Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ngroove View Post
    What this thread comes down to, nevertheless is yet another "this Joker" vs "my (whoever one subjectively believes is "my") Joker". Another thread on essentially saying, "Joker has to be a super-scary killer of children" or "no way".
    I think you rushed to that conclusion. So far, it has been about also appreciating Romero, and most comments seem to agree about that. Only your comment polarizes. However, I have to agree that "Not that bad" was a poor choice of words (to quote another Joker).

I agree that Romero's Joker was incredibly faithful to the comic version of the time. In fact, the entire series was. Unlike the Riddler and the Penguin, the Joker evolved really fast to the point that he started having that duality thing with Batman.

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

I think Richard Widmark in Kiss of Death is the best Joker ever (and it's intentional) but Romero rocks the role and really did carve his take in some undeniable sort of stone.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by t hedge coke View Post
    I think Richard Widmark in Kiss of Death is the best Joker ever (and it's intentional) but Romero rocks the role and really did carve his take in some undeniable sort of stone.
    Well, then Sean Connery is the best Bruce Wayne.
    I didn't know about Widmark until today, you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberLotus View Post
    Romero always nailed a real air of charisma that I felt neither Nicholson nor Ledger quite got. Sure, a lot of his screentime was hyperactive screeching, but when he calmed down, he had a gentle, almost grandfatherly sort of air to him (not surprising, since Romero was pushing 60 when he played the Joker) that just made you want to trust him, even though he's a totally ruthless supervillain who poisons 15-year-old girls for kicks. Note that in the movie, the other villains depend on him to interact with the Navy admiral and keep the guy happy and clueless.
    I'm watching The Joker Goes to School, the way he attracts Sussie to his cause reminds me a lot of Harley.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rafa-Rivas-2099 View Post
    I'm watching The Joker Goes to School, the way he attracts Sussie to his cause reminds me a lot of Harley.
    True, but it's all trumped later on by "Pop Goes the Joker/Flop Goes the Joker", whose Baby-Jane Towser predicted Harley in a downright eerie fashion.

Hi, new to these parts, just wanted to add my 2 cents.
    Romero is my all-time favorite Joker but I appreciate and have watched others in the part. At the end of the day, the Joker is iconic and I feel Romero nailed it. He defnitely was into what he did I think, and who says the character of the Joker should be serious and exceptionally cruel all of the time? Romero's take was closer to what the comics were doing at the time, and it was some years before they made the Joker 100% irreemable with later interpretations. Thanks for reading.

Fantastic Member

I'll just put it this way:

If an actor came long today and brought to life a comic book character as accurately and completely as Romero embodied the Joker of the time, fanboys would be bowing down at their feet. For the Joker as he was during that timeframe, Romero was fantastic.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by CapeandCowl View Post
    Hi, new to these parts, just wanted to add my 2 cents.
    Romero is my all-time favorite Joker but I appreciate and have watched others in the part. At the end of the day, the Joker is iconic and I feel Romero nailed it. He defnitely was into what he did I think, and who says the character of the Joker should be serious and exceptionally cruel all of the time? Romero's take was closer to what the comics were doing at the time, and it was some years before they made the Joker 100% irreemable with later interpretations. Thanks for reading.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmacq1 View Post
    I'll just put it this way:

If an actor came long today and brought to life a comic book character as accurately and completely as Romero embodied the Joker of the time, fanboys would be bowing down at their feet. For the Joker as he was during that timeframe, Romero was fantastic.
    I think the problem was the following: At some point, likeley the 70s, people (likely O'Neil) started claiming that Batman shouldn't be campy and blaming it on the show, which was actually a faithful representation of the Gardner Fox style of the time, which was actually a lot more serious than the 50s stuff, and only slightly less serious than the 40s stuff (which was clearly more violent). The silly stuff was started by Finger himself, so the concept of a revival to an original, dark concept is absurd.

I prefer Batman when the tone is similar to the 70s stuff or BTAS, I take dark if it's good (Miller, Moore, Grant-Breyfogle and sometimes Morrison) and I have a soft spot for campy, albeit I find it hard to read (the pacing is hard to take for me).

Richard Widmark was the inspiration for Gorshin's Riddler oddly enough. He was the most sinister of all the villains to me. I saw the series a few years ago & thought it was extremely faithful to the comics of the time. Everyone looks "right". I loved the Riddler's suit! That may have been an innovation of the show. Romero nailed what the Joker was at that time.

I'm a 70's & 80's Batman guy myself.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

Cesar Romero is my favorite live-action Joker!
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Yay! Mine too! I wonder, does anybody know if Romero ever commented on other Jokers? Like Jack Nicholson?

Incredible Member

I do have a fond appreciation of Cesar Romero's Joker. I really liked his first appearance on the show. I do remember seeing an interview in 1989 with Cesar Romero about the Joker being the villain in the 1989 Batman movie. All he said was that he was thrilled that they were using The Joker in the the new movie and that Jack Nicholson would be great. It was an interesting year because cast members like Yvonne Craig who played Batgirl said that Michael Keaton was going to do a great job as Batman after seeing the trailer and Burgess Meredith who played The Penguin was at the premiere of the Batman 89 film, there was some tensions with Adam West and WB in that Adam wanted to come back as Batman, but was only offered a cameo as Dr. Thomas Wayne, but declined. I am glad to see however those tensions are gone since Batman 66 has made a come back though DVD's and other merchandise and comics.

''This just hit me the wrong way,'' said Cesar Romero, the former Joker, played in the movie by Jack Nicholson. ''This picture is dreary. The violence in it - good God 3/8''

I remember seeing something like this back in the day. Doesn't detract from his Joker. He just saw it differently. He probably never heard of Batman before he was cast!

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1989/Ce...83432f8e95844b

I'll admit, Cesar's Joker scared the Hell outta me when I was a kid just as Lou Ferrigno as the Hulk scared me, especially the close ups of the Joker in the show proving that clowns are scary. Haha. But yeah, his was faithful to the Joker of that time before they turned him into a serial monster.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister BoMan View Post
    there was some tensions with Adam West and WB in that Adam wanted to come back as Batman, but was only offered a cameo as Dr. Thomas Wayne, but declined.
    Everybody would have loved that cameo!! Julie and Adam should have totally been Martha and Thomas... At least we kinda got to see that in The Brave And the Bold, which, now that you mention it was one of those comeback vehicles, more so than The Batman, I'd say.

Imma let you finish but Conrad Veidt will always be the best live action version of the Joker.

In all seriousness I agree that Cesar Romero was an amazing iteration of the Joker. I think that people really enjoy the gritty modern take on the character but really like to downplay the sheer camp appeal of a Criminal Clown. Not only was Romero's Joker faithful to the source material more importantly he fit the tone and diegesis of the show.
    Last edited by doctormistermaster; 07-28-2014 at 08:34 AM.
    “Nothing is harder to understand than a symbolic work. A symbol always transcends the one who makes use of it and makes him say in reality more than he is aware of expressing.”
    ― Albert Camus