Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Default So, lets talk Bruno Mars, Culture Vulture or nah?

Found a interesting video discussing this?

My response is; Black people need to support better artists, and we have *A LOT*. But we're too far up Rihanna, and Beyonce's ass, along with those terrible mumble rappers, that aren't even really rappers. Jazmine Sullivan should be HUGE, along with Janelle Monae. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that black people doing authentic R&B and Hip-Hop in it's purest form is seen as "old hat", or "typical". But it's unique when a none black person does it, face it if Adele was black she wouldn't have sold anywhere near the albums she did. I also think that people will tolerate white artists doing black music as long as they don't become too successful, and garner all of the media attention. kinda like Eminem, who has the media drooling over him. Which to be fair made him uncomfortable. Non black POC are in the same boat when they do black music, it's seen as unique. So it's no surprise that Bruno got as huge as he has, mostly by white fans. It's the only part of the video i kinda push back on. I know black people defend Bruno, but are they the main ones buying his music though?
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 07-08-2018 at 08:08 PM.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

The thing is, Eminem, Adele, Maklamore and others, aren't really to blame, it's kinda bigger then them. I do think they take full advantage of their privilege though. Hell Eminem, even acknowledge it publicly so there's that. White people have always tried to repackage black culture in a white, or racially ambiguous package. On the other hand, I'm kinda iffy about who and what is "cultural appropriating", since people aren't on the same page with the definition or who fits the term. I do think Miley Cyrus is good example though.

And i have heard of this YouTuber, she has some....interesting perspectives. lol

Invincible Member

Yeah, I don't think Bruno is the villain. It's more the subtle racism in the entertainment industry and society as a whole.

Extraordinary Member

Eh I think Bruno would get called the N-word if he was in a line up so no. He doesn't exactly come off as non-black to me and he always gives props to the black people and culture that he came up under.

Ultimate Member

Question who propped up Beyonce and that group up in the FIRST place?

Who rushed to put Rhianna in movies?

Who put Savage Black in GQ magazine for photo shoots?

Who makes sure those rappers who you need Lt Uhara to translate what they say get air time on the radio?

Who are the MAIN buyers of rap music?

Who is in charge of what gets shipped to your stores?

Who makes sure those horrible rappers have enough crap to put out nonstop mixtapes? Soulja Boy got more mixtapes than actual albums.

Who makes sure these guys get to be on tv shows? Looking at YOU VH1.

Who makes sure you see these guys? Looking at YOU Lil Twist. No album but always around Justin Beiber and getting gigs on Disney Channel.

When you figure it out-you know who it is.

Jazmine Sullivan should be HUGE, along with Janelle Monae.
    How many stores sell their music?

When Childish Gambino put out his second CD-it was around Black Friday-it was not until Spring Break before I saw a copy in a store.

He's not the only one-Mack Wilds, SWV, Prince, 112 and so many others who KNOW how to sing or rap-never saw their stuff in stores. Yet Niki and friends were there in BULK.

It's SAD I hear BETTER music on NBA 2K games than on certain radio stations. And it's pretty much all the folks with talent on those soundtracks.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Madam-Shogun-Assassin View Post
    Found a interesting video discussing this?

My response is; Black people need to support better artists, and we have *A LOT*. But we're too far up Rihanna, and Beyonce's ass, along with those terrible mumble rappers, that aren't even really rappers. Jazmine Sullivan should be HUGE, along with Janelle Monae. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that black people doing authentic R&B and Hip-Hop in it's purest form is seen as "old hat", or "typical". But it's unique when a none black person does it, face it if Adele was black she wouldn't have sold anywhere near the albums she did. I also think that people will tolerate white artists doing black music as long as they don't become too successful, and garner all of the media attention. kinda like Eminem, who has the media drooling over him. Which to be fair made him uncomfortable. Non black POC are in the same boat when they do black music, it's seen as unique. So it's no surprise that Bruno got as huge as he has, mostly by white fans. It's the only part of the video i kinda push back on. I know black people defend Bruno, but are they the main ones buying his music though?
    Not liking trends in rap because they don't appeal to you doesn't mean that people who do like artists like that have no taste. I can enjoy Kodak Black, Migos, Rihanna and also like listening to Janelle Monae and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If you're upset about Bruno Mars (he's derivative but he's not the only artist like that) why not just talk up the artists you do like and put your friends, fam, hell complete strangers on to that instead?

Hip-hop evolves with each generation and if it quits doing that it will go the way of rock, jazz, etc. where outside of nostalgists and traditionalists no one really pay attention to it. That would be the death of hip-hop. I mean, I hated snap music in high school for the most part but instead of going "oh ugh" I just kept it moving. I thought Kanye West was overrated and even got **** for that too yet look at him now he's turned into a complete joke. Saw that coming when he copped out (pun intended?) and apologized to George W. Bush when they met face to face like a coward.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post

And i have heard of this YouTuber, she has some....interesting perspectives. lol
    Chrissie can be divisive sometimes when it comes to topics about colorism and erasure of dark-skinned black women. Sometimes i agree, other times i have to jump off the bandwagon with how she talk about light-skin black women such as my self.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Yeah, I don't think Bruno is the villain. It's more the subtle racism in the entertainment industry and society as a whole.
    My opinion is pretty much the same. It's kind of a racial quagmire, You want to do Rap/R&B but you have to be careful not to step on toes.

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Eh I think Bruno would get called the N-word if he was in a line up so no. He doesn't exactly come off as non-black to me and he always gives props to the black people and culture that he came up under.
    People have definitely made the argument that he is still seen as a "other" by most white people. Interestingly enough, this is why the one drop rule survives, much to the chagrin of dark skin black women.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    When Childish Gambino put out his second CD-it was around Black Friday-it was not until Spring Break before I saw a copy in a store.

He's not the only one-Mack Wilds, SWV, Prince, 112 and so many others who KNOW how to sing or rap-never saw their stuff in stores. Yet Niki and friends were there in BULK.

It's SAD I hear BETTER music on NBA 2K games than on certain radio stations. And it's pretty much all the folks with talent on those soundtracks.
    The fact that Eminem can still get huge promotions and record sells over black peers with the same skill set is very telling in my opinion. It's REAL easy to prop up Em against a bunch of black dime a dozen no talent mumbling pop-rapers.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Diamond View Post
    Not liking trends in rap because they don't appeal to you doesn't mean that people who do like artists like that have no taste. I can enjoy Kodak Black, Migos, Rihanna and also like listening to Janelle Monae and I'm sure I'm not the only one. If you're upset about Bruno Mars (he's derivative but he's not the only artist like that) why not just talk up the artists you do like and put your friends, fam, hell complete strangers on to that instead?

Hip-hop evolves with each generation and if it quits doing that it will go the way of rock, jazz, etc. where outside of nostalgists and traditionalists no one really pay attention to it. That would be the death of hip-hop. I mean, I hated snap music in high school for the most part but instead of going "oh ugh" I just kept it moving. I thought Kanye West was overrated and even got **** for that too yet look at him now he's turned into a complete joke. Saw that coming when he copped out (pun intended?) and apologized to George W. Bush when they met face to face like a coward.
    Actually, i wasn't judging Bruno one way or the other. I was just bringing up the subject that was being discussed in the video.

Extraordinary Member

People have definitely made the argument that he is still seen as a "other" by most white people. Interestingly enough, this is why the one drop rule survives, much to the chagrin of dark skin black women.

I don't understand the last line. Are you saying dark skin women are mad about the one drop rule?

The fact that Eminem can still get huge promotions and record sells over black peers with the same skill set is very telling in my opinion. It's REAL easy to prop up Em against a bunch of black dime a dozen no talent mumbling pop-rapers.
    Em has been making records back when you could buy CD's at stores. Because I've been looking for a certain CD for the past 2 weeks and Best Buy, Target and Meijer are all out of the CD business. Longevity has it's rewards, dude has been around for 20 years and early on at least exhibited a skill set that was not the same. Eminem has a better skill set than Drake and Drake is like sliced bread if you're only counting streams and ****. He's not Rakim, BIG or 2Pac and he's not the Wu and doesn't profess to be in regards to skill set but after those I don't know how you can't put him right under that. He also doesn't even TRY to be black so

This. Hell, Bruno Mars would be called the N-word for helping an old bat across a street. I won't listen to whomever video is making this claim, of which I think has come up before but why him? He's got some new song that sounds like some **** from 1982. That video with Cardi B used the In Living Color set as a backdrop. He's really occupying his own lane and I don't believe for second he's not a fan of all the funk record music he's has success with. I mean c'mon, he's doing a Morris Day thing and anybody sub-30 years old isn't qualified in my opinion (i.e. this chick from the video) to tell whom is or whom isn't culture poaching. This is all aside the fact that the brotha is Hawaiian and has been performing since he was kid. Lastly all his early records before Uptown Funk were largely ballads? Or at least the one's I was aware of. In my opinion punk-ass Future is a real vulture and his stink is all over other peoples ignorant records including Beyonce.

So, anyway, Bruno Mars, Culture Vulture or nah? I say hell nah.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I don't understand the last line. Are you saying dark skin women are mad about the one drop rule?
    Some are, they believe black people are being too inclusive. And by doing so white people use lightskin black women as a cop-out representation of black women.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Em has been making records back when you could buy CD's at stores. Because I've been looking for a certain CD for the past 2 weeks and Best Buy, Target and Meijer are all out of the CD business. Longevity has it's rewards, dude has been around for 20 years and early on at least exhibited a skill set that was not the same. Eminem has a better skill set than Drake and Drake is like sliced bread if you're only counting streams and ****. He's not Rakim, BIG or 2Pac and he's not the Wu and doesn't profess to be in regards to skill set but after those I don't know how you can't put him right under that. He also doesn't even TRY to be black so

This. Hell, Bruno Mars would be called the N-word for helping an old bat across a street. I won't listen to whomever video is making this claim, of which I think has come up before but why him? He's got some new song that sounds like some **** from 1982. That video with Cardi B used the In Living Color set as a backdrop. He's really occupying his own lane and I don't believe for second he's not a fan of all the funk record music he's has success with. I mean c'mon, he's doing a Morris Day thing and anybody sub-30 years old isn't qualified in my opinion (i.e. this chick from the video) to tell whom is or whom isn't culture poaching. This is all aside the fact that the brotha is Hawaiian and has been performing since he was kid. Lastly all his early records before Uptown Funk were largely ballads? Or at least the one's I was aware of. In my opinion punk-ass Future is a real vulture and his stink is all over other peoples ignorant records including Beyonce.

Lol Yeah. I mean racist white ppl tend to lump us all together it's not like he's passing for white or even could if he tried. I know he came up under Babyface and motown dudes.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    Some are, they believe black people are being too inclusive. And by doing so white people use lightskin black women as a cop-out representation of black women.
    Yeah I remember some sisters were mad about Zoe Saldana playing Nina Simone. But I dunno I can't think of many light skin actresses popular right now. When I think of black actresses now Lupita and the walking dead chick(can't think of her name right now) pop up in my mind.

Lol Yeah. I mean racist white ppl tend to lump us all together it's not like he's passing for white or even could if he tried. I know he came up under Babyface and motown dudes.
    The argument though is that non black people are often put over black people doing said genre. Like the aforementioned Jazmine Sullivan, and Janelle Monae.

When I think of black actresses now Lupita and the walking dead chick(can't think of her name right now) pop up in my mind.
    People see Lupita, and Denai as outliers. Also the term "light-skin" tends to get VERY broad depending on who you talk to. For the sake of discussion lets look at Rachel Dolezal for a moment. A lot of black people didn't question her race because they admitted to having black women in their family that looked like Rachel. This just added more fuel to the fire that black people are being too inclusive with ambiguously brown people, even if they are family. People like me would probably be seen as a outsider to some African Americans, because i can possibly pass for white i have light green eyes and long raven black hair that's wavy. I guess you can say i also have sharp eurocentric features. My mom has the same features, but my dad was ambiguously brown with light brown eyes. But they'd assure you they're black, and most black people accepted them, but also a lot don't. This is more dicey with black women though. But i have seen it happen with black men too, which this video kinda ties into. But for me my culture is black, i was raised as a black woman, and all i know how to be is black.
    Last edited by Madam-Shogun-Assassin; 07-10-2018 at 12:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post

Wait...the Best Buys around you don't sell CD's any more? At all?

That's odd. The one's near me still do.

Also, LOL at the idea that Adele and them are selling to Black Folks like that. The peeps of an age to appreciate "classic" R&B are the same ones who live for the next
    Erikah Badu joint.

It's probably dismissive to say that Adele fans get their R&B fix by going to Starbucks, but its not far from the truth.

Not only is it unfair to assume that a guy like Mars doesn't genuinely love R&B, but its not like peeps are following him like that either.

A quick check of the Billboard charts show that male R&B is mostly Drake dominating, then the Weekend, broken up whenever Childish Gambino decides to drop something.

Whatever complaints about the state of R&B you have Bruno Mars is the least of your worries.

The dude is one CeeLo Green productivity spurt away from being irrelevant (and I am fine with the guy, just saying).