Mighty Member

Default Mera: Queen of Atlantis #6/ mini conclusion

Well like Raven Daughter of Darkness there seemed to be little love for this book. While Aquaman was battling a usurper to his throne Mera was drawn into the battle for Queen by first fighting for control of Xebel. Actual conclusion to both wars are in the upcoming Aquaman #38. Good story check it out in trade. Hopefully the trade will combine both storylines but is not essential to enjoying Mera. Anybody got the numbers on this one?
    Last edited by alton; 07-27-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I thought it was a great read!
    And really how can you go wrong with Nicola Scott artwork??
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Just did a search, issue 5 had a sales total of 16,112 copies - which is REALLY low.
    I don't know why, but I was expecting it to sell closer to 20K.

The saddest moment was when Erin and her son learned that Orm wouldn't have come back home. Why Orm??? Why did you have to ruin everything?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I thought it was a great read!
    And really how can you go wrong with Nicola Scott artwork??
    You can if the artwork is actually from Lan Medina[*], not Nicola Scott. Don't believe me? Check the issues' credits again! Scott only did the covers.
    [*] With no disrespect intended to Medina, an artist I've always appreciated.

I enjoyed the series, though it felt more like a subplot of the main story over in Aquaman that was elevated to mini-series status rather than a true standalone storyline. The artwork was good, and it was nice to see Mera headlining her own series.

The best part of issue 6 was Mera using a tiny, simple exercise of her power to defeat Orm rather than some grand display. I enjoyed having my expectations subverted like that.

I actually liked it.

Spectacular Member

The MERA mini series was a solid read. It definitely could have been told interlaced in the pages of the regular Aquaman book. Glad #6 came out same day as Aquaman #38. Aquaman has been firing on all cylinders since #25. Gonna be sad to see Abnett leave the book.

Mighty Member

Default Mera: Queen of Atlantis #6/ mini conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by ArthurCurry View Post
    The MERA mini series was a solid read. It definitely could have been told interlaced in the pages of the regular Aquaman book. Glad #6 came out same day as Aquaman #38. Aquaman has been firing on all cylinders since #25. Gonna be sad to see Abnett leave the book.
    . Thanks for the correction on the Aquaman numbering I corrected it my above post. I wasn't reading it at the time but I may track it down in singles or trade. How were the numbers on this one?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    The saddest moment was when Erin and her son learned that Orm wouldn't have come back home. Why Orm??? Why did you have to ruin everything?!?!?!
    I would not be surprised if this came back to haunt the Aquaman title in the near future with their caring for Orm during his time on land.

I really liked the fact that they went and made FRICKING OCEAN MASTER a sympathetic and relatable character.
    It's always nice when your villain isn't a simple one-note mustache twirling bad guy.
    For me, it's the best depiction of Orm in a VERY LONG TIME.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I loved all 6 issues. What an ending, too!

I hope to get another Mera mini, especially with the film coming out so soon.