View Poll Results: Who is the best Telepath?

Voters
325. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jean

    138 42.46%
  • Xavier

    84 25.85%
  • Emma

    43 13.23%
  • Rachel

    11 3.38%
  • Psylocke

    20 6.15%
  • Sinister

    1 0.31%
  • Exodus

    2 0.62%
  • Cassandra Nova

    4 1.23%
  • Quentin Quire

    4 1.23%
  • Legion

    7 2.15%
  • Shadow King

    6 1.85%
  • Other

    5 1.54%
Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748 LastLast
Results 661 to 675 of 711
  1. #661
    Spectacular Member Omega_DCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    That still means that her pink form allows her to channel and unleash an infinite amount of energy. That's beyond anything any other energy manipulator is capable of. That alone should theoretically make her far more powerful than the Phoenix, Cyttorak, or being in that tier.
    So far each time she used it has been a different opponent...so maybe it's more effective as a surprise. Who's to say next time Galactus wouldn't be able to shield his psionic energy from being leeched.

    Also, even with a feat like that, it doesn't mean she has cosmic level stamina or resilience. She's not unbeatable

  2. #662
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Omega_DCD View Post
    So far each time she used it has been a different opponent...so maybe it's more effective as a surprise. Who's to say next time Galactus wouldn't be able to shield his psionic energy from being leeched.

    Also, even with a feat like that, it doesn't mean she has cosmic level stamina or resilience. She's not unbeatable
    Perhaps, but I think the reason Jean doesn't use her Pink Form as an adult is that it ends being similar in tone to the Phoenix: either she gets powered down and nerfed or she goes away. Having a character that can punch beyond Cosmic-weight doesn't work in a street-level series.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

  3. #663
    Ultimate Member Wiccan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    10,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I'm mad because it throws power scaling out the window. Jeen being more powerful than Galactus means that she's more powerful than every X-hero and villain combined. Why was she running from the Phoenix when she could fight her on even terms? Why were they running from Ahab when Jeen could easily beat Ahab and every one of his dudes without coming close to breaking a sweat. Why didn't she just nope Charles Jr and Raze?
    What does any of that have to do with her helping Laura overcome the trigger scent? It didn't have anything to do with her pink form or being stronger than Galactus or how well she could do against Ahab or other villains or how OP she is or isn't. It was pretty much "just" a hardcore therapy session.

  4. #664
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    What does any of that have to do with her helping Laura overcome the trigger scent? It didn't have anything to do with her pink form or being stronger than Galactus or how well she could do against Ahab or other villains or how OP she is or isn't. It was pretty much "just" a hardcore therapy session.
    The Trigger Scent think is annoying. The punching out Galactus is absurd.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

  5. #665
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I'm mad because it throws power scaling out the window. Jeen being more powerful than Galactus means that she's more powerful than every X-hero and villain combined. Why was she running from the Phoenix when she could fight her on even terms? Why were they running from Ahab when Jeen could easily beat Ahab and every one of his dudes without coming close to breaking a sweat. Why didn't she just nope Charles Jr and Raze?
    bc the PF is an ancient cosmic force and she was scared of losing her agency and it controlling her. She was teenager and heard alot of bad stories about it. She had just come into present day bc Cyclops was possessed by it rampaged across the world and killed Xavier. From what she heard, she killed billions after bonding with it. I think she being afraid of it was understandable.

    Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    Yes, that doesn't mean she is more powerful
    Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Exactly, Jeen managed to absorb enough psychic energy from those present and was jacked -- I hope that Jean will pull that absorption stunt in the near future.
    That power up was her own powers. Its not like some external force boosted her. They did make teen Jean OP. She could theoretically psychic absorb any powerful being she faces to boost herself up. Its not merely a temporary boost, but something innate within her that she learned to do. Great feat but what annoyed me about it is that they made her far more powerful and competent than her adult counterpart and that didnt make sense.
    Last edited by Havok83; 08-25-2019 at 07:49 PM.

  6. #666
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    bc the PF is an ancient cosmic force and she was scared of losing her agency and it controlling her. She was teenager and heard alot of bad stories about it. She had just come into present day bc Cyclops was possessed by it rampaged across the world and killed Xavier. From what she heard, she killed billions after bonding with it. I think she being afraid of it was understandable.

    That power up was her own powers. Its not like some external force boosted her. They did make teen Jean OP. She could theoretically psychic absorb any powerful being she faces to boost herself up. Its not merely a temporary boost, but something innate within her that she learned to do. Great feat but what annoyed me about it is that they made her far more powerful and competent than her adult counterpart and that didnt make sense.
    Okay, I won't argue on that -- but, still...




    The Trial of Jean Grey #6

  7. #667
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    bc the PF is an ancient cosmic force and she was scared of losing her agency and it controlling her. She was teenager and heard alot of bad stories about it. She had just come into present day bc Cyclops was possessed by it rampaged across the world and killed Xavier. From what she heard, she killed billions after bonding with it. I think she being afraid of it was understandable.





    That power up was her own powers. Its not like some external force boosted her. They did make teen Jean OP. She could theoretically psychic absorb any powerful being she faces to boost herself up. Its not merely a temporary boost, but something innate within her that she learned to do. Great feat but what annoyed me about it is that they made her far more powerful and competent than her adult counterpart and that didnt make sense.
    This. I know they wanted her to spotlight, given the circumstances. It made sense. But giving her these absurd level feats ends up making adult Jean look so much worse.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

  8. #668
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    This. I know they wanted her to spotlight, given the circumstances. It made sense. But giving her these absurd level feats ends up making adult Jean look so much worse.
    I'd say that Adult Jean would only look bad if she didn't gain the memories of how to combine her TK/TP like her younger self could when she gained the memories on how to neutralize Maxime's and Manon's powers.
    Last edited by Shreene; 08-26-2019 at 12:48 PM.

  9. #669
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    I'd say that Adult Jean would only look bad if didn't the gain the memories of how to combine her TK/TP like her younger self could when she gained the memories on how to neutralize Maxime's and Manon's powers.
    You're missing the point. The point is that from the moment Jeen arrived in the future, she was instantly far more powerful than Jean, Rachel, Emma or Charles ever were. Without the Phoenix, none of them have ever accomplished what Jeen did, despite her having almost no experience with combat, her powers, or anything from the future. So it makes Jean look a lot worse.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

  10. #670
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    You're missing the point. The point is that from the moment Jeen arrived in the future, she was instantly far more powerful than Jean, Rachel, Emma or Charles ever were. Without the Phoenix, none of them have ever accomplished what Jeen did, despite her having almost no experience with combat, her powers, or anything from the future. So it makes Jean look a lot worse.
    Jeen didn't discover she could combine her TK/TP until the Shi'ar tried to kill her -- but, that's not what I'm alluding to... There should be no reason why adult jean can't combine her TK/TP as of now being that she currently has the memories of doing so as a teenager.

  11. #671
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,112

    Default

    I... don't agree that teen Jean was immediately portrayed as better than all of the other telepaths. When she came to the present, the top telepath was Rachel. Emma was incapacitated and Charles was dead - Rachel was the one with the power and the experience to back it up while teen Jean only had raw power and potential. She didn't start coming into her own until she started getting experience and getting trained by Emma Frost: before then she was a telepathic wrecking ball doing what she pleased bc power corrupts, being unable to block out peoples' thoughts, and generally learning and making mistakes. She was stumped by Emma and her Cuckoo's at least once, and her older self from the Battle of the Atom future + Xavier Jr.

    "I'll always love you, Jean Grey." "I'll always love you too, Scott Summers." - Scott Summers and Jean Grey

  12. #672
    Spectacular Member Omega_DCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Teen Jean showed how debilitating it was for Xavier to wall off parts of her powers from each other. Combining her TP and TK shows what is possible when her powers develop in tandem naturally.

    By contrast, OG Jean has had to deal with having her TP locked for quite a while, then her telepathy was damaged by Mr. Fantastic's probing of the cocoon in which she was healing...then later losing her TK in the power swap

    Teen Jean also had knowledge of what she is capable of from everyone's memories, had less reason to hold back,and was in a tougher environment, which fast tracked her development. On the job experience ;-)

  13. #673
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shreene View Post
    Jeen didn't discover she could combine her TK/TP until the Shi'ar tried to kill her -- but, that's not what I'm alluding to... There should be no reason why adult jean can't combine her TK/TP as of now being that she currently has the memories of doing so as a teenager.
    Because the Pink Form as it has been portrayed is a beyond cosmic level ability, capable of effortlessly beating the most powerful opponents the X-Men could ever hope to fight. The conditions to use it: that there is enough ambient psychic energy in the area, is laughably easy to achieve. She KOed the entire Shi'Ar Imperial Guard without it, and effortlessly dunked Gladiator with it. As long as she has it, more and more contrived reasons for why Jean doesn't just effortlessly end the battle right there have to happen, or the suspension of disbelief is gone. Hell, Emma isn't as powerful as Jean, but they still had to make "Anti-telepathy nanites" just to stop Emma from incapacitating every Avenger during the First Battle of Utopia in AvX.

    That's the reason we don't see Jean use that power: it breaks the story.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

  14. #674
    Astonishing Member PsychoEFrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    4,220

    Default

    Go back to the Trial of Jean Grey. The Imperial Guard was stomping the coalition of Star-Lord, Gamora, Angela, X-23, Tyke, Tangel, Tank, Tobby, Drax, Groot, Kitty, and Rocket. Drax being someone capable of fighting Hulk to a draw.

    Jeen then effortlessly takes out every single one of them by herself, despite them having an extremely powerful telepath in Oracle, with almost zero trouble.

    If you don't see what's wrong with that situation, I don't know what to tell you.
    "It is the truest mark of heroism: to give your life aware that those you save will never know."

  15. #675
    Spectacular Member Omega_DCD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    139

    Default

    She was caged and put on trial, she escaped and was running for her life. She was put through a crucible and that was the result, she tells Oracle exactly that. Incidentally, trying to escape is also the first time she was able to fly telekinetically

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •