Thread: Don Heck

Default Don Heck

Don Heck was one of the most underrated and underappreciated artists of the silver age and co creator of Iron man, Hawkeye, the Black Widow and others. I have never understood why he isn't recognized more for his work.

http://www.amazon.ca/Don-Heck-Work-J...words=don+heck

I found this book on amazon detailing his artwork, interviews and discussions.

What was your favourite Don Heck story he drew?

Funny enough I've been going through the X-Men issues that he's drawn, I did enjoy his art and he should be recognised.
    Life Finds A Way
    God Loves Man Kills
    What Is Thy Bidding My Master
    Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
    Till All Are One

Amazing Member

First discovered his work during his run on "The Flash." At the time, I was completely unaware of his long history in comics. More recently, I've read his "Avengers" work in reprints, and I agree that he deserves to be remembered as one of the Silver Age greats.

When he inked himself, his work could be really scratchy. I remember Romeo Tanghal inking him on JLA & I really enjoyed it. I'll have to give some of his work another look. His Flash run was pretty good. He drew very elegant women. He's not one of my favorites but I'm always happy to hear artists like him get credit. I used to not care for Gil Kane or Jack Kirby & I love them now.

Amazing Member

I like his 1967-1969 work best.As the 70's progressed into the 80's and 90's, marvel gave him less and less work.When inked by Wally Wood, it shined.

I'm not a big Don Heck fan and I've read more than my fair share of Silver Age Marvel. Maybe, I could persuaded otherwise with some pics of people's favorite Heck art, but I can't remember anything from my masterworks reading that I found endearing.

I have read Don Heck's Avengers issues and I find them less than classic. There are several issues in that run that would be far more entertaining if some other artist had drawn them.

Incredible Member

My only exposure to Don Heck is the work he did on Wonder Woman in the mid-80s before Crisis, and this was a real low point of the series and at the end of his working career. From his Wikipedia page, though, it seems that he excelled at non-superhero work in the 50s, and I might search for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    Don Heck was one of the most underrated and underappreciated artists of the silver age and co creator of Iron man, Hawkeye, the Black Widow and others. I have never understood why he isn't recognized more for his work.

http://www.amazon.ca/Don-Heck-Work-J...words=don+heck

I found this book on amazon detailing his artwork, interviews and discussions.

What was your favourite Don Heck story he drew?
    Probably his Avengers two-parter, with the Living Laser, if for no other reason than we see Cap's shield destroyed, before it was retconned into being indestructible.

Heck excelled at pretty women and was better suited to non-superhero comics, as that is where his heart lay, even if it didn't pay the bills as well.

I loved Don Heck's Avengers. And his Iron Man work--it was like watching a movie: the storytelling, the camera angles...and IMO no other artist was as adept at both glamorous (Tony, Pepper) and character (Happy) people.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.j. View Post
    When inked by Wally Wood, it shined.
    I loved the Heck-Wood team on Avengers#20.

This is the Swordsman from that issue btw

You know, to be completely honest...I enjoyed his work far more than Kirby's in SA Avengers. It just looked..cleaner.
    I've read the first FF omnibus as well and I didn't quite get the admiration behind Kirby's work. But I have glanced at some of his panels later in his career and it wasn't until then that I started to see why he's so beloved.