Incredible Member

Default Kelly Thompson (writer of Rogue & Gambit, Mr. & Mrs. X) is making an AMA

Is anyone going to ask you some questions?

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...rvels_hawkeye/

My question got answered. I asked for spoiler-free clues as to her two unannounced books. One is due to be announced before SDCC. I think that's Jessica Jones, but I know she can't confirm that so I didn't mention it. It's an ongoing though, whatever it is. The second one will be announced next month (for release in November), and is something new to her.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

That's awesome Digifiend.

I really enjoyed reading through the AMA. I really liked AppleJ's questions and Kelly's answers

AppleJ1552

Huge fan of all your work, but Rogue and Gambit are far and away my favorite comic book characters! Thank you for bringing them back together in such a huge and meaningful way. What do you as a writer think these characters do for each other and bring to their relationship? What do they see in each other and love about each other that no other romantic partner has been able to do for either of them?

semifinalist1979
    Verified Creator

Thank you!

I think there's sometimes a tendency - especially with "modern Rogue" as she's become more of a leader - to make her sort of boring and stick in the mud. Super responsible ALL THE TIME. And I don't want her to be irresponsible or not a leader (I like to see character grow) but I do think sometimes her sassiness and her brash aspects get filed off sometimes...and I love those things about her. And I think Gambit brings those things out in her. He makes her playful...if only so she can try to keep up with him. Some might want to write her as the nag to his devil may care, but I think it's the opposite. I think hanging out with Remy gives her a chance to cut loose and push on her boundaries.

For Remy, I think Rogue anchors him really well. Sometimes, without that anchor he can seem too flighty, too irresponsible, too emotionally detached...but I don't think he's any of those things. I think he's an extremely deep character who has developed some "ticks" that help protect him in any situation (jokes, charisma, flirting) - but Rogue cuts right through all of that for him. He can't even pretend not to care. He cares SO MUCH. And it's a great look on him. Yes, it can get too lovesick or too focused on Rogue (instead of himself) if handled wrong, but in general I think caring and putting others above himself is actually a big part of who he is.

BrerRabbit44

Hi Kelly big fan congratulations of the marriage.

What you you think Rogues and Gambits personality's would be like if they were born with each other powers?

semifinalist1979
    Verified Creator

Thanks for coming by! I hope you love MMX (Mr. & Mrs. X)!

Wow. I think they'd be VERY different people. Especially Remy. But I like to think they still would have found each other and fallen in love anyway. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Romy Ship View Post

I really enjoyed reading through the AMA. I really liked AppleJ's questions and Kelly's answers

AppleJ1552

Huge fan of all your work, but Rogue and Gambit are far and away my favorite comic book characters! Thank you for bringing them back together in such a huge and meaningful way. What do you as a writer think these characters do for each other and bring to their relationship? What do they see in each other and love about each other that no other romantic partner has been able to do for either of them?

semifinalist1979
    Verified Creator

Thank you!

I think there's sometimes a tendency - especially with "modern Rogue" as she's become more of a leader - to make her sort of boring and stick in the mud. Super responsible ALL THE TIME. And I don't want her to be irresponsible or not a leader (I like to see character grow) but I do think sometimes her sassiness and her brash aspects get filed off sometimes...and I love those things about her. And I think Gambit brings those things out in her. He makes her playful...if only so she can try to keep up with him. Some might want to write her as the nag to his devil may care, but I think it's the opposite. I think hanging out with Remy gives her a chance to cut loose and push on her boundaries.

For Remy, I think Rogue anchors him really well. Sometimes, without that anchor he can seem too flighty, too irresponsible, too emotionally detached...but I don't think he's any of those things. I think he's an extremely deep character who has developed some "ticks" that help protect him in any situation (jokes, charisma, flirting) - but Rogue cuts right through all of that for him. He can't even pretend not to care. He cares SO MUCH. And it's a great look on him. Yes, it can get too lovesick or too focused on Rogue (instead of himself) if handled wrong, but in general I think caring and putting others above himself is actually a big part of who he is.

BrerRabbit44

What you you think Rogues and Gambits personality's would be like if they were born with each other powers?

semifinalist1979
    Verified Creator

Wow. I think they'd be VERY different people. Especially Remy. But I like to think they still would have found each other and fallen in love anyway. ;D
    Was just about to post this randomly then saw yours. That was the best answer in the whole AMA.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

AppleJ1552

semifinalist1979
    Verified Creator

Thank you!

BrerRabbit44

semifinalist1979
    Verified Creator

THESE are the kinds of writers The X-Men deserve those who know the character and wishes to grow them in ways that respect their past while allowing them to move into their future.

For much too long we've gotten writers at least those who head the flagship titles, writing their own stories and forcing whatever character they needed for the moment into whatever situation the story requires at that moment.

Some questions I asked and got answered.

Q: How much control does Rogue have over her absorption? She seemed to not knock out Deadpool when she kissed him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly Thompson
    Rogue currently has no control over her absorption. My read on the situation in UA is different than yours. I think she WAS absorbing him just like normal, but that his powers were kicking in and continually "healing" him, thus keeping him from being killed/fully absorbed. But you'd have to ask the brilliant Gerry Duggan and Pepe Larraz if that was their intention there.
    Q: It's not something I remember ever seeing on panel, but did Rogue ever really train to control her powers? Like actual training exercises, measuring and experimenting the effects of her control? It can be a dangerous ability, so maybe there might some hesitance to finding volunteers, but if she's willing to casually use it to kiss opponents during the 80s...

No. She didn't as far as I know. And that's sorta why I have a problem with her having full control - the way it was done is a sort of cheat that jumps over the hardwork. And it's why I think it's GOOD that right now she doesn't have control. That has to come from inside her, not outside her or she'll never really master it. And it's not that she didn't do ANY work, she did some, but basically Xavier (and Danger) came in and "fixed her" and my personal take is that that's why she's lost control now...because she never actually did the work and learned to master her powers herself. I think Carey has been one of the best writers ever for Rogue (if not for #Rambit) - his love for the character is palpable - he defined her so well and he made her into an incredible leader and really grew her character in positive ways...not to mention he had a great handle on her powerset, but I do feel like the resolution on her control was a mistake/missed opportunity.
    Q: She may or may not have taken LeBeau as a last name now, but I'm still curious on why she's left hers such a mystery all these years. Any thoughts on why that might be?

My take is that Rogue feels no tie to that old dead name. It's not who she is and so she has no interest in using it. I don't have any interest in using it either. Truth be told, if I could, I'd get rid of "Anna Marie" too. There's nothing wrong with the name(s)...they're perfectly lovely, they just don't FEEL like Rogue to me. And of course they don't...they were just fill-ins from the films...they don't feel like they come from Rogue/the comics because...well, they don't.

That said...this is always the risk when you don't name someone for a long time. The build up is impossible to live up to! D:

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    Some questions I asked and got answered.

Q: How much control does Rogue have over her absorption? She seemed to not knock out Deadpool when she kissed him.

Q: It's not something I remember ever seeing on panel, but did Rogue ever really train to control her powers? Like actual training exercises, measuring and experimenting the effects of her control? It can be a dangerous ability, so maybe there might some hesitance to finding volunteers, but if she's willing to casually use it to kiss opponents during the 80s...

Q: She may or may not have taken LeBeau as a last name now, but I'm still curious on why she's left hers such a mystery all these years. Any thoughts on why that might be?
    The Duggan with Deadpool was just bad writing on his part, for not having any idea how the powers of Rogue work, because Rogue has left KO to characters more powerful than deadpool, and there is no other interpretation Rogue took the powers of Wade, that's why Wade was without his horible disfigured appearance.

Or the other option is that Duggan Rogue was in control of her absorption (I think this was Duggan's idea, because Wade, did not suffer physical damage, besides that Roguye was selective in what he took).

Kelly was simply very cute defending Duggan, but whether he had no idea how Rogue's absorption works without control, or that he wrote it with control, the Marvel office took care to leave it wrong, and as bad writing, because Rogue still out of control

Regarding Rogue's powers of absorption, Kelly mentions that he does not agree, that he had such rapid control, and on the same day, that he does not agree as MCarey did, and was so powerful with him in so Little time.

She makes it clear that it was a missed opportunity.

I make it very clear that the ideal for her is that Rogue learned little by little what control is, and little by little she was dominating her powers of absorption, with hard work and practice,

I believe that she will address this, and Rogue will take its first steps in regaining control in the hands of Kelly.

Fantastic Member

BrerRabbit44

semifinalist1979
    Verified Creator

This was my question I had also asked Kelly How much would you like to see a meeting between these two happen one day? (I included a fanart picture of the two)

She stated she had no idea who the woman was, which surprised me given that she's aware who the character is in the comics

It's Kara Killgrave the Purple Man's daughter.

I want to give the first issue a shot just on account of KT being such a delight during this Q&A, tbh.

I love that KT’s least favorite story arcs with these two involve mystique because I too hate those weird stories where mystique tries to break the two up

Quote Originally Posted by Muffinman View Post
    I love that KT’s least favorite story arcs with these two involve mystique because I too hate those weird stories where mystique tries to break the two up
    Yeah, Milligan was terrible.