View Poll Results: Should superheroes age?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

33 60.00%
  • No

22 40.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yes, I think they should age. Not at real time, but I think they should age, have character development over time, etc. And I think it should be possible for them to step aside to allow a successor to take their place in cases where it would make sense, but I wouldn't do that too frequently, and it should ideally come with some leadin time to allow the new character to catch on. But I realize i am kind of in the minority there.

if Iron Heart is the future then these characters should definitely not age.

Yes they should
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

iMan 42s

Characters indeed age, it's just that they don't age in real time. This is how you get the weirdness that is the MU timeline because modern writer start accounting for things like modern conveniences like cell-phones, and when used earlier than they appeared in the real world they move things forward compensate.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

In case people still read Image Comics from the superhero side, their characters have been aging normally like Savage Dragon who recently passed away due to natural causes in old age and his son all grown up has taken over. That's how depressing it would get knowing you'll never see the original again.

Yes absolutely. Otherwise we're always going to get the same stories. Peter Parker will always be a geeky science kid with teen angst, Tony Stark dealing with addiction and being an egomaniac, Steve Rogers forever a man out of time and at war, Thor having to become worthy of Mjolnir and his father, etc. etc.

This topic could just as much be a battle between narrative merits and business/financial interests. Getting rid of continuity and telling stories (relatively) in real time halts and/or slows a character's evolution to a crawl. Part of the thrill of an epic narrative is a beginning, middle and eventually an end. What if Cap begins to find some measure of peace that is at odds with his soldier mentality? What if Thor actually forsakes Midgard and refuses to allow himself to love a mortal?

Obviously Marvel and DC do not want to age their characters because they've grown so far beyond their original purpose to become massive IP's all across various mediums and products. So yes, I know that aging the characters and replacing them with different ones or passing down their legacy "endangers" their IP value, though even now I question that notion since the comic book market is minuscule in comparison to toys, games and movies among other properties.

I think it'd be fascinating to see a parallel "elseworlds" type of What If? universe where you go back in time, say, to the death of Jean Grey in the 80s and continue the narrative from there, before so many new characters were introduced and tell some stories in relative real-time.

No. They should just do what DC did back in the 60's and update them and put them on a new Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Obviously Marvel and DC do not want to age their characters because they've grown so far beyond their original purpose to become massive IP's all across various mediums and products. So yes, I know that aging the characters and replacing them with different ones or passing down their legacy "endangers" their IP value, though even now I question that notion since the comic book market is minuscule in comparison to toys, games and movies among other properties.
    This is the part I don't get about the companies wanting to keep the characters always the same. Would the monetary merchandising value of the characters be reduced if they were allowed to get older and change? (well, more than happens already) I don't think so. The people who buy the merchandise, if they are not reading comics already anyway, they are unlikely to start because they bought some merch, so it makes no difference to them if the character is currently different in the comics. Those that do go on to read a book because they bought a T-shirt, is it really such a hard concept to grasp that character development happens, and that the merchandise they bought had an earlier version of the character? I think people would understand that. Such character development happens all the time in long running TV shows, and they still sell merchandise of the characters. It's fine. Yeah, I guess changing the characters would possibly make it harder to make merchandise of the current version of the character, because there are fewer people reading the comics, but if i had to choose between merchandise that reflected the current status quo and the stories, I'd pick the stories. I can live with 'classic' depictions in the merchandise.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Was watching this video by Comicstorian that was talking about whether characters should age and pass on the mantles to others.

They make a good case. Passing on mantles like Iron Man to Riri may have gone down better if Tony was aging out of being a superhero and trained Riri to take his place. I like the idea that eventually these heroes will retire for good or maybe die heroically (permanently) and let a new generation take over. I wouldn't them to age in real time, but definitely age instead of this suspended animation they're in now. It would be cool to see the Marvel landscape look completely different with new and different heroes 20 years from now.

What do you guys think?
    No.

Bad enough I have to age without my heroes going downhill as well.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raye View Post
    Yes, I think they should age. Not at real time, but I think they should age, have character development over time, etc. And I think it should be possible for them to step aside to allow a successor to take their place in cases where it would make sense, but I wouldn't do that too frequently, and it should ideally come with some leadin time to allow the new character to catch on. But I realize i am kind of in the minority there.
    Character development is not always the same as aging.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Yes. They're always introducing new teen heroes, giving fans a chance to get to know and love them, and then shoving them back into the background again so that they can revert the older characters to the old status quo. Let the old characters have their happily ever afters, their families and children, their retirement parties, even the occasional permanent death. It's not as if there aren't hundreds of teen and young adult heroes available to take over!

Honestly in thinking about it more, I don't understand why this topic we had a great solution in Ultimate Universe and I think people would be accepting if we had the normal universe which is stuck in its slower than normal timeline and Ultimate Universe where you have free reign to play around with concepts and go full reboot when it is necessary. Why do we have to pick when they can do both?

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Honestly in thinking about it more, I don't understand why this topic we had a great solution in Ultimate Universe and I think people would be accepting if we had the normal universe which is stuck in its slower than normal timeline and Ultimate Universe where you have free reign to play around with concepts and go full reboot when it is necessary. Why do we have to pick when they can do both?
    Very good point. I really do miss the Ultimate Universe.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Sure, why not? You can still milk a character for decades while allowing them to age. It's not like you have to pick one or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Very good point. I really do miss the Ultimate Universe.
    I thought the Ultimate Universe was a lot of fun too.

But I think the appeal sort of started to fade once the regular 616 started almost feeling like the Ultimate Universe with the Civil War and Dark Reign stuff. Not that it was exactly the same, because I think they started feeling similar enough in tone to where it hurt the Ultimate Universe a bit.

But maybe they can try again down the line.