Thread: Hellblazer RIP

Spectacular Member Nightcrawler92's Avatar

Default Hellblazer RIP

Hellblazer is gone. Are they bringing back the original Hellblazer? Or did they just give up on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Question1987 View Post
    Are they bringing back the original Hellblazer?
    Was somebody other than John Constantine "Hellblazer" before he was?

If you mean "Are they going to segregate from the regular DC universe and reserve him strictly for a new Vertigo series?", I don't know how likely that would be. And I believe he'llbe connected to the new Justice League Dark series.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Why not return him to Vertigo but allow him to be part of the DCU at the same time? It's not that unheard of to have two different takes on the character or else just lift the Vertigo/ DC ban and have the younger John be part of the DCU and have a proper, R-rated Vertigo book as well.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Was somebody other than John Constantine "Hellblazer" before he was?

If you mean "Are they going to segregate from the regular DC universe and reserve him strictly for a new Vertigo series?", I don't know how likely that would be. And I believe he'llbe connected to the new Justice League Dark series.
    Correct, they said at SDCC that he'll be recurring in JLD.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Why not return him to Vertigo but allow him to be part of the DCU at the same time?
    I think the Vertigo line has changed the focus during the past ten+ years. Do they publish anything any longer even remotely linked to the regular DC universe?
    Do they have any ongoing titles, or does everything seem to be a limited series now?

I think the Vertigo line has changed the focus during the past ten+ years. Do they publish anything any longer even remotely linked to the regular DC universe?
    Do they have any ongoing titles, or does everything seem to be a limited series now?
    This is true but I actually don't think they have any direction. That's the problem. If it were up to me, I would take Vertigo back to their roots of the more... out there characters in the DCU, written for adults with a literary slant.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

The upcoming Sandman Universe imprint-within-the-imprint is the only DCU related stuff Vertigo has slated. All 4 books are supposedly ongoing, but sales will obviously be the deciding factor as to just how "ongoing"...
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

As far as John Constantine, Hellblazer? After 3 failed attempts since 2011 to do a PG version, he clearly doesn't work next to the capes & tights crowd. I'd just as soon see him made a recurring character at this point if they aren't going to do him right.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    This is true but I actually don't think they have any direction. That's the problem. If it were up to me, I would take Vertigo back to their roots of the more... out there characters in the DCU, written for adults with a literary slant.
    While I see what you are saying, that's a bit tougher for DC/Vertigo to do now than back when those roots were taking hold. Never mind that going back to Vertigo could be tough. What would you do? Just start over at number one?

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    While I see what you are saying, that's a bit tougher for DC/Vertigo to do now than back when those roots were taking hold. Never mind that going back to Vertigo could be tough. What would you do? Just start over at number one?
    Yup, with a bunch of other titles like Swamp Thing and Doom Patrol, maybe even Zatanna or Dr Fate. The problem with Vertigo as it stands is that even if they do have good books coming out, they don't have an identity in the way that they once did. The stuff they're putting out now could just as easily be put out by Image, Dark Horse or Oni Press.

Well, that they are no longer about the only game in town isn't about to change.