Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Snyder's Justice League: Thoughts So Far. (Spoilers)

I finally made it to my LCS yesterday and got my copy of Justice League #3 (several days late, but better than never).

And I'm surprised to see so little commentary about the book here. I jumped back a few pages and didn't see a single thread about the title in general or the latest issue. Snyder's a polarizing writer, but he definitely pulls a lot of attention and some very strong reactions among fandom, so where's all the noise about his JL?

I gotta say, the guy didn't always impress me on Batman but his Justice League has the kind of crazy huge ideas and high octane imagination that I demand from a proper League title. This book feels like the anthem rock version of Morrison's JLA: it's big, loud, dumb, and nothing but raw fun. Snyder might not work in the stuff pulled from the latest scientific journals the way Morrison did, but Snyder's aiming just as high and throwing out ideas just as wild and fantastical.

Issue 3 really impressed me; Snyder's got a lot going on; several plots running concurrently and tons of characters in the mix, and he seems to be juggling them all fairly well so far. I like that Snyder is using a DCAU approach, where every hero can potentially show up and help out, and the core roster is one of the best I've seen since McDuffie. Not every core member is getting an awesome moment in every issue, but no one really feels left out either.

Everything about this issue satisfied me, from the flashback to Sinestro's origin to Cyborg's awesome last-second save (a personal favorite moment) to Clark and J'onn's journey through the Totality and the mini-Source Wall at its center. And Hawkgirl being trapped in a small, confined ship with Joker? I can't wait to see how that plays out!

Really, the only things I have here are nitpicks; John Stewart wasn't wearing the DCAU costume when Xanshi was destroyed, the emotional spectrum wasn't discovered until Sinestro Corps War, etc. But really, those are just tiny details and with continuity so screwed up you can't even hold these things against Snyder, since there is no actual, concrete history to the DCU right now.

So what say you, CBR community? Is Justice League entertaining you as much as it is me? What do we expect to see going forward? What're your thoughts?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

<<And I'm surprised to see so little commentary about the book here. >>

I posted a thread here that was very negative and maybe the moderators decided that it was too rough, but I'll say that I am very very unhappy with this books. I read #1 and I found the storyline incoherent, vague, jumping around without anything holding the different threads together.

I just didn't like it at all, and it worries me that the JLA is the DC universes main cinematic venture. I would not do this like this. I would produce a self-contained, tighter and coherent storyline. I disliked it to my bones.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 07-08-2018 at 08:54 AM.

I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far. It is a bit jumpy and has an issue with the plot not really being where it probably should be three issues in, but that's just an issue with a biweekly comic. The core story is super fun and Snyder has a good grasp on all the characters. What's really winning me over, though, is how BIG it's making the DC Universe feel. It gives me a similar feeling to the comics that were out around Infinite Crisis, when I started reading comics for the first time. It's also been pretty good at giving all the characters the right amount of spotlight, a very DCAU trick as the OP mentioned.

Niffleheim

I'm a Marvelitte through and through but Justice League is the only book that i consistently pick up from DC and since Darkseid War there hasn't been anything of interest from this IP until now - Hitch and Priest were a bore. Yep, i'm loving Snyder's ideas so far and even if the story doesn't land in the end at least he is reaching for the stars and i'm not bored out of my mind. The line-up is great too
    Last edited by Tofali; 07-08-2018 at 10:03 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I finally made it to my LCS yesterday and got my copy of Justice League #3 (several days late, but better than never).

And I'm surprised to see so little commentary about the book here. I jumped back a few pages and didn't see a single thread about the title in general or the latest issue. Snyder's a polarizing writer, but he definitely pulls a lot of attention and some very strong reactions among fandom, so where's all the noise about his JL?

I gotta say, the guy didn't always impress me on Batman but his Justice League has the kind of crazy huge ideas and high octane imagination that I demand from a proper League title. This book feels like the anthem rock version of Morrison's JLA: it's big, loud, dumb, and nothing but raw fun. Snyder might not work in the stuff pulled from the latest scientific journals the way Morrison did, but Snyder's aiming just as high and throwing out ideas just as wild and fantastical.

Issue 3 really impressed me; Snyder's got a lot going on; several plots running concurrently and tons of characters in the mix, and he seems to be juggling them all fairly well so far. I like that Snyder is using a DCAU approach, where every hero can potentially show up and help out, and the core roster is one of the best I've seen since McDuffie. Not every core member is getting an awesome moment in every issue, but no one really feels left out either.

Everything about this issue satisfied me, from the flashback to Sinestro's origin to Cyborg's awesome last-second save (a personal favorite moment) to Clark and J'onn's journey through the Totality and the mini-Source Wall at its center. And Hawkgirl being trapped in a small, confined ship with Joker? I can't wait to see how that plays out!

Really, the only things I have here are nitpicks; John Stewart wasn't wearing the DCAU costume when Xanshi was destroyed, the emotional spectrum wasn't discovered until Sinestro Corps War, etc. But really, those are just tiny details and with continuity so screwed up you can't even hold these things against Snyder, since there is no actual, concrete history to the DCU right now.

So what say you, CBR community? Is Justice League entertaining you as much as it is me? What do we expect to see going forward? What're your thoughts?
    I'm glad you said this. This pretty much how I view the comic. I remember an old interview with Morrison about JLA and he said that he was writing the comic in a manner where there was an interesting idea on almost every page and it looks like Scott is attempting to a similar thing...just several crazy things going on at once. And while I don't think that the current series is up to Grant's standard (yet), I am enjoying it more than the Avengers that has similar concepts going on ( but I like it as well).

BANNED

3 issues in I find it a bit heavy to read. It's wordy in a typical Snyder fashion but clearly he also references a lot of stuff from DC's past and I'm just not familiar with all of it nor am I even all that interested.

If I'm comparing this to Aaron's current Avengers run, that is clearly more entertaining and fresh to me.

Giving JL few more issues but right now I'm thinking about dropping it...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm liking it a lot so far. This may be shaping up to be the best JL run since Morrison.

I like that he’s made Cyborg pretty bad ass. Last issue he Boomed in from across the galaxy and saved the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I like that he’s made Cyborg pretty bad ass. Last issue he Boomed in from across the galaxy and saved the day.
    That was probably the biggest highlight for me out of the whole issue. I love Cyborg and it's a rare treat to see him written at the level you'd expect from someone with his experience and powerset. DC itself seems to forget, but by giving Vic that Mother Box for a heart, they made him one of the most powerful people on earth (potentially. When they remember that New God tech can do more than teleport Vic's team mates around). I loved seeing him one-shot John after Mr. Stewart (another favorite of mine) beat the hell out of three of the League's toughest.

Someone also compared this to Aaron's Avengers, and I gotta say Justice League is far more exciting and interesting and big. No offense to Aaron; I've enjoyed his Thor since God of Thunder and I'm enjoying his Avengers. But Marvel's mightiest aren't grabbing me like the League is right now. The threat of the dark Celestials feels....redundant. I'm not getting that vibe from JL, which is probably a little ironic since we're dealing with more Lantern colors and Speed Force shenanigans.

I agree with the complaints that JL is jumping around a lot and feels a little disjointed in places, but I'm chalking that up to it being early in the story. I suspect everything will tie together by the arc's end and things will start to feel smoother. And I'm still a little bothered by the cracked continuity......but I can hardly blame Snyder for a few history gaffs when the entire DCU is one giant murky ball of "who the f**k knows what continuity looks like!" right now.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Best JL in a goodly while. (Johns' New 52 run was a total treat but it feels forever ago after Bryan Hitch.) Best thing Snyder's written in a long time, maybe since Black Mirror for my money. I've been really pleasantly surprised. Not typically a great Snyder fan but I love what he's doing here.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm liking it a lot so far. This may be shaping up to be the best JL run since Morrison.
    "Shaping up" is the key phrase here. It's Snyder lol. Grand ideas with poor executions is him all day long.

#1-2 wasn't bad by any means but not enough to keep me reading twice monthly and at 3.99...
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Spectacular Member

I have absolutely loved this series and new approach. I have been reading Justice League since the Detroit era and have consistently followed through the good and bad (as I have with the Avengers).
    I think that Snyder is building towards something big, much like Morrison was.
    Potentially one of the greatest runs, in my opinion.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

It's not perfect, but it's the first time in awhile that I've enjoyed reading a JL book so for now that's good enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    "Shaping up" is the key phrase here. It's Snyder lol. Grand ideas with poor executions is him all day long.

#1-2 wasn't bad by any means but not enough to keep me reading twice monthly and at 3.99...
    Very true. Snyder has some great ideas but he often doesn’t stick the landing.

Mighty Member

We REALLY have to stop comparing everything a writer does against Morrison. I don't even think it's fair to say Morrison's run on JLA is the best, that literally negates every other writer over the years that have bought something to the team over the years. Scott Snyder's is off to a great start. But for me it's only three issues in, so you have to give it more time to marinate.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K