Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

After reading Metal and No Justice, I feel like Snyder is gonna just all these new and large concepts at us and not give a good resolution. Tbh, I think too many thing are happening at once, but it's nice that other people are liking it.

Niffleheim

deleted.
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-09-2018 at 11:21 PM. Reason: petty post

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    I hate these over reaching grand storylines that are short on human interest and require an NFL playbook to understand. I just want to pick up a book, read it and understand what is happening. For a fantasy to be enjoyable, it has to be trick the reader into believing that it is possible and real, other wise it just breaks down. And this book seems like it requires a ton of reading backstories from DC in order to understand it.
    Agreed 1000%.

I miss Geoff Johns on Justice League... That book was perfect for a guy like me, coming back to DC after decades away from it. I loved every issue of that, even the much despised Origin story.

Compared to that, this book is a hot mess.

So far so good. Sure, the book is full of high-concepts which seems rather strange at first and crazy ideas. But Snyder is really great at crafting those, even if he his somewhat lacking in explaining them clearly or making the best use of it. But it doesn't stop me from loving his books, and JL is no exception, because of all the tools he add to the DCU. The Dark Multiverse wasn't really explained and expanded upon iun Metal ? Sideways, Curse of Brimstone, New Challengers and The Unexpected seems poised to play heavily with it, each in its unique way so far, while the BWL is stirring **** up with the Immortals in Immortal Men.

As for the JL, he basically gave each character a great spotlight potential. You're unhappy that Cyborg is always in the shadows of rehashing the "man vs machine" plot point ? Well, he'll be leading a crazy team in Deep Space, under the umbrella of the wider JL and still be able to boom tube in the nick of time to save the day on Earth. How cool is that !? Snyder is clearly enjoying writing each of those characters, heroes and villains alike, and uses his position to build something any following writer could easily use in their JL run : the Hall of Justice and its hidden doors and places, the expanding roster à la JLU, etc.

It's really worth it so far.
    Last edited by Korath; 07-10-2018 at 01:04 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    So far so good. Sure, the book is full of high-concepts which seems rather strange at first and crazy ideas. But Snyder is really great at crafting those, even if he his somewhat lacking in explaining them clearly or making the best use of it. But it doesn't stop me from loving his books, and JL is no exception, because of all the tools he had to the DCU. The Dark Multiverse wasn't really explained and expanded upon iun Metal ? Sideways, Curse of Brimstone, New Challengers and The Unexpected seems poised to play heavily with it, each in its unique way so far, while the BWL is stirring sit up with the Immortals in Immortal Men.

As for the JL, he basically gave each character a great spotlight potential. You're unhappy that Cyborg is always in the shadows of rehashing the "man vs machine" plot point ? Well, he'll be leading a crazy team in Deep Space, under the umbrella of the wider JL and still be able to boom tube in the nick of time to save the day on Earth. How cool is that !? Snyder is clearly enjoying writing each of those characters, heroes and villains alike, and uses his position to build something any following writer could easily use in their JL run : the Hall of Justice and its hidden doors and places, the expanding roster à la JLU, etc.

It's really worth it so far.
    I really agree with your first paragraph. I don't need everything being explained to me all at once. Leave people something to look forward to.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Agreed 1000%.

I miss Geoff Johns on Justice League... That book was perfect for a guy like me, coming back to DC after decades away from it. I loved every issue of that, even the much despised Origin story.

Ha, I feel the opposite, actually. Outside of Darkseid War and Throne of Atlantis Johns never really impressed me on the book. It was decent-to-good, but other than those two stories, never great. And I still take great issue with Superman being made a violent god of strength under Johns' pen. That was easily the laziest thing I've ever seen him write. I feel like Snyder gave us bigger, cooler ideas within his first five pages than Johns was able to pull together in his whole series.

But I'm glad you enjoyed his run. And I'm sure, as I said before, that down the road the League will roll around to a creative team more to your liking.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I recently told someone else that Comics always change -- and that is true! Meanwhile, I am enjoying Mr Miracle. Enjoy the JLA run
    Ah, Mister Miracle has got to be the best comic on the stands right now! Huge, huge fan of that run. I never would've thought to take this kind of approach with the New Gods, but it's such a great, weird fit. I love it!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It's the very first time I'm giving JL a read and I'm really enjoying it. I absolutely LOVE the huge, overblown storytelling concept. That said, I absolutely HATE that we are getting different artists each arc. I knew Jim Cheung was not going to last more than one issue, but I expected Jorge Jimenez to be on for longer than three. And why is James Tynion IV writing issue five? Is Snyder off the book, already?

I LOATHE the creative inconsistency from DC nowadays. And as much as I'm enjoying it thus far, if the inconsistency persists I will drop it without a second thought.

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    Agreed 1000%.

Ditto. This run already reminds me (albeit to a lesser extent) of Hickman's convoluted Avengers run, which I hated.

I'll give it one more issue, but personally I want to just enjoy reading books like Justice League and Avengers, not wrestle to merely understand them.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Don't you mean that "In your opinion, it is maddening."
    No, that is a consensus.

Never mind, not worth it. Deleted so as not to get crossways with another poster.
    Last edited by BatmanJones; 07-10-2018 at 05:32 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Black Hand.

Neron.

The Batman Who Laughs.

Granny Goodness.

Zoom.

Anton Arcane.

Solaris.

Ganthet.

Any one of these characters would be a total surprise on the Legion of Doom, and they're all powerful enough to give even this League a good fight.
    Eh, those would certainly be neat to see at some point, but when you specifically think the League's opposite numbers, none of those except Zoom really spring to mind for an evil version of the League. We've never really gotten anything like this in canon except for sort of in McDuffie's run, and that fizzled out to nothing. It seems like creators like to think outside the box with the LOD line ups, but the end result always falls short compared to the Justice Leaguers they are going up against.

Very few fans except for a vocal minority ever truly get sick of seeing Bats and Supes interact on a team, why not just cut the bullshit and set up Lex and Joker on the evil side against them? Though Batman Who Laughs will likely have some involvement with the LOD if solicits are any indication, and who knows? Maybe the lineup will expand.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Though Batman Who Laughs will likely have some involvement with the LOD if solicits are any indication,
    Is he? I missed that. Boy's getting around; Justice League and Immortal Men and, I think, another title as well?

and who knows? Maybe the lineup will expand.
    I think it's going to have to. The League roster might look like it's only 9 people but it seems clear this is far closer to the DCAU where virtually *everyone* is a League member. I mean, we've got Batman using Swamp Thing just to make a long-distance call. We've got Mr. Terrific on house-call duty, and we've seen several heroes helping out in the first issue.

The Legion of Doom, with the roster we've seen so far, can't compete with that.

Also, I just listed those characters because they're powerhouse villains who'd be a surprise reveal for the team. I wasn't actually thinking of them as replacing anyone on the current LoD roster.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's the very first time I'm giving JL a read and I'm really enjoying it. I absolutely LOVE the huge, overblown storytelling concept. That said, I absolutely HATE that we are getting different artists each arc. I knew Jim Cheung was not going to last more than one issue, but I expected Jorge Jimenez to be on for longer than three. And why is James Tynion IV writing issue five? Is Snyder off the book, already?

I LOATHE the creative inconsistency from DC nowadays. And as much as I'm enjoying it thus far, if the inconsistency persists I will drop it without a second thought.
    Tynion will be writing the issues focusing on Lex recruiting Cheetah, Manta, Grodd, Sinestro, and Joker to the Legion.

BANNED

No, that is a consensus.
    boy does your attitude reek of hypocrisy . kidding you but you do make mountains out of molehills to the point that another poster just has to apologise for posting his thoughts. you are not the mod and can't decide how things should work here.