Default Golden Age Uncle Sam appreciation thread

NOTE: This thread is intended to celebrate the original version of Uncle Sam, who first received a regular comic book feature back in 1940.
    This is NOT intended to be a thread about the later reimagining of the character by Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti that resulted from the aftermath of 2005-2006's Infinite Crisis.

The comic book hero called Uncle Sam first appeared in Quality Comics' National Comics #1, cover-dated July 1940.

His final Golden Age appearance as a feature appears to be in National Comics #45 (December 1944). Then, nearly thirty years later, Sam and several other former Quality Comics characters would be brought into DC Comics continuity in the pages of Justice League of America #107 (September-October 1973).

from National Comics #1:

(to be continued . . . )

continuing the story from National Comics #1:

(still more to come . . . )

more from National Comics #1:

from Secret Origins #19 (October 1987):

Not a fan of Uncle Sam myself. He's too....overtly a propaganda piece. At least this variant. I feel the concept has alot of merit in it though and wish the idea of 'National Avatars' was explored more. Both good and bad. So the Weimar Republic is brutally murdered by the Facist German Avatar only to get weaker as the war crushes German spirits till John Bull, Uncle Sam and whatever the Russian version is murder him.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Not a fan of Uncle Sam myself. He's too....overtly a propaganda piece. At least this variant. I feel the concept has alot of merit in it though and wish the idea of 'National Avatars' was explored more. Both good and bad. So the Weimar Republic is brutally murdered by the Facist German Avatar only to get weaker as the war crushes German spirits till John Bull, Uncle Sam and whatever the Russian version is murder him.
    Check out the Alex Ross Uncle Sam book. There is a part where he meets other National Avatars like Britannia. Also it’s just a damn good story.

I've heard of it. It sounds good in that it acknowledges Americas **** ups. Like Cap can dodge that issue because he explicitly follows the ideals of America not IS America.