Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

I like Bucky and Florence Pugh's Yelena. Everyone else though....

I was going to say I don't have any special attachment to the Thunderbolts, so it's not an issue for me. And that I really don't understand why it's an issue at all.

Then I remember that f*ing Birds of Prey movie, and I completely understand.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Even the Thunderbolts in the comics evolved from the original premise - look at Thunderbolt Ross's team, or the one Bucky lead. This is one of those instances where you just have to let go of your expectations based on the name and just approach this adaptation as its own thing - or just a new iteration of the team, like when a book relaunches with a new premise.
    I'm right there with ya. That said, I think you're asking a lot from your typical comic fan, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    I don't know if I love or hate that. Florence Pugh can easily make such a thing like that work on screen though.
    Holy crap, I love it so much.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Holy crap, I love it so much.
    But why though ?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    But why though ?
    Because it's unexpected, goes against typical comic book sensibilities, and is frickin' adorable, that's why.

Not everything has to be divested of humor the same way not everything has to be 1:1 in tune with the comic.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Because it's unexpected, goes against typical comic book sensibilities, and is frickin' adorable, that's why.

Not everything has to be divested of humor the same way not everything has to be 1:1 in tune with the comic.
    But sometimes you can overtly rely on humor or cutesy moments at the expense of something meaningful. I don't think tonally or thematically it really fits.

What do I know though, I'm just a comic fan .

BANNED

How would you know if it doesn't fit tonally or thematically?

The movie has only started filming over a week ago, there's no footage or trailer to go off of that shows what sort of tone they're going for, nor do we know how the movie is going to execute how the team gets its name.
    This quite literally something you don't know anything about, because no one does yet.

lol. We comic fans tend to forget how “corny” comics can sometimes be.

Take this reveal:

IMG_6466.jpg

And translate it 1:1 into a movie…and honestly tell me it wouldn’t come off as cheesey as hell. It has “camp” written all over it.

Great page by the way and my 16-ish year old self loved it when I first read it! But not everything translates comics to film well.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's pretty dumb myself.
    Is Ross actually in this movie though? Wiki says Ford is, IMDB says he's not...

Seems it wouldn't make sense to name the team after him if he doesn't even cameo. Maybe this is a way around that + a way to get a quicky joke in the process. I mean on paper it doesn't sound funny but Pugh can make it work, I believe.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post

The movie has only started filming over a week ago, there's no footage or trailer to go off of that shows what sort of tone they're going for, nor do we know how the movie is going to execute how the team gets its name.
    This quite literally something you don't know anything about, because no one does yet.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post

Take this reveal:

IMG_6466.jpg

And translate it 1:1 into a movie…and honestly tell me it wouldn’t come off as cheesey as hell. It has “camp” written all over it.

Great page by the way and my 16-ish year old self loved it when I first read it! But not everything translates comics to film well.
    And this.

Ultimate Member

Take this reveal:

IMG_6466.jpg

Agreed.

That said, I do think they could have captured the feel of 'replacement Avengers battling their own insecurities' if they tried.

Erik stole pym particles but something went wrong and he needs the government's help to stay alive.

Abe was a Shield pilot for Hydra due to peer pressure.

Melissa took a black market Extremis to cheat at MMA and ended up with sonic powers.

I can let go of the reformed villains if they got the characters down, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post

I was kind of expecting a serious tone what with the name, dealing with the Sentry, etc.

But this is the MCU so...

Take this reveal:

IMG_6466.jpg

The only way you could 1:1 replicate this exactly is in a cartoon (Avengers Assemble actually did adapt the classic T-Bolts storyline, funnily enough).

The movies could never achieve it because they would never have pulled off the villain build up.

Take this reveal:

IMG_6466.jpg

I disagree -- the MCU has been way way cornier than this.

To me one of the only reasons this couldn't work is that there are very few recurring villains in the MCU and a lot of the major players who could form a Masters of Evil are dead. And a lot of these characters who form the OG Thunderbolts in the comic haven't been introduced on screen yet and there would need to be more appearances from them so they could be more established.

Another reason is that this reveal is legendary in comics history so there wouldn't be any mystery or surprise around it.
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them

Quote Originally Posted by James Cameron View Post
    I disagree -- the MCU has been way way cornier than this.
    Well I disagree too.

So there's that.

Well I disagree too.

So there's that.
    Omg dude..it's totally fine...it doesn't matter...we're literally just talking
    love is the real "success."
    Free Palestine! 🇵🇸Ceasefire NOW!
    They/Them