Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Baby Thanos Member catbellysqueezer's Avatar

Default Modern comic issues that made you go "wow"

I bought Cosmic Ghost Rider #1 last week and it was so good I can't stop recommending it to other people. It's the first comic I ever bought more than one copy of, and if I had a million dollars I'd buy a couple hundred and give them out to anyone who is interested.

I'm new to comics so I'd like to hear what issues of comics you folks read really impressed you and made you want to tell the world about. In particular, I would prefer they be modern (last 10 or so years) and not "classics".
    Baby Thanos

Not sure if they fit exactly within ten years, but the modern comics that really impacted me in the "this's a really good story" way would be Matt Fraction's Hawkeye run (can't really narrow it down to a issue, it's all one thing really), the X-23: Innocence Lost miniseries (that might be older than ten years, but still something I've found to be one of the best comics I've read), and Brian Michael Bendis's two Ultimate Spider-Man entries in the Ultimatum: Requiem line (maybe not the best stories he wrote, but he managed to explain who Spider-Man is and why the character matters better and more eloquently than anyone else in those pages).

I've also found that the "Four Sisters," "Orphans of X" and Squirrel Girl crossover issues/story arcs from All-New Wolverine have been sticking with me.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Gun Theory, and Sabretooth series. In DC it was Identity Crisis And Doomsday.

Pick up anything else with Donny Cates name on it and you should get that same feeling he recently wrote a Thanos series and just started Death of Inhumans and Venom.

Batman Vs Deathstroke

New Iron Man series
    Last edited by Cville; 07-09-2018 at 06:24 PM.

Astonishing Member

Immortal Hulk:1.
    Tony Stark:Iron Man:1.
    Amazing Spider-Man#800 and 801.

Mighty thor 705

Champions 12

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

BANNED

I very vividly remember my jaw dropping in awe at this page. Sue's power. Her commitment to her friends. And her defying the Registration Act.

Falcon's "Thank you" afterwards, as the heroes in the bubble teleported away, had an emotional impact as well.
    Last edited by Star_Jammer; 07-09-2018 at 08:32 PM.

There would be two for me:

1) Waid's Daredevil run, in my opinion, was great overall. With that said Vol. 4 #7 where we learn that Matt's mom Maggie left him and his father because she was suffering from postpartum depression was so heartbreaking and Waid handled it beautifully. For a run that was somestimes criticized for being too "light-hearted" Waid did handle some pretty heavy topics and none better than this.

2) The 2015 Vision mini-series was breathtaking and truly surprised me as I bought the hardcover recently on a recommendation from my LCS without knowing much about it. It may be the single most accessible comic for someone that says they are not into comics. My wife never read a comic before in her life and she loved this book. It doesn't offer much in typical superhero action but it delivers a real emotional punch.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Like Weblurker said Orphans of X. Especially when the armor took the bullets and we see projections of Laura's family.

Another is Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man # 6. The interview between Jonah and Spidey is great!

I'm a big Spider-Man fan so I gotta say Amazing Spider-Man 800.

I'll also go with Secret Wars, Superior Iron Man, and Contest of Champions.

Astonishing Member

I forgot about Thor:1.
    That was a cool comic book as well,usually i get bored by the Thor speech in the stories(English is not my first language,so when Reading stories that have dialogs as in the Thor stories that makes it even more difficult to read for me),having said that i will be buying the next numbers of Thor for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Like Weblurker said Orphans of X. Especially when the armor took the bullets and we see projections of Laura's family.

Another is Peter Parker Spectacular Spider-Man # 6. The interview between Jonah and Spidey is great!

I'm a big Spider-Man fan so I gotta say Amazing Spider-Man 800.

I'll also go with Secret Wars, Superior Iron Man, and Contest of Champions.
    Superior Iron Man was such a great series. If they didn't make Tom Taylor stop who knows how long it would of lasted.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

I'll echo the mention of Vision, which was just stunning, from start to finish.

Can I say everything Stephanie Has has drawn? Because everything she's drawn has made me say "wow." She's amazing.

The first arc of Tamaki's Hulk run. Damn, did that **** ever hit hard.

The recent Black Bolt run. It made me actually like Black Bolt, a character I've always hated.

But I think the single issue I'll highlight was Silver Surfer #13. That entire run by Slott and the Allreds is amazing. One of the best comics of the modern era. And issue #13 absolutely freaking wrecks me.

29dawn (2).jpg

That issue did not play fair at all.

Tony Stark: Iron Man

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Tony Stark: Iron Man

Glad so many people are citing Tony Stark: Iron Man #1. That issue really blew me away, too, with how good it was.

Some other recent issues that impressed me were Mighty Thor #700 and #1 of the new volume. Really, though, pretty much any Thor issue lately.

And Amazing Spider-Man #800 and #801 were incredible.

Also the new Venom #1, Immortal Hulk #1 (and the following issues of both runs have been just as good), and Death of the Inhumans #1.

And I don't know about narrowing it down to a single issue but, boy, Matthew Rosenberg's current Punisher run (which started with #218) has been crazy good and frequently makes me say "Wow!"

A specific issue of a great run that I really love is Deadpool, Vol. 4, #30. You can't go wrong with almost any issue of Gerry Duggan's Deadpool run but this was about 80 pages (I think - it was a big issue) and it was essentially a Deadpool graphic novel in one issue.