Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    The consensus doesn't matter to me. If i liked something, then everything else is irrelevant.
    As it should always be.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    As it should always be.
    Thanks. I'm always going to go with my gut and follow the beat of my own drum. What a lot of people are complaining about doesn't make sense to me. (sigh I'm right?) They say Justice League is too epic but then they say that Priest's run was not epic enough. It's confusing to me. The fact that Snyder's run seems to be a slow burn with epic moments on between is enough to be keep me engaged. (Oh right.....imo. Almost forgot that)
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    Thanks. I'm always going to go with my gut and follow the beat of my own drum. What a lot of people are complaining about doesn't make sense to me. (sigh I'm right?) They say Justice League is too epic but then they say that Priest's run was not epic enough. It's confusing to me. The fact that Snyder's run seems to be a slow burn with epic moments on between is enough to be keep me engaged. (Oh right.....imo. Almost forgot that)
    Agreed, I wouldn't say this makes sense. When you have all these particular characters together, you have to go big or go home.

It's why I didn't get the complaints about the Legion of Doom lineup, as some said it was too predictable and boring. Who else would be on the team to warrant the attention?

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Agreed, I wouldn't say this makes sense. When you have all these particular characters together, you have to go big or go home.

It's why I didn't get the complaints about the Legion of Doom lineup, as some said it was too predictable and boring. Who else would be on the team to warrant the attention?
    Black Hand.

Neron.

The Batman Who Laughs.

Granny Goodness.

Zoom.

Anton Arcane.

Solaris.

Ganthet.

Any one of these characters would be a total surprise on the Legion of Doom, and they're all powerful enough to give even this League a good fight.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

"in my opinion" or "I think" is implied. Without that every post would require an "IMO" and that would be maddening.

No it is not implied when someone is thumping their chest and saying absolutes. It is not maddening to have courtesy, or more importantly, having room for someone else's opinion. It is the requirement for decent conversation.

Saying, "If i liked something, then everything else is irrelevant." shuts down discussion and is frankly arrogant. Saying, "Green Fudge is the best comic ever" is not the same as saying, "I love Green Fudge comics" and it is an absolute statement that should have a consensus, which it doesn't have. So otherwise you are implying anyone who disagrees with it is a jerk.

The venue has nothing to do with these basic rules of digital communication. It is not fun to have someone say that your opinion sucks and your a jerk, whether outwardly of implied.

THAT is maddening. A little respect for others is never maddening.

BANNED

As it should always be.
    not really.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm surprised to see people saying they're not following the story. I thought it was pretty clear? Morrison, Snyder isn't (though he is trying to channel that madness here, which I support). Maybe I've just been simplifying things, but this is how I've taken some of the points that're being brought up.
    It is not clear because the story is not explained. And since it wasn't explained and it was just fluff, I didn't pick up a second issue.

Do you mean the first issue, where we saw the Totality
    I don't know what a totality is and it wasn't explained, so it was a wash.

in several different timeframes (Kamandi, 853rd century, etc)? Because I simply took that to show that the Totality is beyond the physics of space-time that everything inside the Source Wall follows. The Totality was in all times (or at least multiple ones) as it traveled to earth because it comes from a place that doesn't play by any of the cosmic rules we've ever seen.
    It just caused confusion and it wasn't clearly connected to anything at all. No explanation was given. it was just random things jumping around a 23 page story.

None of that was, in my mind, unnecessary. It's very carefully placed "flavor text" that actually helps the narrative by illustrating the size and scope and reach of the League. It's a show of wealth; even their headquarters is made of alien stone and invisible doors. That whole thing was designed to tell readers that this isn't just nine super-people working together; this is the fulcrum of the entire DC Universe, with all of its richness and history surrounding it.
    I see no need for it and in fact, find the self-aggrandizement of the Justice League to be counter to its character and it makes following them less enjoyable. Maybe humble is not in the current generation, but Superman would never go around finding alien stone to decorate the Justice League head quarters to make people feel in awe of it. Being in a Satellite wasn't cool enough? Seriously, if this is what the Justice League is now about, I'm not interested in reading about them, let alone wasting 2 pages of story to uselessly discuss it.

This is not the kind of writing I enjoy. Supposedly everyone reading the Justice league knows who they are, Superman, WW< Batman, GL, etc..

This one I don't get at all. Other than *maybe* a power increase with his shape-shifting (not that J'onn hasn't turned gigantic before) he's not doing anything here we haven't seen him do in Morrison's JLA or the JLU cartoon or his own titles. Granted, he's got a bigger role now than he has in the last few years, but just showing up at all is a bigger role than he's had in the last few years.
    The idea that Jozz Jozz can now interconnect telepathically with all the members and create a virtual reality that they can call connect through, forming a new reality that they all experience, is extremely powerful and a major increase in the power of that character. Even Hector Hannable can't do that.

Again, I thought it was fairly simple? Stuff from the other side of the Wall is spilling into "our" reality through the hole the League made.
    none of that is understandable nor was it explained. And FWIW, the last I read of the source wall was a story with with Superman and the New Gods done by Jim Starlin.

New physics. New energies. New laws of nature.
    Seems to me like a cheap way to make a story and it is incoherent, not that it was even explained in the first issue.

I suggest the patch the wall and so back to mining alian rocks for their headquarters.

The still force spilled into our multiversal structure first. That makes some sense (as much as any of this does)
    I hate these over reaching grand storylines that are short on human interest and require an NFL playbook to understand. I just want to pick up a book, read it and understand what is happening. For a fantasy to be enjoyable, it has to be trick the reader into believing that it is possible and real, other wise it just breaks down. And this book seems like it requires a ton of reading backstories from DC in order to understand it. If so, they are locking new readers out of the book, and I chose not to read much of that material when the new 52 came out. Since Crisis of Infinite Earths came out, it seems that DC does this over and over again every few years.. after a few times it gets boring. throw in a few more GL color wars, and necro implosions and poof... who knows what is going on! I don't even know who Superman is anymore!

In Superman #52 (May 2016) Superman is killed by kryptonite poisoning, and this time he is not resurrected, but replaced by the Superman of an alternate timeline. (In a story called "Superman Reborn" [Action Comics #975-976, Superman #18-19 (May 2017)], these two versions of Superman are later merged into a single version with a new history.)
    Really, DC has made a huge mess of its entire continuity and book, IMO, is just going to vomit all over the entire line up without even producing any decent storylines.

They must feel they have an audience. I've been reading these books since the 1960's so I have a longer view of things.

If you feel that this is exciting, I just don't understand what you find attractive about this. Perhaps this is a fault in my understanding of others. But I can't find anything redeeming about this book. I won't read this book and I hope it doesn't spill over to other titles, or I will just take a long hiatus from DC and read something better.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 07-09-2018 at 07:14 PM.

This is my top peeve. If someone says something on a fan BBS the "in my opinion" or "I think" is implied. Without that every post would require an "IMO" and that would be maddening. Of course it's the person's opinion if the person wrote it. Who else's opinion would it be? Is someone confusing opinion with fact? Because that would be ridiculous. So the IMO is unnecessary and redundant. Always.
    Well stated

Spectacular Member

In my opinion, the Totality is very intriguing and I want to find out exactly what it is. In my opinion, I love all the blocks of text; it adds texture and substance to the pictures (also more to read and more bang for my buck, imo). In my opinion, everything seems to be building to something epic and in my opinion making a lot of world building. In my opinion, there seems to be a greater plot planned out. Also loved the Totality being seen from all different time periods, which wasn't a wash, but very interesting. In my opinion, all this Metal stuff acts as an awesome, spiritual follow-up to all of Grant Morrison's body of work (at least in feel). oh...and that's my opinion.

This is the first book I've bought from DC in years. I had a blast reading it. Excited for the next issue to come out.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    If you feel that this is exciting, I just don't understand what you find attractive about this. Perhaps this is a fault in my understanding of others. But I can't find anything redeeming about this book. I won't read this book and I hope it doesn't spill over to other titles, or I will just take a long hiatus from DC and read something better.
    Eh, different strokes for different folks, and all that. Personally, I don't find any of it confusing or hard to follow. And I'm having a blast with the concepts being thrown around, even if what has leaked through the Source Wall isn't weird enough for me, personally. >shrug<

Hopefully you'll find something else more to your tastes. And eventually I'm sure the League will roll around to something more to your style. It always does, in the end.

Until then, I'm gonna enjoy this ride. Because this is the most fun I've had with a DC title in a long time. Snyder is still Snyder, and I never would've expected to be enjoying his take on the League, but I'll be damned if this isn't just hitting most of the right notes for me.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tetragrammar View Post
    In my opinion, the Totality is very intriguing and I want to find out exactly what it is. In my opinion, I love all the blocks of text; it adds texture and substance to the pictures (also more to read and more bang for my buck, imo). In my opinion, everything seems to be building to something epic and in my opinion making a lot of world building. In my opinion, there seems to be a greater plot planned out. Also loved the Totality being seen from all different time periods, which wasn't a wash, but very interesting. In my opinion, all this Metal stuff acts as an awesome, spiritual follow-up to all of Grant Morrison's body of work (at least in feel). oh...and that's my opinion.

My cup runeth over..

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Until then, I'm gonna enjoy this ride. Because this is the most fun I've had with a DC title in a long time. Snyder is still Snyder, and I never would've expected to be enjoying his take on the League, but I'll be damned if this isn't just hitting most of the right notes for me.

I recently told someone else that Comics always change -- and that is true! Meanwhile, I am enjoying Mr Miracle. Enjoy the JLA run

Mighty Member

No it is not implied when someone is thumping their chest and saying absolutes. It is not maddening to have courtesy, or more importantly, having room for someone else's opinion. It is the requirement for decent conversation.

Saying, "If i liked something, then everything else is irrelevant." shuts down discussion and is frankly arrogant. Saying, "Green Fudge is the best comic ever" is not the same as saying, "I love Green Fudge comics" and it is an absolute statement that should have a consensus, which it doesn't have. So otherwise you are implying anyone who disagrees with it is a jerk.

The venue has nothing to do with these basic rules of digital communication. It is not fun to have someone say that your opinion sucks and your a jerk, whether outwardly of implied.

I think you're reading too much into things. I explained to BatmanJones why Snyder's Justice League works for me. I also see hints of other runs in his work too, not just Morrison.

I always keep the opinions of others in mind. But at the same time I don't let it distract me or keep me from checking things out. For example people told me to stay away from Earth 2: World's End. I took what they said into consideration but at the end of the day. I still gave it a read regardless and made the decision for myself because I'm a huge JSA fan. Honestly I didn't this would be such a sensitive topic. Sorry.
    Last edited by Raijin; 07-09-2018 at 07:53 PM.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Mighty Member

Don't you mean that "In your opinion, it is maddening."
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers