Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Dracula Untold (spoilers)

Anyone seen this? This movie like is gonna bomb as much as the Del Toro Wolfman movie. People prefer haunted houses and haunted puppets, it seems. The old monsters are dying out.

Warrior King Vlad overun by Turks decides to become vampire to fight them.

It has what it describes but it's a flick or a concept that is not allowed to "breath" so to speak. There's interesting elements in it but Vlad becomes a vampire right away and then is a super-human dude and then it goes to the ultimate confrontation. They should have shown us an hour of Vlad Tepes being a warrior King, show us where his reputation comes from, show us him being a badass warrior, maybe go into the politics of being a King. Personaly I wanted to have the whole Vlad Dracula experience before he became a vampire. If anything, there's too much supernatural stuff. If we would have had time to see his pain and problems as ruler then when he becomes a vampire, we've waited him to tap into it so he can solve his problems, the pay off would have been great and it would have "earned" it.

Speaking of which, the whole Vald as a vampire thing, there's this annoying bat effects that happens everytime he uses his powers that is pretty underwhelming. It would have been better had it had been only him flying with his fangs and that never happens or just have him be a half-man, half-bat.

The good is that the lead actor playing Dracula is not bad. You got good sword fights and the time there was scary elements it's at the end when Spoilers below:

A few of Vlad's people have turned into vampires and he cannot control them and they are about to turn on him.

I like that they set this up for a sequel, cause you have Dracula walking in modern times even though there's no chances of this happening.

All in all, I'd rather that this would have been The Bram Stocker's Dracula Gary Oldman Dracula. I mean at the beginning he just looked like this badass warrior, this is the Vlad the Impaler movie I would have loved to see.
    Last edited by Da Boat; 10-11-2014 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Da Boat View Post
    Anyone seen this? This movie like is gonna bomb as much as the Del Toro Wolfman movie. People prefer haunted houses and haunted puppets, it seems. The old monsters are dying out.
    I enjoyed the Del Toro Wolfman myself. But yeah, the horror movie trends are pretty different now. You may want to use a few spoilers tags in your post for those that havent seen the movie yet. I plan to check it out tonight.

Saw it last night. Enjoyed it very much. It has some glaring flaws, such as awkward pacing during the first half, but it comes together in the second. This is pretty much the closest we're going to get to a Castlevania movie.

And Dracula soloing an army? AWESOME.
    Life is but a dream

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    Saw it last night. Enjoyed it very much. It has some glaring flaws, such as awkward pacing during the first half, but it comes together in the second. This is pretty much the closest we're going to get to a Castlevania movie.

And Dracula soloing an army? AWESOME.
    I get the vibe that was what it is but the studio execs feared fans would be scared away from a video game movie so they had to change the title to what we see now. And a few other things

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    I get the vibe that was what it is but the studio execs feared fans would be scared away from a video game movie so they had to change the title to what we see now. And a few other things
    If they titled this CastleVania Origins, I would be proclaiming this the greatest videogame movie to date.
    Life is but a dream

Incredible Member

Wrote about it in the 31 Days of Halloween thread. It's just OK.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Wrote about it in the 31 Days of Halloween thread. It's just OK.
    That is how I feel about this. Nothing too groundbreaking but not too horrible either. Although I still wouldn't mind a Dracula movie where Dracula is...You know...Evil.

Thanks Mods!
    Last edited by Da Boat; 10-12-2014 at 05:40 PM.

Sorry I have no idea why my thread has a thumb up.
    To the film, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Legato View Post
    That is how I feel about this. Nothing too groundbreaking but not too horrible either. Although I still wouldn't mind a Dracula movie where Dracula is...You know...Evil.
    At least one that would act like the bastard slaughtering Voivod that he was known as.

Bram Stocker's Dracula played this almost perfectly, he becomes a vampire by losing his soul, turning on God. Not just to use new powers for his plaything.
    Last edited by Da Boat; 10-11-2014 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Knight View Post
    To the film, perhaps?
    I thought it was just OK and a missed opportunity.

At least one that would act like the bastard slaughtering Voivod that he was known as.
    Well, he did give that vibe, after they tried to burn him alive.

Or, putting all those people on the pikes, was a fairly horrible thing, sure.

A lot of others, I guess, but for the most part, yes, a tortured, tormented soul, trying his best to protect his people, his wife and his son. A desperate act, made by a desperate man, with love in his heart, but there are examples of the darkness.

I thought it was just OK and a missed opportunity.
    Do you feel it should get a sequel, and that it should be the start to the Universal Monster-verse, or just The Mummy?

Do you feel it should get a sequel, and that it should be the start to the Universal Monster-verse, or just The Mummy?
    Yea I would enjoy that for sure. I thought the actor that played Dracula was pretty solid so I think he could pull off a franchise.
    Last edited by Da Boat; 10-11-2014 at 08:37 PM.

Well, he did give that vibe, after they tried to burn him alive.

Or, putting all those people on the pikes, was a fairly horrible thing, sure.

A lot of others, I guess, but for the most part, yes, a tortured, tormented soul, trying his best to protect his people, his wife and his son. A desperate act, made by a desperate man, with love in his heart, but there are examples of the darkness.
    That was the movie. But it's not clause to the real Vlad Dracula.

I also thought the whole arc of him meeting the Sultan, the Sultan asking for the children of his kingdom and him going to the mountain to become the vampire happened too quickly. I wished we would have seen him do ruthless warlord things for a whole hour before making the sacrifice and turn into a vampire.