Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
    Wait...the Best Buys around you don't sell CD's any more? At all?

That's odd. The one's near me still do.
    Yea but even the ones that are still rocking with it, the selection has to be shell of what it was not that long ago. I read some news rumblings couple months ago but then a cat had a post on IG that his Best Buy had marked ALL of their CD's down. Just a handful of random old stuff. I went to the one closest to me and they had them all in the back off to tbe side of the store like they was doing folks a favor keeping them around that long. Just a couple of display sections with not that much new and they were all 25% off. Dude told me this was it and they wouldnt be getting neq stock. I had to go to one of our oldest record/used CD/Ticket outlet stores to get what I was looking for and dude sold me a legal download on a disc. If yours still has them it might not be for long.

https://www.google.com/search?q=best...iw=360&bih=560
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    The argument though is that non black people are often put over black people doing said genre. Like the aforementioned Jazmine Sullivan, and Janelle Monae.

People see Lupita, and Denai as outliers. Also the term "light-skin" tends to get VERY broad depending on who you talk to. For the sake of discussion lets look at Rachel Dolezal for a moment. A lot of black people didn't question her race because they admitted to having black women in their family that looked like Rachel. This just added more fuel to the fire that black people are being too inclusive with ambiguously brown people, even if they are family. People like me would probably be seen as a outsider to some African Americans, because i can possibly pass for white i have light green eyes and long raven black hair that's wavy. I guess you can say i also have sharp eurocentric features. My mom has the same features, but my dad was ambiguously brown with light brown eyes. But they'd assure you they're black, and most black people accepted them, but also a lot don't. This is more dicey with black women though. But i have seen it happen with black men too, which this video kinda ties into. But for me my culture is black, i was raised as a black woman, and all i know how to be is black.
    Dolezal is a different case tho. She got skin treatments and changed her hair to pass for black and she was actually profiting off it. But to use that as an excuse to reject lightskin black people seems foolish. I know colorism is an issue but growing up in the city black people tended to blend together. I hear in the South it's different tho. There was a show called a different world back in the day with all shades of black people. We used to say in the 90s "Black is Black" But we've obviously fallen far from that.

I think it's far more common to see actual white people being pushed over blacks in their own genres they have created. I'm more offended when I watch the Disney channel and the white kids are using ebonics and the black kids are in the background all straitlaced and lame. I'd consider someone like DJ Khaled more of a culture vulture. Someone like Bruno doesn't offend me.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    We used to say in the 90s "Black is Black" But we've obviously fallen far from that.
    You have no idea, there's even some who think certain black Africans aren't black enough because their phenotype aren't Afrocentric enough. Then they're those that round it down to specifically dark-skin southern protestant black americans, and everyone else are "outsiders" as Shogun put it.
    Last edited by Emperor-of-Dragons; 07-11-2018 at 05:50 PM.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    You have no idea, there's even some who think certain black Africans aren't black enough because their phenotype aren't Afrocentric enough. Then they're those that round it down to specifically dark-skin southern protestant black americans, and everyone else are "outsiders" as Shogun put it.
    The product of the social media and its corrosive divisive dark side.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Honestly, I try my best to move along when it comes to people like Bruno Mars. Because it's hard to say what I think sometimes without plainly denying perceived implications of hate. I don't hate him because I don't know him, have no reason to hate him, don't care if he makes millions or billions, etc. He's extremely talented in many ways, even though I don't like his voice so I'm reluctant to watch that video. I just get put off by warmed over, phoned in new jack/funk/whatever he apes to mass appeal. Maybe the pop stuff was just a stepping stone and now he's expressing his real tastes, but I'd appreciate it if he went back to "lazy millennial" songs about keeping girls past curfew or existential thoughts during fishing trips or whatever.

If we're talking about the state of appropriation, well, I have to just hang my example on Yo Gotti featuring G-Eazy and having nothing at all for him.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah I remember Cockroach on LC saying something to that effect. "Southern black, real black" It is kinda like wtf? There are some real ignorant ppl out there.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    The product of the social media and its corrosive divisive dark side.
    That definitely plays a part as well. I brought this up in the controversial opinion thread and some people got defensive. But the truth of the matter is that people on social media are toxic, also people who supposedly are "woke", and have a common cause tend to cannibalize each other on social media. It's just toxic, even if they do have good intentions.

You have no idea, there's even some who think certain black Africans aren't black enough because their phenotype aren't Afrocentric enough.
    The thing is these people assume that all mixed black people will turn out like Rashida Jones, or Jennifer Beals. But that's just not true, tons of biracial black people turn out basic brown with Afrocentric features.

Yeah I remember Cockroach on LC saying something to that effect. "Southern black, real black" It is kinda like wtf? There are some real ignorant ppl out there.
    I think the issue is that most american born black folks before they started migrating up north are originally from the black belt/southeast. And there's a lot of truth to that. But most black people up north are second and third generation immigrants (Haitian, Dominicans, other islanders etc), and there's TONS of anti-blackness (in terms of anti-black Americans sentiment) in those other black communities, ESPECIALLY Dominicans. So some black Americans tend to "circle the wagons", and start to be more exclusive.....For better or worse. And once you add in colorism, you have a clusterfuck of issues. Also the black american experience isn't necessarily the same experience of other black people of the African diaspora.
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 07-13-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Also the black american experience isn't necessarily the same experience of other black people of the African diaspora.
    That's a good point

Extraordinary Member

I think the issue is that most american born black folks before they started migrating up north are originally from the black belt/southeast. And there's a lot of truth to that. But most black people up north are second and third generation immigrants (Haitian, Dominicans, other islanders etc), and there's TONS of anti-blackness (in terms of anti-black Americans sentiment) in those other black communities, ESPECIALLY Dominicans. So some black Americans tend to "circle the wagons", and start to be more exclusive.....For better or worse. And once you add in colorism, you have a clusterfuck of issues. Also the black american experience isn't necessarily the same experience of other black people of the African diaspora.
    Yeah I think the negative sentiments flow both ways. Cause we've all been shown the worst images of each other in the media and tend to believe it. It's intersting tho because Amara la Negra was speaking up about discrimination in the hispanic community against Afro-Latinos. But yeah a fkd up situation.

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Yeah I think the negative sentiments flow both ways. Cause we've all been shown the worst images of each other in the media and tend to believe it.
    Of course, but it also becomes a chicken or the egg situation as well. And Latino's have always had issues with their African roots, colorism is pervasive in Latin America.