Page 1 of 19 1234511 ... LastLast

Default MCU Thunderbolts

I was thinking of this, do you think the MCU missed out on doing a Thunderbolts movie?

It would need to come out sometime next year. Tagline, "The Avengers have failed, now the Thunderbolts are here." The entire movie is based around the Thunderbolts being the heroes. They can defeat some villain. For the post credit scene, that is when it is revealed it is all a con, and they are actually the Masters of Evil. Which would then lead to the sequel. Or do you think audiences would hate that too much?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Incredible Member

Nah. The reveal would be spoiled from the day it was announced, and the audience wouldn't care because there IS no Masters of Evil in the MCU.
    They haven't built up ANY compelling villains to roster the team.

BANNED

It doesn't work because that exact twist has already done on a property with that exact name.

From the moment it is even announced it'll be all over the internet that they're really villains.

It's like doing an adaption of The Usual Suspects and expecting people to be surprised again by the reveal.

I'm afraid to know who the roster would even be.

I would love a MCU Black Knight film though. Or a Shang Chi Netflix show.

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Nah. The reveal would be spoiled from the day it was announced, and the audience wouldn't care because there IS no Masters of Evil in the MCU.
    Yep. That part is going to be tough to get around.

That whole premise hinged on readers at least being fairly aware of the bigger picture.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Yep. That part is going to be tough to get around.

That whole premise hinged on readers at least being fairly aware of the bigger picture.
    It could work have Black Widow and Bucky forced to help the government stop some remnants of Hydra using villains get Zemo who was sympathetic and also creates tension due to actions in Civil War. Last introduce some villains being held by the Government caught off screen and expand on the Homecoming plot of alien and stolen tech being sold to criminals in the MCU.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaShogun View Post
    I'm afraid to know who the roster would even be.

I would love a MCU Black Knight film though. Or a Shang Chi Netflix show.
    Zemo, abomination, shocker, ghost, vulture and someone new (songbird preferably) funded by Justin Hammer.
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Zemo, abomination, shocker, ghost, vulture and someone new (songbird preferably) funded by Justin Hammer.
    Can they actually use Abomination?

I thought that legal issues were the reason there probably wasn't going to be a Hulk solo film.

Given Goliath is now in the MCU I wouldn't mind Atlas that if Ghost is on the team Bill is working with them and creates Atlas or even Tom Foster as a new Goliath maybe make him his son instead of brother.

What about Prowler with Donald Glover?

Quote Originally Posted by keeen View Post
    Though I'm not sure the Thunderbolt twist reallyl works in this day and age... I will say in recent years they've done a slightly better job creating interesting villains.

Mordo, Killmonger, Vulture, and Ego were all pretty cool … not that I think all of them are viable TBolt candidates, but I think they were interesting villains. If they keep it up, I think eventually we will have enough villains to potentially create a Masters of Evil, which down the line can lead to TBolts. Obviously Zemo is already in play, so we have a start.

Spectacular Member

I think it would be as reasonable a movie at any.

I think people 1) overrate the need for the "surprise," I mean Thunderbolts held onto the surprise for less than an issue. So the surprise (to the audience) is really only a small part of the narrative. 2) No one really cared about the Masters of Evil (at least that incarnation of) in Thunderbolts, so I don't think the lack of A-list villains is relevant. I think the only Thunderbolt I had even heard of was Zemo. And it's not like I gave ba damn about him at the time. 3) I think general audiences are good at not spoiling themselves. There are tons of adaptations that could get spoiled, but most people really don't bother.

It could just be a bunch of generic heroes who unmask themselves as classic villains never used before in the MCU with a bigger scheme by the end of Act 1. Act 2 would be the villains gradually having a change of heart but their leader being the real villain, and Act 3 could be the reformed villains vs. the leader. Of course, the real story -- Masters of Evil or not -- is how the team of villains become a team of heroes on their own volition (which is an important distinction from Suicide Squad, who were forced into the role).

Granted, that means overhauling a *lot* of the original concept, but hey, that worked for Guardians of the Galaxy. And as Marvel movies get more sophisticated, the old complaint of their bland villains is starting to fall by the wayside -- Killmonger and Vulture were fairly sympathetic and human villains (at least by MCU standards).
    Last edited by Cyke; 07-09-2018 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Can they actually use Abomination?

I thought that legal issues were the reason there probably wasn't going to be a Hulk solo film.
    I would assume so since it would be a ensemble movie rather than a solo movie. They used Ross in civil war and infinity war

Also there was a hulk stand alone movie
    Stick "we work together and we get out of here alive"

Matt "peace out suckas"

Thunderbolts wouldn't be impossible...you have Zemo and a couple others...with the integration of Fox properties and the coproduced Spidey stuff...you could introduce more. Zemo obviously is around and was somewhat a sympathetic character. As someone mentioned above you could potentially include Fishburne. Ghost as well.

You could have Hawkeye lead the team as he did in the comics, and even have Ant-Man join up as a reformed con who just helped launch a new business with ex-cons..seems like he could be into second chances.

You could even toss some people like Winter Soldier and Black Widow into that mix, though he could be the new Cap if Evans is out. Natasha would go work with Clint though, maybe?

Hawkeye
    Ant-Man
    Zemo
    Goliath (just have Fishburne be a Pym type of lab/tech guy)
    Ghost
    Black Widow

That's a couple of Avengers for continuity...Ant-Man who is well established now...and then some wild card characters. Zemo and Ghost mainly could cause headaches for Clint/Natasha while Scott plays peace-keeper and provides comedic relief.

Now I'm just going off characters we have already seen...you could augment this lineup as the universe moves forward and expands.