 cards. This will be expensive to complete.
    That's the thing. I'm not sure I want to complete it. If my sense of nostalgia is sated after opening a couple of packs, then I'd rather not have 10 more packs on hand.

I haven’t seen any packs either. Selling them online by the box at a steep price seems like a strange and counterproductive way to market a product. And that’s a shame, because the art seems to be very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Yer bonkers and you need a sandwich.

And who doesn’t want a whole series of cards where Deadpool gives you a tour of the world?

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Oh, this is happening? Great marketing Marvel... I haven't heard about or seen any sign of this since it was rumored. But 150 for 12 packs is ridiculous. Nuh uh.

Update: yeah, I haven't found anything less than $130+ a box, rounds out to about $11 per pack. I'll pass.
    Last edited by donpricetag; 07-08-2018 at 10:27 AM.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Oh, this is happening? Great marketing Marvel... I haven't heard about or seen any sign of this since it was rumored. But 150 for 12 packs is ridiculous. Nuh uh.

Update: yeah, I haven't found anything less than $130+ a box, rounds out to about $11 per pack. I'll pass.
    That is steep. I find that particularly troubling because when I was a kid, collecting trading cards and reading the profiles on the backs were how I got caught up on who all the X-Men were. So, you'd think that would be factored into their production and pricing. That kids might want to buy these too.

Let's see. A quick search reveals that a pack of Pokemon cards costs somewhere between three and five dollars. So, that would be at least six dollars more than a pack of Pokemon cards. And these are just collectible cards with profiles and text. They don't have the game aspect to draw out additional value. That is troubling.

Twitter: @theprattlp donpricetag's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    That is steep. I find that particularly troubling because when I was a kid, collecting trading cards and reading the profiles on the backs were how I got caught up on who all the X-Men were. So, you'd think that would be factored into their production and pricing. That kids might want to buy these too.

Let's see. A quick search reveals that a pack of Pokemon cards costs somewhere between three and five dollars. So, that would be at least six dollars more than a pack of Pokemon cards. And these are just collectible cards with profiles and text. They don't have the game aspect to draw out additional value. That is troubling.
    Fact that the art is so 90s-esk, I think they are trying to endear to their prime audience, but I don't think anyone outside of a convention is going to start buying these in the numbers they'd like. I doubt we're going to be out here trading with each other. In a 150 set and only yielding 72 cards in a box, to even have a chance at collecting all the cards you'd have to buy at least 3 boxes (aka around and beyond $400)! LOL GTHO Marvel Entertainment.
    Guild Member
    Realistically speaking about fictional matters. | Nutcases need not respond. | Stay outta my DMs. | Why does the "House of Ideas" keep duplicating characters?! | If an idea or belief cannot stand up to criticism it's probably... bad.

I'll have to see whether they're at my LCS. They often have cards. I suspect the Amazon price isn't reflecting their MSRP, but rather what scalpers are trying to get for them.

Alternatively, I may pick up a few I like on Ebay. Cards from the base set seem to go for a reasonable price there.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by donpricetag View Post
    Fact that the art is so 90s-esk, I think they are trying to endear to their prime audience, but I don't think anyone outside of a convention is going to start buying these in the numbers they'd like. I doubt we're going to be out here trading with each other. In a 150 set and only yielding 72 cards in a box, to even have a chance at collecting all the cards you'd have to buy at least 3 boxes (aka around and beyond $400)! LOL GTHO Marvel Entertainment.
    I get that trading cards in general, and X-Men cards in specific, are a bit of a throwback to the '90s. I do. Nowadays you can get a lot of that information from the backs of the cards on the internet. But kids still like collecting things. They still like the surprise of blind bagged toys and trinkets (trading card packs were practically the original blind bags). It just seems weird to rely on a bunch of 30-something dudes and ladies to support your trading card sales. I get it for the statues and even some of the ultra-detailed action figures. But trading cards?!

Mighty Member

I thought I heard this wasgoing to be selling in comic stores. Why aren't they selling in comic stores

BANNED

My girls:

... and personal, X-triumvirate. So obviously, the 3 most sought after, for me. 8D
    Last edited by Heroine Addict; 07-08-2018 at 07:50 PM.

These cards are amazing. Jubilee’s might be my favorite!

I LOVE these! Miss my old X-Men card collection.

I want more! mooooore! :-)