View Poll Results: Who is the best Telepath?

Voters
352. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jean

152 43.18%
  • Xavier

90 25.57%
  • Emma

45 12.78%
  • Rachel

11 3.13%
  • Psylocke

21 5.97%
  • Sinister

1 0.28%
  • Exodus

3 0.85%
  • Cassandra Nova

4 1.14%
  • Quentin Quire

4 1.14%
  • Legion

8 2.27%
  • Shadow King

6 1.70%
  • Other

7 1.99%
Page 36 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FIGHT View Post
    Sucks for him and Xavier. everyone else seems to have the 2 abilities together.
    In the very early days of X-men, Charles had minor telekinetic abilities that seemed to mostly affect electronics if I'm remembering right. He has also psi-blasted a sentinel before. Granted, those were the early days. Magneto once had the ability to astral project in those same early days. The Ultimate universe's Charles had low level telekinetic abilities. Stronger than his 616 counterpart, but still a rarely used ability. I'm suddenly reminded of the movie Firestarter where one of two main characters has the primary ability to manipulate minds, but is also slightly telekinetic being able to change channels on the television or cause a pay phone to expell all of its quarters. If you haven't watched this movie it's pretty good. 80s through and through and Drew Barrymore was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I kinda don't like it when people are lumped into the both TK and TP group. It allows the mutant to have a better mastery in some cases and have unique things about them vs the , "Oh well they have both abilities so they're the best". I prefer to have telepaths with skillsets that they are better at than others (ie. Rachel and chronoskimming, Karma and possession, Psylocke and her pre-cog and psychoblaster).
    Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    I agree with you. Telepathy is such a wide sweeping term, with so many facets, and some are more skilled in a specific facet, and others are a jack of all trades.

I personally voted for Jean, as to me she's demonstrated both precision and power in almost all aspects of telepathy.

I think Emma is probably the best when it comes to 'psychic surgery' and implanting thoughts and suggestions undetected. I think she understands brain chemistry the best, and knows how to modify and trigger certain neurotransmitters to achieve her goals, etc etc.

Psylocke, to me has always been a powerhouse telepath. To me she's the one to go to if you needed someone to take someone out with one punch (telepathically). Her raw unleashed psychic strength I think is her strong suit, while minor/precise feats aren't. I'm not saying she can't, or hasn't done these things. I just think comparatively, she's not as skilled in this facet as someone like Emma or Xavier. I also think Psylocke's illusions/perception distortion are top notch, as she uses these in fights most.

Jean and Xavier to me are well rounded telepaths. Good at most facets, great even, but probably not the best in all categories.

If we were grading all the telepaths on 10 specific feats, I think Jean and Xavier would get the best cumulative scores. While Betsy and Emma would score higher in specific feats, and lower in others.

Hope that make sense?
    Yes, it makes sense. I agree with both of you that psychics should have their strengths and weaknesses in regards to each psychic ability (and there are many).

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drey View Post
    In the very early days of X-men, Charles had minor telekinetic abilities that seemed to mostly affect electronics if I'm remembering right. He has also psi-blasted a sentinel before. Granted, those were the early days. Magneto once had the ability to astral project in those same early days. The Ultimate universe's Charles had low level telekinetic abilities. Stronger than his 616 counterpart, but still a rarely used ability. I'm suddenly reminded of the movie Firestarter where one of two main characters has the primary ability to manipulate minds, but is also slightly telekinetic being able to change channels on the television or cause a pay phone to expell all of its quarters. If you haven't watched this movie it's pretty good. 80s through and through and Drew Barrymore was amazing.

Yes, it makes sense. I agree with both of you that psychics should have their strengths and weaknesses in regards to each psychic ability (and there are many).
    Yeah, there were a few times during the original X-Men in which Xavier was able to psi-blast and damage machines and even deflect a crumbling concrete wall. I can't remember if he used pure telekinesis but some of his psychic blasts had telekinetic-like effects, similar to what would be done later with Betsy's psycho-blast.

Xavier also had remote viewing as one aspect of his telepathic talents. In one issue he psychically views what the villain is doing elsewhere and then projects it on the wall so the X-Men can see it too. In another issue, he psychically looks inside a Sentinel to learn about its inner electronic workings.

During the original days, Scott's optic blast wasn't simply a concussive blast. It was concussive on the lower settings, but on the higher settings it was more like a laser that could burn.

Jean also used telepathy (with the help of Xavier's mind machines) a couple times before she officially received telepathy. And shortly after she officially had telepathy, she did a couple psychometric-like feats with it. For example she perceived what had happened in Havok's empty dorm room by "reading the thoughts of the last people who had been in the room" (she was picking up thoughts from the recent past by scanning the room and its objects) and she later perceives that Mesmero had rigged explosives in a room as soon as she entered the room. There was another moment where she senses an incoming blast, but it is unclear if she was reading the thoughts of the assailants or if it was precognition.

Jean could also feel/probe objects out of her sight with her telekinesis.

There seemed to be more emphasis on Angel's other bird like qualities/senses such as his sight, speed, maneuverability etc during the early days. Iceman also used his powers in creative ways (ice pellets, ice cubes/blocks, poles, boomerang shaped constructs etc). He even created Ice-men duplicates once. He couldn't animate them at that time, like he does now. Jean had to do that with her telekinesis (when they fought Blastar).

I really like how their powers were portrayed during those years.

Not everyone. There are several characters with just one

BANNED

I think that's why they are excellent in their perspective roles. I like Higher feats and talents, than being a jack of all trades types.

Quote Originally Posted by Askani's Flame View Post
    I kinda don't like it when people are lumped into the both TK and TP group. It allows the mutant to have a better mastery in some cases and have unique things about them vs the , "Oh well they have both abilities so they're the best". I prefer to have telepaths with skillsets that they are better at than others (ie. Rachel and chronoskimming, Karma and possession, Psylocke and her pre-cog and psychoblaster).
    I agree with this. Todd Nauck created a character named Psi-Mistress. While she was a Great Telepath , her greatest skill was in Mental Defense. She wasn't the best on Attack, but could break mental control, shield others, etc. I like the Telepaths with weaknesses and strengths. I do wish marvel had more Telepaths of color.

Quote Originally Posted by PsionicHero View Post
    I agree with you. Telepathy is such a wide sweeping term, with so many facets, and some are more skilled in a specific facet, and others are a jack of all trades.

I personally voted for Jean, as to me she's demonstrated both precision and power in almost all aspects of telepathy.

I think Emma is probably the best when it comes to 'psychic surgery' and implanting thoughts and suggestions undetected. I think she understands brain chemistry the best, and knows how to modify and trigger certain neurotransmitters to achieve her goals, etc etc.

Psylocke, to me has always been a powerhouse telepath. To me she's the one to go to if you needed someone to take someone out with one punch (telepathically). Her raw unleashed psychic strength I think is her strong suit, while minor/precise feats aren't. I'm not saying she can't, or hasn't done these things. I just think comparatively, she's not as skilled in this facet as someone like Emma or Xavier. I also think Psylocke's illusions/perception distortion are top notch, as she uses these in fights most.

Jean and Xavier to me are well rounded telepaths. Good at most facets, great even, but probably not the best in all categories.

If we were grading all the telepaths on 10 specific feats, I think Jean and Xavier would get the best cumulative scores. While Betsy and Emma would score higher in specific feats, and lower in others.

Hope that make sense?
    Agree with you on Emma. Emma is basically a Psychic Doctor, she knows the mind in and out, this allows her to use the bodies of others and unleash so much untapped potential.
    Although Psylocke had a tremendous power with her Psychoblast, during the Pre-ninja days, she used her abilities in a myriad of ways, with a lot of skill, and finesse. She'd Psychoblast a fool as a last resort, preferring mind tricks and such. She lost a LOT of that in the ninja mode. I don't think her overall power levels are where they used to be, but close. I Ignore everything Omega.

Jean is the most well rounded of the Telepaths and the most experienced next to Xavier. While Xaviers mental abilities are why he gets shuffled off to the sidelines, because he's too powerful for shitty writers lol.

Even Bobby stated how they'd get into a fight and just hold the badguy off until Xavier showed up lol.

Quote Originally Posted by DurararaFTW View Post
    Hellion has no telepathic abilities whatsoever.
    i know but he has tk abilities hence why i mentioned him

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    Yeah, there were a few times during the original X-Men in which Xavier was able to psi-blast and damage machines and even deflect a crumbling concrete wall. I can't remember if he used pure telekinesis but some of his psychic blasts had telekinetic-like effects, similar to what would be done later with Betsy's psycho-blast.

Xavier also had remote viewing as one aspect of his telepathic talents. In one issue he psychically views what the villain is doing elsewhere and then projects it on the wall so the X-Men can see it too. In another issue, he psychically looks inside a Sentinel to learn about its inner electronic workings.

During the original days, Scott's optic blast wasn't simply a concussive blast. It was concussive on the lower settings, but on the higher settings it was more like a laser that could burn.

Jean also used telepathy (with the help of Xavier's mind machines) a couple times before she officially received telepathy. And shortly after she officially had telepathy, she did a couple psychometric-like feats with it. For example she perceived what had happened in Havok's empty dorm room by "reading the thoughts of the last people who had been in the room" (she was picking up thoughts from the recent past by scanning the room and its objects) and she later perceives that Mesmero had rigged explosives in a room as soon as she entered the room. There was another moment where she senses an incoming blast, but it is unclear if she was reading the thoughts of the assailants or if it was precognition.

Jean could also feel/probe objects out of her sight with her telekinesis.

There seemed to be more emphasis on Angel's other bird like qualities/senses such as his sight, speed, maneuverability etc during the early days. Iceman also used his powers in creative ways (ice pellets, ice cubes/blocks, poles, boomerang shaped constructs etc). He even created Ice-men duplicates once. He couldn't animate them at that time, like he does now. Jean had to do that with her telekinesis (when they fought Blastar).

I really like how their powers were portrayed during those years.
    I love all of this. I'd love to see more of these long lost abilities. Warren especially as they always focus on his wings and forget about the other enhanced qualities he possesses. For instance, he has hollow bones and no body fat so he'd possibly be faster than an Olympic level runner. His enhanced sight would give him an edge with firearms or scouting perimeters, etc.

BANNED

Originally in 1963, Jean was supposed to be just a telekinetic. Xavier was the only telepath. Each X-Men would have her/his own unique powers.

Later writers gave Jean an extra power which is not her original power which overlaps with Xavier. Can't remember which issue, it could be when Xavier died.

So Xavier is the original telepath and most powerful.
    Last edited by jalsrix; 09-27-2018 at 08:05 PM.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

What would be the difference between skill and power when it comes to telephaty?

for example some people say that Emma is more skilled than Jean and other say that Jean is more powerful than Emma.

In what way could Emma be better or do something than Jean couldn't? or viceversa, what could Jean do better than Emma?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    What would be the difference between skill and power when it comes to telephaty?

for example some people say that Emma is more skilled than Jean and other say that Jean is more powerful than Emma.

In what way could Emma be better or do something than Jean couldn't? or viceversa, what could Jean do better than Emma?
    I write Telepaths, and gave an example above of one.

Let's take 4 DC telepaths to change it up some.

**Saturn Girl**
    Saturn Girl specializes more in Psychotherapeutic aspects of Telepathy. She is Highly skilled in Mind Reading, understanding Emotions, Probing deeply into the Minds of other people at a faster rate of speed, using Illusions to great effect. Ability to calm single or Large crowds, prefers to use Sleep, Calm, techniques, rather than harming the brain. She provides the team with quick and in depth information. Her Telpathy as far as Mind Reading and Communication extends to animals, and aliens with no ill effects. Plant Suggestions in weak minds. Detect Mental Life, Etc. She's got a ton of feats if not raw power.
    She's a bit weak on attack, but is able to last long enough for help to arrive, as she is mind linked constantly to the team. Usually the Linchpin for victory, which is why she is Leader so often. Tactics is her thing. She'd be Pre-Ninja Psylocke without the Psychoblast.

**Saturn Queen**
    Saturn Queen understands the mind in so far as Mental Domination. She's got VERY weak Telepathic attacks, but is able to Mentally control almost anymind, and has even almost defeated Saturn Girl by going after her mind, but Saturn Girl is a prodigy and able to repulse the attack. Saturn Queen Probes minds only so far as learning about personal gain. She never uses mind links, and is very "selfish" with her powers. She can read minds, but not as many or as fast as Saturn Girl. She's got a lot of Raw Power but limits herself to basically being a master Puppet Master. mentally enslaving large groups of people. But lacks the versatility of Saturn Girl. She's Emma Frost, a master manipulator.

**Esper Lass**
    Esper lass has DEVASTATING Mind Blasts and mental attacks, she is almost always in attack mode, crippling and disabling her foes from range, and showing no ability to control minds, even though she can read a couple minds at a time. She doesn't probe minds, control them, or trick them, she just reads and attacks. she defeated Saturn Girl once because Saturn Girl was unprepared for her attacks, even though her shields held for a time, Esper Lass just brute forced her way in.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tazirai View Post
    I write Telepaths, and gave an example above of one.

Let's take 4 DC telepaths to change it up some.

**Saturn Girl**
    Saturn Girl specializes more in Psychotherapeutic aspects of Telepathy. She is Highly skilled in Mind Reading, understanding Emotions, Probing deeply into the Minds of other people at a faster rate of speed, using Illusions to great effect. Ability to calm single or Large crowds, prefers to use Sleep, Calm, techniques, rather than harming the brain. She provides the team with quick and in depth information. Her Telpathy as far as Mind Reading and Communication extends to animals, and aliens with no ill effects. Plant Suggestions in weak minds. Detect Mental Life, Etc. She's got a ton of feats if not raw power.
    She's a bit weak on attack, but is able to last long enough for help to arrive, as she is mind linked constantly to the team. Usually the Linchpin for victory, which is why she is Leader so often. Tactics is her thing. She'd be Pre-Ninja Psylocke without the Psychoblast.

**Saturn Queen**
    Saturn Queen understands the mind in so far as Mental Domination. She's got VERY weak Telepathic attacks, but is able to Mentally control almost anymind, and has even almost defeated Saturn Girl by going after her mind, but Saturn Girl is a prodigy and able to repulse the attack. Saturn Queen Probes minds only so far as learning about personal gain. She never uses mind links, and is very "selfish" with her powers. She can read minds, but not as many or as fast as Saturn Girl. She's got a lot of Raw Power but limits herself to basically being a master Puppet Master. mentally enslaving large groups of people. But lacks the versatility of Saturn Girl. She's Emma Frost, a master manipulator.

**Esper Lass**
    Esper lass has DEVASTATING Mind Blasts and mental attacks, she is almost always in attack mode, crippling and disabling her foes from range, and showing no ability to control minds, even though she can read a couple minds at a time. She doesn't probe minds, control them, or trick them, she just reads and attacks. she defeated Saturn Girl once because Saturn Girl was unprepared for her attacks, even though her shields held for a time, Esper Lass just brute forced her way in.

Thank you for the explanation!

BANNED

Then lastly you have

**Mentalla**
    The youngest of the 4, and the weakest overall. Mostly because her pride won't let her learn to use her powers in more innovative ways. She can mind read, Probe, and Communicate.
    But her main ability is to secretly control another's actions, using Neural Manipulation. As long as the target is unaware of her using her powers, they'll act the way she wants, until the act is done, or they break her hold subconsciously.
    Her ability is VERY strong, but only when people don't know she's attacking, once they find out, they can break her Neural hold quite easily, and retaliate. But her versatility and power are lacking. She is brave though, it also got her snuffed by the Emerald Empress.

@#Shortpack #@

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Storm. She can manipulate the air into people's brains.
    Love this.

BANNED

Thanks to our lord and savior Hickman, it is confirmed that Jean is the very best telepath ever.

Personally I see it as:

Xavier is the most skilled

Jean is the most powerful

Emma is at an intermediate point where she is stronger than Xavier and more skilled than Jean.

Quentin has the greatest potential not yet exploited.